paying taxes in thailand as an american

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

As an American, all the pension or social security money I am sending over is shielded from Thai taxes by the dual taxation agreement.   I plan to do nothing unless I am absolutely required to do something.   Right now, there is nothing required that I know of, and that includes filing a Thai tax return.

True if your pension is DTA protected but, the Thai govt may know how much you remitted so they might ask you to prove how much is protected by the DTA or where the pension and ss came from.  And again maybe not too as they probably will be buried by those that do have assessable income remitted this year.  Good luck

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

The minute ONE person goes to court to say I am sending savings from one bank to another the whole thing will fall apart.  Housing industry will certainly crash immediately if when you send 10 million to buy a house 15% is stolen from you.

I would fully support Thailand enforcing the issue on people being paid by a company they work for that is registered abroad and has NOT has any form of tax put on the income. Otherwise its a non starter in my opinion.

Imagine telling thais that when they transfer money from one thai bank to another they must pay a 15% tax. 

As long as we keep in mind that withholding is not taxing. If I get the money back after filing, I am fine with that. I have zero sympathy for those that double shuffle residences to pay no taxes anywhere.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, JustinCredible said:

I was told by the Revenue Department, just last week, that if you pay tax on the money you bring into Thailand, by Law, you will still be required to submit a Tax Return, together with a Certificate from your home country confirming that you have already paid the Tax.  

When I asked how they would know about money coming into Thailand they said that you would also need to submit a 12 month Thai Bank statement. 

They went on to say that there WILL be additional checks om ALL foreigners. They are currently in discussions with both Thai Banks and Immigration.

The above is NOT scaremongering, it is a genuine report of my conversations with the Revenue Office.

Totally diofferent what they have told me and several times!!! And not American who seem to get all the breaks!!!

Edited by jwest10
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4

1 hour ago, JustinCredible said:

I was told by the Revenue Department, just last week, that if you pay tax on the money you bring into Thailand, by Law, you will still be required to submit a Tax Return, together with a Certificate from your home country confirming that you have already paid the Tax.  

When I asked how they would know about money coming into Thailand they said that you would also need to submit a 12 month Thai Bank statement. 

They went on to say that there WILL be additional checks om ALL foreigners. They are currently in discussions with both Thai Banks and Immigration.

The above is NOT scaremongering, it is a genuine report of my conversations with the Revenue Office.

'...currently in discussions...'  So, nothing nailed down yet, if ever.  Thanks for the info, though.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, JustinCredible said:

A certificate issued by the US government that you already paid the tax? Think the answer from the US is the same as not validating a U.S. citizens income for Thai Immigration purposes (I think one of the four countries no longer issuing those embassy certificates.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

The minute ONE person goes to court to say I am sending savings from one bank to another the whole thing will fall apart.  Housing industry will certainly crash immediately if when you send 10 million to buy a house 15% is stolen from you.

I would fully support Thailand enforcing the issue on people being paid by a company they work for that is registered abroad and has NOT has any form of tax put on the income. Otherwise its a non starter in my opinion.

Imagine telling thais that when they transfer money from one thai bank to another they must pay a 15% tax. 

Indeed......whilst the legislation has been around for decades albeit not enforced tells its own story

Full of loopholes

• Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, placnx said:

Last year I filed US taxes in mid-February so that i could use the DTA to pay no taxes on the return I filed in Thaiiand on 31 March. Since then there has been no inquiry from the Thai RD requesting a transcript issued by the IRS (US tax department).

Can you explain how the DTA was claimed on your return. Are you also working in Thailand where you are required to pay taxes. My money transfers this year were entirely from direct social security deposits to my Bangkok Bank account. Really hope they come up with a statement that they will not be taxing US Social Security deposits.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/31/2024 at 1:35 PM, redwood1 said:

This has to be the most bazaar thing I have seen in my entire life here.....

Like who is a Foreigner?

Are the Chinese, Japs, Korean, Russian, Indian expats Foreigners?

I guess not, because they dont seem to give a rats azz about any of this tax nonsense......Folks no one but western expats are going to lift a finger to produce document forms tax records bla bla .....

But for some strange reason There seem to be loads of retired western farang practically beating down the door at the tax office and demanding that they be given a tax number and insisting come hell or high water they be allowed to pay taxes...

The whole thing is beyond strange.......lol

The fact that almost no Thais pay taxes. does not bother these desperate to pay taxes expats at all.......

"This has to be the most bazaar thing I have seen in my entire life here.....

Like who is a Foreigner?

Are the Chinese, Japanese , Korean, Russian, Indian expats Foreigners?"

Wow, seriously!

"I guess not, because they dont seem to give a rats azz about any of this tax nonsense......"

And you know this how?

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, placnx said:

Last year I filed US taxes in mid-February so that i could use the DTA to pay no taxes on the return I filed in Thaiiand on 31 March. Since then there has been no inquiry from the Thai RD requesting a transcript issued by the IRS (US tax department).

Understand you're saying that nobody at RD requested a US tax clearance certificate from you when you filed a Thai tax return in February of this year (2024); however, given the alleged new rules about remitted income don't apply to income remitted prior to 1/1/24, I'm a bit puzzled as to why you bothered to file a Thai tax return (unless you have other income in Thailand or, perhaps, you were seeking return of withheld tax relating to bank funds).

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2024 at 5:00 PM, BananaBandit said:

So, in the event that the Thai authorities start enforcing this stuff, how will they know the amount that we must pay?

Will they just tell us to state a number, or will they ask to see the U.S. tax returns?

For a start, read the Double Taxation Agreement between US and Thailand. Income already taxed in US will not be double taxed; i.e., you'll often pay the highest tax rate, and if that is the one in US you will not also be taxed in Thailand.

Income not taxed abroad and transferred to Thailand from 1st January 2024 will be income taxed in Thailand; savings proven to be from before 1st January are free from income tax.

We are still lacking detail about how this shall be enforced in practise; so, keep good record of your transfer transactions.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

@BananaBandit, instead of asking a bunch of strangers on a forum, may be some Yanks, or not, you might want to actually read the TAX LAW & TH / USA DTA (Dual Tax Agreement).

Both have been posted and or links to, more than a couple times on this forum.

Nobody here knows your status, income you'll be remitting, or tax bracket any of that taxable income may fall under, IF ANY.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

On 8/28/2024 at 10:00 PM, BananaBandit said:

So, in the event that the Thai authorities start enforcing this stuff, how will they know the amount that we must pay?

Will they just tell us to state a number, or will they ask to see the U.S. tax returns?

The way I have heard it, ifone does have assessable income remitted here or earned here and follows the tax laws here, then one must get a Thai tax ID.  I guess the tax forms once they are updated later this year, will be available on line and then one can see if they understand the forms or will take it to an agency dealing with the farang tax payers.  YOU supposedly will be the one that determines how much you will be required to pay - or the agency will advise you plus their fees.  Good luck!  Also you should be aware of any details in a Double Taxation Agreement if your country has one will Thailand.  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

It seems clear that you haven't really been paying much attention to the posters in these tax threads that have significant experience in tax matters.

I can say that your post seems to rely only upon opinion from outraged but misinformed thread participants.

I'm willing to wager that unless the TRD is taken over by PCP addicts, the things you've complained about won't be happening.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Confused 2
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1