What are the best ways to meet other expats?

I've been here for just over a year.  I extended my annual retirement visa in Roi Et today - possibly one of the most helpful and friendliest immigration offices in the country.  I live happily in the sticks with my partner and our adopted son.

I have been known to go fishing, exploring, kayaking, and recently bought a Royal Enfield 500 Classic because the superbikes I had in England are totally unsuitable for Thai roads and driving conditions.  The RE is delightful and, coincidentally, I was born in Enfield.

BTW, my partner was driving our pick-up back from Bangkok and mistakenly believed I wasn't allowed to use motorways or dual carriageways.  She headed north out of Bangkok into the countryside on little roads.  After I eventually persuaded her that I was allowed on motorways, we took the most direct route back.  We stopped once to refuel, cruised at 90-100kph but it still took 11.5 hours to get back, when the same speeds the previous day in the pick-up using the direct route to Bangkok took 6.5 hours.  The most remarkable thing was that I had no aches or pains after all that riding - there's very few bikes that can do that.

I'm just south of Roi Et but happy to travel.  If anyone wants to meet up for a chat (and bike ride?), PM me.

Edited by IsaanT

On 8/7/2024 at 9:54 AM, Conan The Barbarian said:

Are there any expat events or get-togethers? I'm really tired of only seeing Thai faces, especially since they can't speak English and I don't know Thai.

Name your province and someone will tell you what you need to know.

Name your amphoe/tambon and you'll be enjoying the company of lovely expats in no time.

Edited by Enoon
  • Haha 1

I tend to avoid westerners like the plague ....   just say hi, have a beer with one or two you know and that's it. 

too many friends means too much trouble ... I learnt that in Thailand years ago. 

Edited by steven100
  • Agree 1

On 8/7/2024 at 3:54 PM, Conan The Barbarian said:

Are there any expat events or get-togethers? I'm really tired of only seeing Thai faces, especially since they can't speak English and I don't know Thai.

Ever thought of trying to learn Thai? If you want to meet expats and speak English go to an English speaking country; problem solved.

Edited by Photoguy21
Additional text

"I've been here for just over a year.  I extended my annual retirement visa in Roi Et today - possibly one of the most helpful and friendliest immigration offices in the country.  I live happily in the sticks with my partner and our adopted son.
I have been known to go fishing, exploring, kayaking, and recently bought a Royal Enfield 500"

Good to know you like Roi Et!

I'll spend time there later this year. I got a new hot date who lives there. We'll find out if we are compatible.

Most likely I'll be walking in central island park daily. Don't know any other places yet.

I also like old style British bikes. They are so beautiful! The new Indian made replicas and original classics.

Enjoy your life there!

On 8/8/2024 at 8:55 AM, fredwiggy said:

You never know what kind of day, week or month  they've had, which is just like people driving fast on the road trying to pass you. They could have a wife, girlfriend or ex that made their life miserable, at least for the time being.They could have brought this on themselves, treating their partners like crap and expecting them to be sex slaves. They could have treated their partners great, but picked crazy, narcissistic, liars ,cheaters or overly greedy ones, and their life here hasn't been a bed of roses. If they don't want to talk, I let them go on their way. If they do, we see if we can relate about shared interests. Walk a mile in their shoes or you never know.

Ah; so we all need to be Shrinks if we expect a return smile in a Supermarket !

On 8/8/2024 at 11:01 AM, Lorry said:

That club was a place to socialize with Thais.

But thinking of it... OP is tired of "Thai faces",  maybe that club or something similar would be a solution. 

Why do people make things like this up?  It’s totally incorrect.  Eden was a full service place that offered a certain specialty.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/8/2024 at 11:32 AM, Lorry said:

Isn't this defamation of poor old Marc?

Maybe his estate will sue you.

It's all true, they can try. Why poor old Marc? he was a murderer.

58 minutes ago, proton said:

It's all true, they can try. Why poor old Marc? he was a murderer.

Thai defamation laws are violated even if what you state is true.

Marc was such a lovely person,  so many farang held him in high esteem. 

He tirelessly worked to bring Thais and farang closer together. 

He never crossed any red line.

Unfortunately, I didn't have the good luck you had , and didn't know him personally.

Edited by Lorry

On 8/8/2024 at 8:21 AM, ravip said:

Many expats you meet in Thailand you would not associate with back in your home country.

One short sentence speaks volumes

image.png.62c41ede22bc84296d15de0201a94be5.png

:cheesy: Absolutely! Who would want to associate with the perpetually sad and confused?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, steven100 said:

I like to associate with my bottle of Change and that's about it .....   

Quality reply mate. 👍

Me too, it's especially special moment if I have my beautiful gf with me, couldn't think of a better place to be.🍺

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/8/2024 at 1:11 PM, fredwiggy said:

Agree with most besides the part about tattoos. Everyone in my family has them besides me, and they're all good kids (adults now). My dad had one also. And there are quite a few people who work out that are psychos. Many are narcissists. But true if they're doing something healthy they're more likely to be healthier in thinking, as the better you take care of yourself, the more likely you'll take better care of others. Also not to generalize. Your second paragraph rings true for some that post here. I call them brown nosers, as they actually think if they defend locals that those locals care about them. Yes, you should treat everyone well, but there's a difference as you can tell.

Good point about the tats. What I meant is those with tats all over themselves - especially full arms and full legs. I have a few younger relatives with tats (fashionable these days) - but they are discrete and not 'loud and angry' so to speak. 

image.png.165540e1fc0207555884b7ad2ebdf669.png   image.png.fb4e33166d7a249d348355bd4dd5f1a4.png    image.png.7df517ebe1c712a39f2be8a3c19b784e.png

On 8/7/2024 at 9:54 AM, Conan The Barbarian said:

Troll topic. Go home, dude, then you can meet loads of pre-pats.

• Sad 1

On 8/8/2024 at 11:16 AM, Sigmund said:

A golden rule in Thailand is to avoid western strangers or at least choose carefully with whom you mingle.

Not all obviously, but many, many farangs in Thailand are here plainly to flee their personnal failures back home and often bear mental issues left unattended. No harsh feelings please,  but those with a minimun of common sense and knowledge on how it works here, know what we are talking about. Again,no generalization of course, but one needs to be wary. Each time I got cheated in Thailand with poor quality work or inflated prices, it was usually on dealing with the farangs in the company.

Indeed. Have some great friends, but, looking back, many issues have typically been down to donkey westerners. Be especially wary in opening up and giving up one's time to stranger farangs. Some right ole misfits are out there.

• Agree 1

On 8/8/2024 at 2:55 AM, fredwiggy said:

You never know what kind of day, week or month  they've had, which is just like people driving fast on the road trying to pass you. They could have a wife, girlfriend or ex that made their life miserable, at least for the time being.They could have brought this on themselves, treating their partners like crap and expecting them to be sex slaves. They could have treated their partners great, but picked crazy, narcissistic, liars ,cheaters or overly greedy ones, and their life here hasn't been a bed of roses. If they don't want to talk, I let them go on their way. If they do, we see if we can relate about shared interests. Walk a mile in their shoes or you never know.

I don't care. We all have issues and I like to help people, but would not ever contemplate putting my S on anyone else, least of all someone I'd just met. I have no time to worry about someone else's potential garbage in front of family and friends. Be a nice person and treat people with respect, first and foremost. If you are an ass on the outset, go and do one.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2024 at 11:22 AM, steven100 said:

mine are all dead 

Yea most of mine are too, just had another carp it 2 days ago, although I wouldn't call him a friend but his Thai wife is, I've known her for 18 yrs. 

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Good point about the tats. What I meant is those with tats all over themselves - especially full arms and full legs. I have a few younger relatives with tats (fashionable these days) - but they are discrete and not 'loud and angry' so to speak. 

image.png.165540e1fc0207555884b7ad2ebdf669.png   image.png.fb4e33166d7a249d348355bd4dd5f1a4.png    image.png.7df517ebe1c712a39f2be8a3c19b784e.png

Some go overboard. My daughter has one arm almost covered, along with a couple more. She was involved in a not so good crowd and that's what they all did. telling them what you think goes in one and out the other.

• Thumbs Up 1