The Tim Walz thread.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

The point is not your Grandma, it is your constant attacks on the Democratic ticket while claiming to be neutral.

What's your take on the Republican ticket being headed by a Vietnam era draft dodger?

I have never voted for him. I have never expressed any support for him. Mr bone spurs or whateve the reason was like many from well to do families who found ways to avoid the draft and service in Vietnam.  HW Bush was pilot for the Texas Air National Guard and flew F104's but never saw service in combat.  Using a medical condition and in many cases joining the Army or Air National Guard were creatve ways to avoid serviing in Vietnam.  

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

I have never voted for him. I have never expressed any support for him. Mr bone spurs or whateve the reason was like many from well to do families who found ways to avoid the draft and service in Vietnam.  HW Bush was pilot for the Texas Air National Guard and flew F104's but never saw service in combat.  Using a medical condition and in many cases joining the Army or Air National Guard were creatve ways to avoid serviing in Vietnam.  

Not using a medical condition.

FAKING a medical condition.

YUGE difference.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

My Google doesn't work, but I believe that Operation Enduring Freedom was the US military response to 911. As part of that response, Walz was deployed overseas (to Italy), which makes him a veteran of Operation Enduring Freedom.

No.  One had to actually be "in country" to qualify as a veteran of OEF. I am an OEF veteran. Serving in Italy is a joy.  If he was at Vicenza then the "barracks" are more like apartments.  Not exactly a hardship.  Many guardsman and resevisits were activated and deployed to many stateside  and in some cases overseas bases to fill some of the roles that were filled by active duty personnel who had been sent to A-stan or Iraq.  

Edited by sqwakvfr
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

No.  One had to actually be "in country" to qualify as a veteran of OEF. I am an OEF veteran. Serving in Italy is a joy.  If he was at Vicenza then the "barracks" are more like apartments.  Not exactly a hardship.  

Walz could have hit the beach near Naples.

No.  One had to actually be "in country" to qualify as a veteran of OEF. I am an OEF veteran. Serving in Italy is a joy.  If he was at Vicenza then the "barracks" are more like apartments.  Not exactly a hardship.  

We (me and the wife) could use the American facilities in Germany as we both had NATO visas.....OMG you do get looked after.

6 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Not using a medical condition.

FAKING a medical condition.

YUGE difference.

Both cases are similar.  How many during the Vietnam era found a local national guard unit to perform their service and not get drafted? The end game was to not get drafted and sent to Vietnam.  Performing weekend drills at the local armory or airfield was a hardship? 

Edited by sqwakvfr

2 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Oh, his digs had a microwave then.......🙄.................:coffee1:

Both cases are similar.  How many during the Vietnam era found a local national guard unit to perform their service and not get drafted? The end game was to not get drafted and sent to Vietnam.  Performing weekend drills at the local armory or airfield was a hardship? 

Bizarre reply as it had NOTHING to do with my post. 

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh, his digs had a microwave then.......🙄.................:coffee1:

The ones I saw had a TV but the common area had a microwave. It would have been a nice place to serve because when one was off duty it was  Italy after all.  La Dolce Vita. 

Edited by sqwakvfr

21 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You are, and not for the first time. He could run and his wife or whoever could campaign for him. He could not campaign in uniform. If elected, he'd evidently have to resign from the military to serve in office. That said, "Ohio Congressman Brad Wenstrup, was deployed. He was a doctor before deploying, and that's what he did during his deployment. He pretty much had staffers run things for him."

A precedent for you:

https://www.senate.gov/artandhistory/history/minute/Senator_Killed_In_Battle.htm#:~:text=He was also the only,close friend of Abraham Lincoln

We're not talking about remaining in the military after being elected. The issue is running for office while in the National Guard.

• Haha 1

Just now, Danderman123 said:

We're not talking about remaining in the military after being elected. The issue is running for office while in the National Guard.

Nothing to have stopped him if he had wished. Can't campaign in uniform, however. His National Guard wasn't a full-time job, plenty of time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BigStar said:

Nothing to have stopped him if he had wished. Can't campaign in uniform, however. His National Guard wasn't a full-time job, plenty of time.

He didn't want to.

Is that OK with you?

Apparently not.

Mind-Your-Own-Damn-Business-Harris-Walz-Shirt-1.jpg

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

He didn't want to.

Suddenly, after finding out about the coming deployment. Good excuse.

image.jpeg.297931fbcbec31c6d1a8467837521702.jpeg

Laughable.

Now, watching downtown Minneapolis businesses looted and burned was certainly minding his own business, no? Their problem, not his.

Edited by BigStar
  • Thanks 1

For those that find Walz unacceptable (I think he's great) consider that if Harris serves two terms it is extremely unlikely that Walz would replace her and by then Walz would probably not run for president either.

Vance on the other (fascist billionaire controlled horror show that he is) is highly likely to either replace the rapidly deteriorating dotard Trump in his first term or to run for president after it.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, BigStar said:

With the possibility of deployment to Iraq out there, not a good idea to file for election. Better to begin the retirement papers and then file for election.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

With the possibility of deployment to Iraq out there, not a good idea to file for election. Better to begin the retirement papers and then file for election.

It was very carefully and conveniently planned, yes.😁

3 minutes ago, BigStar said:

It was very carefully and conveniently planned, yes.😁

Common sense.

Walz probably knew for some time that he wanted to run for Congress, and he also knew that deployment to Iraq was a possibility, although he didn't know when it might happen.

So he filed his retirement paperwork before he filed his election papers.

Nothing sinister or unpatriotic.

16 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Common sense.

It's only common sense to avoid putting oneself in danger needlessly, when one can just cut and run. True.

18 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The men he abandoned disagree, as you would have if you'd been serving under him. Sitting at a keyboard spewing out campaign talking points is quite another matter. 

But you've fallen into another of your bickering loops. I suspect you're going to need help finding the EXIT statement, based on past experience.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, BigStar said:

It's only common sense to avoid putting oneself in danger needlessly, when one can just cut and run. True.

The men he abandoned disagree, as you would have if you'd been serving under him. Sitting at a keyboard spewing out campaign talking points is quite another matter. 

But you've fallen into another of your bickering loops. I suspect you're going to need help finding the EXIT statement, based on past experience.

Dig, dig, dig...................So funny, you, the hang 'em high brigade twisting the facts...🤣

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Harris-Walz are surging in the polls, while Trump sinks.

A bit like susanlea, who was a bloke, Dolf, now think has had the operation, the sheep will be happy about that, though....🤭

• Love It 1

37 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Common sense.

Walz probably knew for some time that he wanted to run for Congress, and he also knew that deployment to Iraq was a possibility, although he didn't know when it might happen.

So he filed his retirement paperwork before he filed his election papers.

wink wink nudge nudge

• Haha 1

It not my role to censor opinions, but I have found it necessary to remove some reported bickering posts.

I have also noticed that people are posting comments to just to try to get reactions, and when a reply is posted use the report button in an attempt to score points against other members, that is also against forum roles.

So please discuss the topic, and drop the bickering.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1