How to properly dispose of liquid waste like vegetable oil in a high-rise condominium?

1 minute ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Others just eat and drink and don't think about it too much.

I get that there are some foods that people don't want to give up. It does add to enjoyment of life. 

But to be completely reckless about what you put in your mouth is unnecessary.

If you can find a healthier cooking oil, why would you not want to use it? The only issue is it may cost a bit more. 

Again though, I'm not going to tell you you should listen to me.

If you're comfortable with vegetable oils and are afraid of butter, then stick with it.

Eggs cooked in butter will taste better anyway, in my opinion.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

they sell "deodorized" coconut oil to mask the flavor.

not easy to find though. would need to shop on iherb and may be expensive.

technically, coconut is a fruit, not a vegetable. but the science behind why it's not unhealthy like vegetable oils is complex. 

we can get into it if you're up for it. i need to keep my mind sharp, so i dont mind delving into the science.

Nah.......but Rice Bran Oil, is that any better or worse than eg canola or Soy Bean please?

33 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I get that there are some foods that people don't want to give up. It does add to enjoyment of life. 

But to be completely reckless about what you put in your mouth is unnecessary.

If you can find a healthier cooking oil, why would you not want to use it? The only issue is it may cost a bit more. 

Again though, I'm not going to tell you you should listen to me.

If you're comfortable with vegetable oils and are afraid of butter, then stick with it.

Eggs cooked in butter will taste better anyway, in my opinion.

90% of the time I use butter, I like butter.

But sometimes, i.e. with a steak, butter can't handle the temperature, so I use "oil".

Which oil? I don't really know. I have to admit when I am in the supermarket and there are about 20 different bottles I never know which one is "the best"... 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/30/2024 at 7:08 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I live here long enough, but normally my gf takes care of these things.

But now I think what the proper way is to do this. Pouring it down the drain is not a good idea, for many reasons.

What is a good way to do it? Put the old oil in a plastic bottle and then put the plastic bottle in the recycle bin?

Or soak paper kitchen towels with oil if it's not too much?

What do you do?

You can put it down the drain quite safely if you emulsify it in the sink first with detergent and hot water. You will probably need about quarter of a bottle of liquid detergent for each bottle of of oil.

On 8/30/2024 at 2:40 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know.

But in general, there are differences with waste in a house or condo, this is why I mentioned it.

In educated countries the local authorities pick it up. You contact them , tell them your address, they tell you to put it outside in the yellow containers provided on a certain day of the week.  I doubt anyway else would be environmentally friendly. I hate to think where in Thailand the big restaurants ,Mc dos etc put their dirty oil !  If they change it that is !!

2 hours ago, geisha said:

In educated countries the local authorities pick it up. You contact them , tell them your address, they tell you to put it outside in the yellow containers provided on a certain day of the week.  I doubt anyway else would be environmentally friendly. I hate to think where in Thailand the big restaurants ,Mc dos etc put their dirty oil !  If they change it that is !!

In restaurants in Thailand they have a professional disposal - at least in some restaurants. 

On 8/30/2024 at 8:09 AM, Crossy said:

Not really relevant to our OP but Madam mixes our used veggie-oil in with the chicken food. The chooks love it and it apparently improves egg quality.

This would enhance the already high cholesterol level in egg yolks... 

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

90% of the time I use butter, I like butter.

But sometimes, i.e. with a steak, butter can't handle the temperature, so I use "oil".

nah. butter does the trick for me with steaks.

and ever notice those french chefs? they use the pan drippings to make the sauce for the steak and nothing gets wasted.

or just pour the excess butter on the steak and wipe the pan with a paper towel. 

not sure what you're frying that requires vast amounts of oil to be discarded. normally, that's required for deep frying. 

13 hours ago, Lacessit said:

You can put it down the drain quite safely if you emulsify it in the sink first with detergent and hot water. You will probably need about quarter of a bottle of liquid detergent for each bottle of of oil.

The detergent is possibly more expensive than the oil.

50 minutes ago, StraightTalk said:

This would enhance the already high cholesterol level in egg yolks... 

The eggs are delicious, bright yellow yolks 😛 

• Thumbs Up 2

Knew a bloke back home that recycled used veggie oil from restaurants and produced his own car fuel.  The exhaust always had a delicious aroma of fish 'n chips.

In Thailand, the result would probably be fumes that smelled of generic chilli infused pad-gra-pao. Might lead to more than a few eye-watering motorcycle accidents. :coffee1:

31 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Quoting your headline, what has where you live got to do with how you dispose of your old cooking oil?

I.e. I don't have chicken to feed it to, see above.

Waste disposal in a house with garden and in a condominium are not the same.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I.e. I don't have chicken to feed it to, see above.

Waste disposal in a house with garden and in a condominium are not the same.

Oh, I have a garden, no chickens. How do you suggest I get rid of my old oil please?

Just now, itsari said:

Try asking the building manager if there is a grease arrestor connected to the drainage system.

High rise buildings must have them fitted .

I am sure that you are aware that must have is not the same as actually have in Thailand.

And there are lots of pipes between the kitchen drain and the big down pipes. I don't see a reason to clog them if there are better ways to handle this.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Oh, I have a garden, no chickens. How do you suggest I get rid of my old oil please?

Why don't you find out yourself?

I started this thread to find out the best way for me in my situation. I am obviously no expert in this, otherwise I would not have started this thread.

Feel free to start a new thread and make sure you mention your garden and no chicken.

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Why don't you find out yourself?

I started this thread to find out the best way for me in my situation. I am obviously no expert in this, otherwise I would not have started this thread.

Feel free to start a new thread and make sure you mention your garden and no chicken.

OK, will do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

The eggs are delicious, bright yellow yolks 😛 

Grass-fed obviously. This should balance the enhanced cholesterol level and increase the the levels of omega-3 fatty acids, which can help offset the cholesterol found in the yolk.😀

• Haha 1

On 8/30/2024 at 7:08 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I live here long enough, but normally my gf takes care of these things.

But now I think what the proper way is to do this. Pouring it down the drain is not a good idea, for many reasons.

What is a good way to do it? Put the old oil in a plastic bottle and then put the plastic bottle in the recycle bin?

Or soak paper kitchen towels with oil if it's not too much?

What do you do?

Just get a plastic or metal big box with lid. Save the used oil until full. During the time, ask around for people who know the ones who come buy and collect old oil. They make dog food out of it. For about 10-15 liter you get 200 baht and you just call, they collect.

On 8/30/2024 at 7:44 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Actually, it is not "so much".

Sometimes my gf fries food. Then she/we could dispose of that oil that one time or she puts it in a metal container and then we can dispose it after a while when it is more (in a bottle).

Buy an Air fryer, you'll be amazed.

20 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Buy an Air fryer, you'll be amazed.

Totally off topic.

Yep, saw one in Makro last week. 22 minutes to cook chips. Frying them takes 6!

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1