UK Authorities Seize £5m Worth of Cannabis At Birmingham Airport, Affecting Thai Tourists

3 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Why would anybody bother ?  The Uk is awash with weed, the majority of which is grown there.  Anybody bringing in 8 suitcases filled with  150 kg  of weed through an airport must be an idiot.  There would be no need for sniffer dogs, the smell must have been overpowering.

Simply legalising it in the UK would end this "problem" immediately , saving a fortune, and freeing up customs & police who would then be able to concentrate their attentions on real issues,

Says 28 suitcases, you need to go Spec savers?

• Confused 4
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 2008bangkok said:

Says 28 suitcases, you need to go Spec savers?

An incident of one person carrying 8 suitcases of cannabis was part of the story......there for all to read.

Why should it should not be commented upon given that it is all in an item that was pretty much cut and pasted from "Birmingham live"  and/or "BBC News".

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/5m-birmingham-airport-cannabis-bust-29818291

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c935vp0q83po

Edited by Enoon

46 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

That's an average of about 180,000 GBP worth of weed per suitcase.

According to Mr Google the average street value of cannabis in the UK is approximately 10 GBP per gram. In Thailand it's about the same.

So I don't understand why anyone would invest 180,000 GBP for very little profit, and take the risk of jail time (and losing all their investment).

Perhaps someone with more knowledge will enlighten me.

Smuggling cigarettes would be much more profitable (Thailand 40 THB per pack, UK 14 GBP - 600 THB). I stopped smoking 20 years ago so I'm just getting those numbers from Mr Google.

i would imagine this is misreported somewhere along the line.

they always list it as street value, but that would mean selling every gram. at top price, which rarely happens. i expect it will turn out to be way less.

also 11 people and 510kgs is 46kgs each, a normal allowance is 20-30kgs

Edited by frank83628
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, frank83628 said:

i would imagine this is misreported somewhere along the line.

they always list it as street value, but that would mean selling every gram. at top price, which rarely happens. i expect it will turn out to be way less.

also 11 people and 510kgs is 46kgs each, a normal allowance is 20-30kgs

The 510 kilos was spread over 28 suitcases  thats just over 18 kilos per suitcase , easily acheivable ,  Like wise the spanish guy had 158 kilos in 8 suitcases  which is just under 20 kilos per case .  

I never pay any attention to the reported values, its always inflated for dramatic effect,  either that or it just goes to show that police and customs officials are generally paying a lot more for their weed than the rest of us 

Anyway I doubt those concerned were too bothered about any excess baggage charges, 

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Haha 1

Just now, Yagoda said:

Dude I just tell you what your lot tells me, Im a Yank and my buds all tell me that Scousers, like Scotsmen, are barely human, no idea, Ive only been to London

Well you should be more selective in your choice of freinds,  and If I were you I would not believe a word they say.  If you managed survived the $hit h0le  called London, Liverpool would be like a walk in the park . As long as you don't repeat what you said in your previous comment.

But as for Scotland ,  that is a different matter completely 

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

A major seizure of cannabis, worth approximately £5 million (about 225 million baht), shocked travelers at Birmingham Airport, UK. The Uk police found the drugs distributed across 28 suitcases on a single day, as tourists from Thailand crowded the terminal. The operation led to the arrest of 11 British travelers returning from Thailand via Paris Charles de Gaulle airport. They have been released on bail until November 9

Why?

8 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

According to Mr Google the average street value of cannabis in the UK is approximately 10 GBP per gram. In Thailand it's about the same.

Presumably they got quite some discount for 510kg of the stuff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yagoda said:

Your lot should legalize it, cut down on the drunken fighting.

Well maybe except for Scousers, but it will help overall.

Behave yourself and your unjustified comments.

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

A chain and heavy ball is a good solution

As long as they can get to Wetherspoon's for the 9.30am morning beers

• Thumbs Up 1