Police "red box" program

Rotweiler

4 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My friend was asked to contribute, they came round to his house from the police box a few hundred meters away.

He came to an agreement that he would pay every month if they promised not to stop him when he was driving home from the bars, in his case that would be every night.

I thought the Red Box was to report corruption?

40 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Yes ..... the box contains a ticket to record the visits by the local policemen.  Costs about 1,500 THB per month.

There's several on nearby shops.

I've seen them ride up on their motorbikes, jump off, do the ticket then ride away.  Never seen them actually check anything at the property.

Exactly that, but it does show you are under their protection - "pay poleet"

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Exactly that, but it does show you are under their protection - "pay poleet"

Not really protection.

Just that they 'patrol' up to the box, sign the paper and go - as in Kinnock's post.

Edited by Tropicalevo

9 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Not really protection.

Just that they 'patrol' up to the box, sign the paper and go - as in Kinnock's post.

It can be a bit more than just that. You are paying them and thus "onside" with them. Other of their services may cost extra.

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

I thought the red box was the thing they put outside your house and the police come round and check your property every day.

It is.  My question was not "what do you THINK it is", but rather if you KNOW something about the program.

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Kinnock said:

Yes ..... the box contains a ticket to record the visits by the local policemen.  Costs about 1,500 THB per month.

There's several on nearby shops.

I've seen them ride up on their motorbikes, jump off, do the ticket then ride away.  Never seen them actually check anything at the property.

We have the Red Box and pay 500 Baht per month (unofficial, but the same service). It's a bargain for this price, isn't it?

• Haha 1

Paid 1000bht/month for about three years. The frequency of the visits was once per day, but this slowly declined to once or twice per month. Complained but no improvement, so stopped paying. Saves 1000/ month and the service is still the same, and no one complained about the loss. My argument is, why pay them twice for a service they get paid for, by the government?

• Agree 1

We had the service at 500 Baht per month for about a year when there were druggies living near us. For us, the main thing was that, in the event of a problem, we could call on the police and they would (hopefully) help,

Once, after the druggies had intruded on our property to fish in a dam, my wife complained to the police. They sent around 10 police officers that day to talk to the druggies and prowl around. Admittedly, it cost us an extra 1000 Baht. After that we didn't have any problems and the druggies were 'moved on' a few months later.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Once, after the druggies had intruded on our property to fish in a dam, my wife complained to the police. They sent around 10 police officers that day to talk to the druggies and prowl around. Admittedly, it cost us an extra 1000 Baht. After that we didn't have any problems and the druggies were 'moved on' a few months later.

I'd say a good service then but maybe it's time to consider moving too.

We have had one for years. The police come very promptly when you call the special number they give you. Plus you form a special sort of relationship with the cop who organises the red box. The cops come twice a day at different times.

The only downside if that our dogs go mental if they come late in  the evening. We are 15 km from the police station and the service is twice as much as when we were in town and less than 1 km from our house. 

I think it is a good program. We had two attempted break ins when we had no box (one successful); but have had none since we had the red box fitted. 

I don't drink and drive so can't comment on the lack of enforcement. 

Property we bought out on a rural road has 10 properties.  We each pay 200 baht/month.  So 1,000 baht per month total.  The police have a little book inside which they sign when they drive out there.  About 3 times per week.

Just now, trainman34014 said:

Amazing how some people think bribing the Police to do their job is a 'Good Program' !!

True...not a good program.....but it is the only program.

Often sit in the bars in BKK (not often enough) and watch the RTP in civies collect their tea money.

On 8/29/2024 at 9:52 AM, Rotweiler said:

Does anyone have experience with Thailand's Royal Thai Police red box program? 

When you contribute the agreed fee in your area, police will come by and check that the property looks like are in good order, within an agreed schedule, often once per day. There should be a little book or slip in the box, which police signs with date, time and name/signature when checking, so you can see they have been there.

8 hours ago, ronster said:

Paid 1000 bht a month before in samui and they would come sign the book in it twice a day. It basically tells any criminal who is thinking of robbing the place etc don't or you will get your nuts busted by the cops. 

Plus if they come to your home to discuss anything that they may be called for like car accident etc to get details, they see the box and become very helpful and friendly 😄 👍

we have the red box,,   and  Captain"P" personal cell #   we had a little fender bender and he came and met us right away to assist

he also comes arounf at random times everyday to note the book

and night he has his red roof lights on and looks around with his flashlight

• Like 1

There seems to be a lot of (idiotic, intentional) "confusion” about the red box program.  We have had the service for several months now and it has led to a major improvement in the problem that made us go that route in the first place.

It is not a “bribe” for police to do their job.  It is a small contribution to request the Police to do something that is far above and beyond their normal duties.  I can only assume that the peeps here posting degrading comments are NOT actually in nor live in Thailand so have little or no knowledge of policing practices in Thailand.

We pay 1,000 B /month and the peace of mind it provides is worth many times that amount.  As the Officer (whose private number we received on day one) explained when – after 8 calls for assistance within 10 days – the red box hanging on your gate alone is a strong incentive for the unwanted guests to move elsewhere.  There daily visits (usually at dusk, with flashlight) also enforce that image.  Since the box was hung on our gate, the number of unwanted, undesired instances has dropped to zero.

My purpose in posting the original question was are there other people taking advantage of this service?  And it is that.  If not, and if the circumstances warrant it, consider it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Its like side income for small group of patrol. Depends on their scope, usually visit 3 days a week , random time.
The road to my house is private road 4meter wide stretching about 3 rai in 1 chanote. So often random ppl will come in fishing / throw garbage. With police patrolling my place hardly seen any stranger.

But mine cost 1.5k baht monthly. Took it for 1 year then canceled but they did not collect back the red box.