Vaping troubles: British tourists warned of costly holiday mistake

9 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The reason why it just states British tourists is because its from a report from a British newspaper and they focus on British people 

Shhh. lets not let the obvious get in the way of some misguided but enjoyable righteous indignation

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ujayujay said:

prison sentence for vaping....how ridiculous the Thai jurisprudence is

How ridiculous to assume that that is the penalty in every (any?) case.  Not one single report of it ever being applied.

every new rule is an opportunity for corrupt police to enrich themselves ...so.. pls come and vape all you want ...all vapers are welcomed in Thailand 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

I was sat sitting on a bar stool....then you have both cheeks covered.

No, wrong. To be SAT means someone puts you there, SITTING ,means you do it yourself.  Same with STOOD and STANDING.

Or so the late Queen taught me.

4 hours ago, Unamerican said:

What “new rules”?  And the advice is to “bring your own” only when/where this is permitted.. 

I and it even tells us which publication! — The Mirror. 

You are so right missed that must learn to read to the end despite the small print.

• Confused 1

They're sending a very clear message here to the millions of people who use vapes in the UK.

If you're an ex smoker who now uses a 'vape' - NEVER come on holiday to Thailand, or you face arrest.

This should be widely publicised and there should be a popup warning for anyone booking a flight or package holiday to Thailand.

• Thumbs Up 1

40 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There are statistics to justify your "obviously having" claim?

Not that I'm aware of. However, I believe common sense and anecdotal evidence are sufficient for me to hold that opinion.

To me, it's kinda obvious; There may be rare exceptions, but in general, no nicotine addict is going to stop using nicotine when going on holiday. Imagine chosing between two destinations with similar levels of comfort and tropical beauty at a similar budget. At one destination people are risking 10 years in prison for making a smart, informed, personal choice about their nicotine delivery system. At the other there is no such risk.

Which destination would you pick?

If the smoking rates per captia are then looked at (e.g. https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/smoking-rates-by-country) and we see that adult smoker rates remain in the 30 - 50% range for many western and more wealthy eastern countries, then it becomes clear that a very large proportion of visitors to Thailand are nicotine addicts. Potentially criminalising such a large proportion of the visitors a country intends to attract doesn't need statistics to prove it's a bad idea. It obviously is.

8 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Well here is is your answer and it’s not smart arse.

The first line should should give you the clue if the article was written here they wouldn’t say “British tourists heading abroad” this site takes articles from elsewhere and this article was most likely from a publication in the UK.

I posted a comment outlining my thoughts on the wording of the OP and it was removed    So i was probably right

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

maybe direct your anger towards the OP and not the members here.....but then again logic seems to be fleeting here...

can you not distinguish between anger and contempt?  

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

Shhh. lets not let the obvious get in the way of some misguided but enjoyable righteous indignation

not indignation ,  curiosity actually , I don't use vapes I really don't care

9 hours ago, Polaky said:

Who smokes in 2024?, ok back in the 50's everyone,  but now they know the dangers of that garbage going into their lungs.

I take it you wear a mask whenever you go outside in Thailand?

"In related news, authorities in Thailand are set to take decisive action against the illegal use of e-cigarettes, emphasising the need to protect children from the health risks associated with vaping."

And what about the health risks associated with smoking tobacco? Ignored, but tell you what? Why not put the price up, so that The Tobacco Authority of Thailand  can make more money from sales, and the Government can make more money from taxes?  

Apparently vaping is supposed to be a way to help you break the habit of smoking tobacco. Hmmm? Wonder why it's banned? 😦

Edited by sambum

13 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

nice of him to advise about an easy way to circumnavigate the rules

and as an additional ploy    "  and pack them in carry-on luggage .”  that will certainly fool them pesky customs fools eh?

But before the ardent vapers get too excited he adds ,," authorities in Thailand are set to take decisive action against the illegal use of e-cigarettes"

so all in all a little confusing

Not a good idea to pack in luggage because the devices, can and do combust.  The design and quality is neither regulated, nor consistent.

11 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

Racism against Brits by Brits in the UK is rife these days.

Maybe you should write in.

Some people are highly sensitive and easily triggered these days, always looking to be “outraged”.

Snowflakes.

3 hours ago, Davedub said:
4 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

There are statistics to justify your "obviously having" claim?

Not that I'm aware of. However, I believe common sense and anecdotal evidence are sufficient for me to hold that opinion.

I knew that you would have nothing worth considering to back your bizarre claim and your having an opinion about it, based on nothing empirical, does not correlate to it "obviously having" the effect you claim.

• Confused 1