PM suspected of Trying to Erase Evidence Related to Thaksin's Hospital Stay

"suspected" - really? 

A little late in the season, don't you think so? But anyhow, that episode of Thailand's political soap opera was a year ago and hence yesteryear's news. 

Next please .......... 

2 hours ago, mikeymike100 said:

Are you  suggesting that Thailand is a 'real' democracy???

No. Nor do I claim that Thai politics are clean. Political life in a country reflects the society as a whole. The same people in this forum who complain about corruption are also the first to  laugh about how they offer up tea money or play the visa system.  

The issue here is one of an accusation without any proof. It is a common tactic in Thailand: The uttering of accusations without evidence, innuendo, smears etc. It is how the MFP was  attacked and sidelined. If Thaksin has done wrong, then use the legal system in a fair manner to prosecute him. Every time a false charge is used, it is an obstacle to cleaning up the country. Being honest  is a 24/7 activity, not an act of convenience when it suits someone.

• Haha 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, sabai-dee-man said:

But that's just it... the public didn't vote for it! They voted overwhelmingly for Pita.

No. Winning more votes than any other party is not the same thing as winning 'a majority of votes' (ie more than all the other parties put together). Which is why we don't have an MFP (or now PP) government.

In parliamentary democracies - and even in pseudo-democracies such as Thailand - 'winner takes all' is NOT the underlying concept or process.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, stoner said:

just thai politicians or ? 

In Terry Pratchett's Diskworld he describes a land called 4X (nothing like any country in our round world of course) in which it is the standard procedure to lock up all politicians as soon as they get elected; as the jailor explained to Rincewind The Wizzard: "it saves time".

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

No. Winning more votes than any other party is not the same thing as winning 'a majority of votes' (ie more than all the other parties put together). Which is why we don't have an MFP (or now PP) government.

In parliamentary democracies - and even in pseudo-democracies such as Thailand - 'winner takes all' is NOT the underlying concept or process.

Yes, but when stooges (Senators) put in place by the Junta decide the election, it's not even remotely fair to the voters. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Agreed, a committee will be set up. A year from now all will be the same. But as for the Pm being presumed innocent, i disagree. The PM follows her daddies wishes. He is a controller. Besides this. They already have testimony from the guards that were overseeing his stay in the hospital saying he never left. Surely, this is enough as we know all prison guards never accept bribes or make false statements. Their testimony should be enough that makes viewing video evidence irrelevant alongside a few envelopes being passed around. 

I worry about this new PM. She is young and will have no future if she is doing everything daddy tells her. She has a long life ahead of her and do not think she wants to spend it hiding out in another country exiled or fleeing. 

Don’t think she is to bothered with properties in many countries she can up sticks and fly like a bird with her wealth there are much better places to live than Thailand !

On 9/8/2024 at 12:31 PM, webfact said:

image.jpeg

File photo by Wason Wanichakorn via AP

Prime Minister Paetongtarn Shinawatra is suspected of attempting to destroy evidence related to her father, Thaksin Shinawatra’s alleged fraudulent hospital stay at Bangkok Police Hospital. 

The suspicion arises from claims that Paetongtarn may have orchestrated the removal of CCTV footage and other evidence to cover up her father's purported deception. 

Thaksin, reported as critically ill for six months before his recent parole, is accused of feigning illness to avoid serving his prison sentence for abuse of power and misconduct.

Pichit Chaimongkol, leader of the Students & People Network for Thailand Reform, suggested that Paetongtarn could have secretly disposed of or destroyed evidence to conceal her father’s alleged scheme. 

This claim comes as the National Anti-Corruption Commission collects evidence, including CCTV footage, to investigate the authenticity of Thaksin’s hospital stay after his return from self-exile.

Additionally, the Khana Nitichon Cherdchutham activist group has filed a lawsuit against Paetongtarn in the Constitutional Court for violating political ethics and the constitution by appointing Thavi Sodsong, who is accused of abusing power and applying double standards in Thaksin’s case. 

If found guilty, Paetongtarn and Sodsong could face immediate removal from office, and other officials involved could also face legal consequences, reported Thai Newsroom.

news-logo-btm.jpg

-- 2024-09-08

news-footer-3.png

Get the ASEAN NOW daily NEWSLETTER - Click HERE to subscribe

Human nature..when not in power, they tried very hard to run people down ..pointing fingers...So it can benefit them later...Just low and cheap Scum....every where

30 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Yes, but when stooges (Senators) put in place by the Junta decide the election, it's not even remotely fair to the voters. 

Agreed, but people keep writing things like 'The public voted overwhelmingly for Pita'.

Well, they didn't.

1 minute ago, Will B Good said:

The people who voted, voted overwhelmingly for Pita?

No. More people voted for MFP than for any other one party. But not more than all the other parties put together. So you can scarcely call it 'overwhelming'.

What it means is that no one party had a majority so, to form a government that can pass legislation in the Lower House, you have to form a coalition. And MFP & PT did form a coalition for 5 minutes till PT got what it thought was a better offer from the dinosaurs.

Will that do PT any good in the long run? Well, we'll have a fair idea after the next 'election'.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, stoner said:

this is the concept i am ridiculed for almost daily. 

I think when you are frequently ridiculed that is a sign that you're on the right track, when the masses do not understand you, that means that you have some clarity and that you're perceiving some truth. I've always been the black sheep of my family who often label me a conspiracy theorist, when I am far from it.

I just have an open mind and I like to think things through and I very rarely accept the narrative that I'm given, especially when I'm giving that narrative by a government entity. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2024 at 4:54 PM, Patong2021 said:

Thankfully you have no authority, nor power to act on your imagined world.

What we have is an allegation. In Thailand it is easy to accuse. Political factions like to point  their grubby dirty fingers.  Proving the case is something quite different. The PM is entitles to the presumption of innocence. The burden of proving guilt lies with her accusers.

It's a complicated job being a PM in Thailand

On 9/8/2024 at 11:31 AM, webfact said:

Thaksin, reported as critically ill for six months before his recent parole, is accused of feigning illness to avoid serving his prison sentence for abuse of power and misconduct.

No kidding.

On 9/8/2024 at 11:31 AM, webfact said:

Pichit Chaimongkol, leader of the Students & People Network for Thailand Reform, suggested that Paetongtarn could have secretly disposed of or destroyed evidence to conceal her father’s alleged scheme. 

And they'll get away with it.  Two tier system of justice. 
One tier for elites like Thakin and the .05%.
Another tier for the plebs, commoners, and the other 99.95%.

Penthouse hospital suites for the former.
Prisons for the latter.

• Agree 1

On 9/8/2024 at 11:37 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Guilty as charged.

Lock her up.

And put him back into jail, real jail.

And don't forget to punish all the people who enabled this charade. 

Have you considered the possibility that there are untouchable enablers?

On 9/8/2024 at 6:37 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Guilty as charged.

Lock her up.

And put him back into jail, real jail.

And don't forget to punish all the people who enabled this charade. 

Along with Prayut ???

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, mfd101 said:

Well said Khun Thaksin’s previous landslide election WINS with Thai Rak Thai party were the best examples. Wait till MFP/PP do that then we talk

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Don't tell me he wasn't really critically ill just to avoid spending a night in jail, that is such a shock, surely he understands that not for 1 second did anyone believe his story, laughable,  blood is thicker than water and corruption is a family business 

• Like 1