Motorbike Rider Dies After Crash in Rassada, Phuket

webfact

image.jpeg

Rassada – A motorbike rider was pronounced dead at the scene after he crashed his motorbike into a central reservation and a power pole in Rassada on Saturday (August 3rd).

The Phuket City Police told the Phuket Express that they were notified of the accident at 1:50 A.M. on the Bypass Road (Chalerm Phrakiet Rama 9 Road) northbound in Sam Kong, Rassada.

Emergency responders and the Phuket Express arrived at the scene to find the damaged motorbike on the road. Nearby, they found the damaged central reservation and the damaged power pole. The rider, Mr. Siwakorn Weerapong, 48, from Krabi, was found deceased. A broken helmet was also found at the scene.

By Goongnang Suksawat

Full story: THE PHUKET EXPRESS 2024-08-05

-  Cigna offers a variety of health insurance plans designed to meet the minimum requirement for medical treatment coverage, with benefits reaching up to THB 3 million. These plans are tailored to provide comprehensive healthcare solutions for expatriates, ensuring peace of mind and access to quality medical services. To explore the full range of Cigna's expat health insurance options and find a plan that suits your needs, click here for more information.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

3 minutes ago, watchcat said:

It's news to his family or relatives....

His name is in the article

Family etc would already be notified. 

Family etc would already know, won't be news to them. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

His name is in the article

Family etc would already be notified. 

Family etc would already know, won't be news to them. 

Didnt read the article.

• Confused 1

Power poles and trees tend to be very unforgiving and they must be avoided at all costs. 

Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment.

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding.

Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone.

Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times.

Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins.

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

I have been riding bikes for over 50 years. Without any serious accidents. A few minor ones over the years. Riding a bike here is very dangerous. If not the highest, one of the highest fatality rates in the world. And an accident here can be very costly, to your person. Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have three friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last several years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. The third one is a close friend, who was hit by a sidecar, and nearly lost his leg. 11 operations later, he can walk, but with a limp, and the leg has caused him constant problems, many years later. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

The article says there was a broken helmet nearby. What kind of helmet? Was the chin strap fastened. Too many times, more often than not it seems, I see motorbike riders wearing helmets that look like they are from a young boys first tool set. Or having a cheap crappy open face helmet with the chin strap dangling down. 

Wear helmets everyone. Good helmets that fit properly. They save lives. 

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Power poles and trees tend to be very unforgiving and they must be avoided at all costs. 

Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

If driving, especially on a motorbike, treat the activity as an act of war, in a sense that you may be mowed down or killed at any moment.

Getting on a scooter, or a motorcycle anywhere in Thailand, much less Phuket, Phangan, Dark Tao, or Samui without a very good helmet, is like playing Russian Roulette with three or four bullets in the chamber. It is absolutely asking for problems. The degree of recklessness here is astounding.

Maintain eyes in the back of your head. Watch everyone.

Expect craziness, insanity, lack of reason, and a complete lack of courtesy and respect on the roads, at all times.

Expect cars and trucks to be coming at you in the wrong lane. Expect people to overtake you with the slimmest of margins.

If riding a motorbike, only do so if you have many years of experience. Especially on the southern islands, where huge numbers of foreigners leave Thailand in a wooden box. Wear the best helmet you can afford. And drive like a grandmother. This applies to ex-pats too. Bring along an international drivers license. This helps you to avoid being fleeced by the local police franchisee.

I have been riding bikes for over 50 years. Without any serious accidents. A few minor ones over the years. Riding a bike here is very dangerous. If not the highest, one of the highest fatality rates in the world. And an accident here can be very costly, to your person. Just ask yourself- do I have enough problems already, without a broken skull, or smashed head, or face injury, or lost eye? I have three friends who have been in motorbike accidents on Samui within the last several years. One still cannot walk, or talk or function on her own, from a motorbike accident, where she hit her head on the pavement going only 20 kph. The other one has lost alot of his mental capacity after hitting his head. He insisted for years he would never wear a helmet. Now, he seems 15 years older. The third one is a close friend, who was hit by a sidecar, and nearly lost his leg. 11 operations later, he can walk, but with a limp, and the leg has caused him constant problems, many years later. 

My personal experience of being on the road is mixed. I do not drive, but use Grab cars. Mostly its male drivers, but occasionally female. Contrary to most, I find female divers are more careful and attentive, although many of the older male drives can be also. I always sit in the rear seat on the near side. I feel safer this way, as there appears to be very little chance with either male or female drivers, hitting anything on their left. None of them have any idea of the width of the vehicle they drive and always, but always leave a gap of at least half the width of their vehicle on the near side. I always wonder why. I imagine it has something to do with their peripheral vision?

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Surasak said:

None of them have any idea of the width of the vehicle they drive and always, but always leave a gap of at least half the width of their vehicle on the near side. I always wonder why. I imagine it has something to do with their peripheral vision?

Leaving room for bikes?

• Like 1

Standard operating procedure

they found the damaged central reservation (check)

and the damaged power pole. (check)

A broken helmet was also found at the scene. ( a helmet ?  now there's an oddball )

On 8/5/2024 at 3:19 PM, NE1 said:

a lot of them put the helmets in the front basket and only wear them when they see the police checks.

I used to see that a lot, but not anymore. Too many check points for that here on Phuket I think.