Thai man regrets career choice as peers earn higher salaries

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

The iron rice bowl. Don't forget the medical cover is for the whole family.

A very good point, but don't private companies provide that?

If not, how much would medical insurance be though?

I know it's crazy money for foreigners, especially if there are known issues, but for Thai?

9 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

I know it's crazy money for foreigners, especially if there are known issues, but for Thai?

While you are employed by them. Companies push people out around 45 which is also the age at which medical issues tend to start. If you vest, Thai civil service insurance is for life (I think).

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Many suggested that the young man should consider further education or training to enhance his qualifications, which could open doors to higher-paying positions within the public sector or even make him a more attractive candidate for private sector roles in the future,

Does that mean to get a government  position education is not a high priority?

Well well, 

Why is this even news? The world is full of people who have made bad career choices. Aren't there more important things to report on?

• Like 1

I was stuck in a government job in my home country, as an engineer and after 8 years a senior engineer. Private sector didn't even reply to my applications. My salary was half of what it should have been. My classmates from University was laughing at my salary. I got lucky with my investments, and am well off anyway and retired at 35.

Edited by EdrigoSalvadore

If he would stop whining over his "misfortune", grow up and apply in the private industry, then he would realize, that:
- a five- to sixfold salary is paid to qualified candidates who NEVER would take a government job
- a government job, specially in Thailand, is safe haven for most of the least qualified who need to blow their own trumpet. The government's offices are filled with absolutely useless, non-common-sense goons wasting their, the government's as well as the Thai citizens time and money. The Thai government is nothing but a huge temple of inefficiency! 

So, once your tears have dried, take the finger out from your backside and get moving then but, for crying out loud, stop whining like a little baby who has lost its favourite toy 

Not a mention that I could see as to whether he liked his job or not.  That was super important to me when I was working.  I really liked my job and my co-workers.  If not, I would have looked for something else.   With my government job, and likely this person's, the pay was less but the benefits were better--including a good pension plan with COLAs.  

I have Thai inlaws who work in the private sector.  At 60, they are required to retire, with a one-time lump sum payment that has to last them the rest of their lives.  I'd rather earn somewhat less but have a guaranteed pension when I retire--I'd hate being tasked to make a one-time payment last me the rest of my life.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The young man shared his sorrow over the disparity, questioning why their lives diverged so significantly despite having the same educational background. While his friends enjoy financial stability with houses and cars, he struggles to make ends meet.

Guaranteed incremental pay rises and a pension.  His friends might be making more now, but wait a few years.  He should also get preferential loans.

Also, it's very unlikely that the has the same workload as someone in the private sector.

Try to stay positive.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Gknrd said:

Government jobs in the US are for people that cannot make it in  private industry. I worked for city government in a large city for a few years. The worst job I ever had. Didn't have to know anything except how to brown nose.  Horrible job.

Not every city is like your experience. Not every municipal job is like your experience. Were you city firefighter or police officer?  My experience was different.  The job was difficult to get.  It took amost a year and then a one year probation.  The attrition rate for the my old job was over 50%.  This means half did not pass probation. Yes a degree of kissing up is present in any job public or private.  I could have made the jump to private. I had a degree in statistical analysis so I could have "crunched numbers" and made good money.  Yes I was a career police officer and had more good days then bad days.  "The perfect job does not exist".  That is unless you start your own company. I know names like Bezos or Musk come to mind but their stories are few.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, nakhonandy said:

If you have a job you can pay into the Thai Social Security scheme. It's cheap and chips and offers superb coverage. If you lose your job, you can still pay into it.