Elderly Australian Caught Stealing Vitamin C in Chonburi

Georgealbert

2 hours ago, itsari said:

Because there is a sign explaining the consequeces of stealing in the shop does not make it legal.

Kind of a funny comment when we're talking about someone who stole things i.e. breaking the law!

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Georgealbert said:

However, under the store's policy, shoplifters are fined ten times the value of the stolen goods. This brought the total amount he was required to pay to 9,540 baht.

That comment is so Thailand, does it get any stupider ?

1 hour ago, cracker1 said:

I managed very large retail outlets in my country many years ago and this reported situation would never stand the test in Court.

He had not stolen the items until he left the store !

I'll correct your statement:

"I managed very large retail outlets in my country many years ago and this reported situation would never stand the test in Court IN MY COUNTRY"

This is Thailand, put something in your pocket and have a track record of stealing from the same shop?  You're guilty!

Edited by simon43

22 minutes ago, mstevens said:

Kind of a funny comment when we're talking about someone who stole things i.e. breaking the law!

Stealing is precisely what the Australian government does .

That makes it on topic since the man in question is from Australia. He is an angel in comparison.

9 hours ago, still kicking said:

Nobody knows what the reason is for his shoplifting maybe he had a Thai wife who dumped him maybe he was just on an Aussie pension and could not afford to buy many things stop bashing nationalities what is tomorrow? Thai bashing, Pommie  bashing, Yankee bashing? Get real it could happen to all of us 

No excuse for stealing

5 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I feel so sad for Bruce, he's made the AN news headlines twice in 10 hours. 
Is this issue really double newsworthy, stealing a pack of vitamins is hardly a hanging offence.

Poor guy made a mistake, he's returned the vitamins without resisting, frightened and shaking, he's probably terrified, all the uniforms and media, I  hope you guys don't kill him.

Give the guy a break for Gods sake 

Thailand attracts all kinds of plebes 

12 minutes ago, itsari said:

Stealing is precisely what the Australian government does .

That makes it on topic since the man in question is from Australia. He is an angel in comparison.

He is an angel in comparison - if he did it in Australia (according to your post)

Frankly I don't know why this would be considered newsworthy, this happens all over the world, every minute of every day. This guy was stealing a very low value item, how on earth could that  possibly be newsworthy? 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Frankly I don't know why this would be considered newsworthy, this happens all over the world, every minute of every day. This guy was stealing a very low value item, how on earth could that  possibly be newsworthy? 

I agree.  It's petty theft.  It's still theft but on a very low scale (Yes it's still wrong). 

It certainly wouldn't make headlines in most western countries.  But TiT and this being a website for falang, everything regarding foreigners seems to be reported. 

Silly old bugger,  didn't he get told by his parents ' If you can't do the time then don't do the crime' 

I even educated my kids with that one.  No convictions thus far. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Umm.  Why in the world is this nothing story headlined as one of the top two stories of the day?   Oh, wait.  It has a Pattaya angle.   Never mind.   Meanwhile, this Aussie should decamp for northern Virginia, where I used to live.  According to my brother-in-law, who ran a pharmacy there, police will not respond to store thefts unless the amount of merchandise stolen amounts to $150.   Bottle of Vitamin C?   Good to go.  

Considering it was not his first time stealing goods plus him saying he has  no money 🤔 

Maybe best he went back to Australia 🇦🇺 

Saying that maybe he has nothing back  there either

He is not in a good position at this time 😱

11 minutes ago, Korat Kiwi said:

I agree.  It's petty theft.  It's still theft but on a very low scale (Yes it's still wrong). 

It certainly wouldn't make headlines in most western countries.  But TiT and this being a website for falang, everything regarding foreigners seems to be reported. 

Silly old bugger,  didn't he get told by his parents ' If you can't do the time then don't do the crime' 

I even educated my kids with that one.  No convictions thus far. 

At his age his parents were probably calling him "thou" not "you", and at that time were the majority of Aussies parents' not the offspring of convicts anyway? 🙂 

Edited by sambum
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

That comment is so Thailand, does it get any stupider ?

Not at all, seems reasonable to me.

Pay up or go to court.

These Aussies make us all look bad. 

He has probably been at it all his life.

It isn’t like he was going to die if he didn’t have vitamin c. 
Lowlife scum

• Confused 1

Just now, BerndD said:

You are right. He can start collecting empty plastic bottles! Or give BJ to gay guys?

What's the problem? Most of you guys on this fine platform came to Thailand expecting the same from Thais.

• Haha 1

We see all the time these type of fines, such as 2,000 baht for smoking in a hotel room etc. or taking Durian into a hotel.

Makes me wonder, are these' fines' actually legal?