Aussies now need an ETA to enter Thailand

8 hours ago, kickstart said:

How loge before these crashes, like most Thai government websites.

Or, will it be like the almost nightmare of getting the Covid free certificate before entering Thailand 

Exactly, it was a complete shambles.  Let’s hope they have better technology this time. Wishful thinking , probably. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Bla Bla Bla Bureaucrats have nothing better to do than think up new bothersome rules......  All for our convenience of course.....lol.........

Hey what happend to the Thai Pass? ......It was a mandatory paper that all MUST  have when entering Thailand........But its been completely forgotten about.......Like I think this nonsense will be forgotten...

Don't forget the electronic tags from a few years ago

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

“The ETA will be an important tool for screening and tracking the movement of foreigners entering Thailand.”

ETA applications will be processed online via the official Thai e-Visa website.

So you enter some data on a website and this makes you trackable? How? I don't understand the mechanics of it...

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I see this is a positive if we don't have to go to a desk and see an actual person on arrival. Singapore and Malaysia are now so easy to go in and out of using the automated gates.

I have been using the auto gates to leave Suvarnabhumi recently though, which made things a lot easier. 

However, this does also mean that long-term tourists without proper visas may be able to come in and out on ETAs as much as they like, without human intervention. They could of course electronically limit the amount of ETAs per year…

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, klauskunkel said:

So you enter some data on a website and this makes you trackable? How? I don't understand the mechanics of it...

They will have more information on when and where you plan to enter/exit the country.

After you register, you are already on the electronic database so no need to stand at a desk and see an actual person.

Passport scan, facial recognition and fingerprint scan will happen at the automated gate as usual. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

So they're replacing the visa, that was waived, with an ETA.

This will stay free for all of five minutes I suspect.

S. Korea has an ETA system and it was almost $10 dollars.  But the ETA was good for a year.  The S. Korean ETA response was under 5 minutes.  I doubt anything from LOS will be that quick or efficient. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, sqwakvfr said:

S. Korea has an ETA system and it was almost $10 dollars.  But the ETA was good for a year.  The S. Korean ETA response was under 5 minutes.  I doubt anything from LOS will be that quick or efficient. 

Dunno about that. Cambodia has recently implemented an online arrival card system and app, and it seems to work pretty well.

Mind you they are already 15 years ahead of Thailand when it comes to e-visas. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Mr Meeseeks said:

Dunno about that. Cambodia has recently implemented an online arrival card system and app, and it seems to work pretty well.

Mind you they are already 15 years ahead of Thailand when it comes to e-visas. 

One problem I see if LOS charges for an ETA is sometimes using a foreign or debit card can be difficlut. Using the S. Korean ETA entry portal on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website was a breeze and using my American Credit Card was also a breeze.