Thailand unveils new visa rules, sparks mixed reactions

ED Plus caused huge influx of students in <not to mentioned> University. six-feet tall europeans, chinese, whatever >>> none speaks thai, arrogant will attend something Humanitarian courses for years. 

Why can't they just make it "case-by-case" instead of "carpet rule"?

So sorry for Thai education system!

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Sad 2

12 hours ago, Kerryd said:

All they have to do is show a "slip" from their employer and show that they have basically just over $14,000 US in "assets" - somewhere in the world and they are good for a year.

They didn't clarify though. You get the 180 days, and then can extend it for another 180 days and then what, do a border run and get another 180 days ?

I know people who have already applied for the DTV. It's not so easy. They submitted all documents and they were requested to provide much more. Official tax documents and such. 

And yes, it's a 5-year visa, and you can come and go as you like for 5 years. Every time you enter, you get stamped for another 180 days. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

The retired falangs who put the 800,000 into a bank account, must be not too happy. 

The other category, "short cut one year visa with an agent" will have a smile on their 💋 😊

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, ryandb said:

Go to a local co working spot, I think you might be confused on the income of the vast majority of actual digital nomads

I agree there. The notion that every remote worker is some perpetually broke clickbait YouTuber is a complete stereotype. Many people I know are working remotely in Thailand on six-figure incomes. They use Thailand's territorial taxation and the very wide, more than vague enforcement, or lack thereof, to their advantage.

40 minutes ago, ChasingTheSun said:

Are all the extending “digital nomads” and visa-runners gonna pay income tax in thailand on their foreign earnings if they stay a day over 6 months in Thailand?

Which brings us to this. Probably not. There's no choke point such as an annual extension for enforcement. If you're on an annual visa, you could chuck in a requirement to show a tax return. The DTV has no such mechanism and near impossible to enforce in any way. You arrive in Thailand, you get stamped for 180 days. The guy at the immigration kiosk in the airport isn't the RD.

But perhaps that's the point. Thailand doesn't really care beyond lip service. Come and spend the money you're bringing in from overseas. Multiply by millions of visitors.

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Entrants must show access to at least 20,000 baht

what is this?

how many times here have i read of people being sent off at immi for not having the funds on them? so now it is SHOW ACCESS to the funds but not cash in hand? So, I can just pull out my smart phone, access my credit card statement and show how much credit is left on the card?

Edited by Pouatchee
  • Agree 2

So, this is the Final, Final...right...I mean, no more "Flipping the Script"? 

Because, I wake up and there is always news on the Visa program....

So, this is the end,,,,

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Karma80 said:

I agree there. The notion that every remote worker is some perpetually broke clickbait YouTuber is a complete stereotype. Many people I know are working remotely in Thailand on six-figure incomes. They use Thailand's territorial taxation and the very wide, more than vague enforcement, or lack thereof, to their advantage.

<snip>

But perhaps that's the point. Thailand doesn't really care beyond lip service. Come and spend the money you're bringing in from overseas. Multiply by millions of visitors.

Not quite on 6 figures, but yeah, that's been me for the last 15 years or so.