Using an overseas Debit Card to minimise paying tax for those of us staying over 180 days

48 minutes ago, norbra said:

But keeping up with the many posts I was able to determine that as a single,aged pensioner I can claim 500,000 thb as allowable deductions so with out trying to find further loopholes my liabilty is now 3,000 thb pa.

Care to share how.

I see as I am over 65, I get 190,000 baht for self, wife 60,000 baht, and shopping tax allowance 50,000 baht, so there is up to 300,000 baht, I can get off with, that said, if I bring a mil in, I am going to pay over 100k baht in taxes, unless I can deduct more.

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Care to share how.

I see as I am over 65, I get 190,000 baht for self, wife 60,000 baht, and shopping tax allowance 50,000 baht, so there is up to 300,000 baht, I can get off with, that said, if I bring a mil in, I am going to pay over 100k baht in taxes, unless I can deduct more.

send less than $20USD at a time and it wont flag in the system. you do that a few times to get your mill in under the radar. get a Thai bank acc & card for everyday use and no longer worry about it.

• Confused 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, TheAppletons said:

Again, not true.  It isn't a loophole, you simply don't understand the Thai Revenue Dept position on this.

Good luck explaining how "importing" money from a debit card is different than "importing" money through a bank transfer from the same bank via WISE.  

Will you get "caught" by trying to avoid taxation by using a debit card?  Very unlikely.  But let's not misrepresent it as a loophole,  It isn't.

You could be right, I suppose it's all down to interpretation, hence the reason I have created this topic.

I might hear things I don't like to hear, i.e. what you are suggesting, however It sounds correct, others will also put their 2 bobs worth in, and we might find an alternative solution.

So far, I see I can claim around 300,000 baht as deductions before I start paying tax, that said, might have to look at transferring around 300,000 baht to wife's account and then see what else I can come up with, because the 1st 300,000 baht for me is tax free using deductions.

Perhaps the card can be used for say up to 400,000 baht for grocery shopping, petrol for the car etc over a year, providing I don't have to pay 5% that some retailers charge on debit cards, more research required.

Edited by 4MyEgo

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Thailand recently joined CRS and will have access to just about any financial account including Wise.  Good luck to those who believe this or that account cannot be traced or exposed.

But wise transfers do not show up as coming from abroad they look like internal transfers, at least that's what they told me

Such a can of spaghetti this and it WILL be annuled on 2 counts  -enforcement costs and expat flight.

It is after all the Land of NEW POLICY U-TURNS.

Thailand gets all those long-term juice satangs by the foreigner residing here vs elsewhere.

That should be enough of a direct fiscal injection to the place.

Also crypto tax haven would be cool.

Malaysia is maybe like this as it is.

You should all write to the PM on the cash flight aspect....

Edited by freedomnow
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Care to share how.

Self care 60k

Aged allowance 190k

Pensioner 100k

Tax free threshold 150k

Edited by norbra
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

then 60,000 as a self personal allowance, plus 60,000 to wife as a personal allowance.

where does this Bt.60,000 number come from ?

20 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Right now, I believe that the govt does have people reading the comments  of folks on this forum and besides that Thai govt offices have probably already heard a lot of the same questions and responses of the tax agents locally too.  Therefore, this being TIT I can imagine that sometime in the near future anyone staying in Thailand will need to obtain a Thai Tax ID number.  Then when departing Thailand one will need a slip of paper stamped by the local RD that all necessary taxes have been paid prior to the IO stamping one out of the country or extending the stay of a possible Tax-resident.  TIT so that means anything could happen or nothing could happening - we as expats will be the last to know for sure.

All true, if they are going to be serious.

• Sad 1