Thai Parliament Set to Decide on Controversial Liquor Bill Today

snoop1130

8 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Thailand might "controversially" leap into the 21st Century. Well I don't think this is a good idea. Progression should be quelled by all corrupt means possible.

Does this bill also cover the absolutely anachronistic prohibition of sales of alcohol midnight to eleven in the morning and two to five in the afternoon. I hope not. This would be a very bad idea. Imagine the turmoil if one could actually go to the supermarket at 10:30 am or 2:30 pm and purchase alcohol. It's obviously a serious health issue and possibly a threat to national security.

It could even lead to a revolution or world Wwar! Maybe also to the end of the world! .... I love your humor.

10 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The bill is up against two other proposals from the ruling Pheu Thai Party and its coalition partner, the United Thai Nation Party. Parliament’s decision to read each bill individually, rather than together, has heightened concerns that government MPs will oppose the People’s Party’s initiative

A done deal then.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The bill is up against two other proposals from the ruling Pheu Thai Party and its coalition partner, the United Thai Nation Party. Parliament’s decision to read each bill individually, rather than together, has heightened concerns that government MPs will oppose the People’s Party’s initiative.

So what exactly are the other 2 bills proposing that's different. Anybody know?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I have no issue with the taxes or the no alcohol hours.

I can buy what I want 24/7.

However, smaller breweries should be allowed so that we can drink decent beer rather than the Singha, Leo etc  sweet stuff that have been the only ones available for years and running a monopoly.

(Big C are pulling the more independent beers off their shelves already!)

Carabao, the best tasting Thai Beer. was only available at Big C and Lotus a few months. It’s off the shelfes now.

• Agree 1

Dear Beer Importers,

While you're waiting around for this legislative shenanigan to play out, please consider importing some of the WONDERFUL non-alcoholic (N/A) brews that are currently available in Europe.  For those of you scoffing at the thought, I only say "hold your judgement until you try them".  Guiness 0.0 sales are skyrocketing in Ireland as are other N/A brands liked Leffe, Brand, Grolsch, etc. throughout Europe.   For centuries people have considered that the person who can invent a hangover cure will be King.  Well, it's done.  Drink to your heart's content and avoid the problems and hangovers associated with alcohol.

Unfortunately, the only readily available local N/A brew, Heineken 0.0, remains at the lower end of the N/A quality range -- which is why we need the Importers to step up their game.  

Thanks,

GiveMeAColdOne (preferably a N/A one!).

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

All laws should be reviewed and the alcohol sales hours, the extreme tax on imported alcohol should be banned too.. They want to stimulate the economy, but they withhold it with the outdated laws and the so called protecting of the Thai people, instead of let them have freedom to invent and give possibilities.

I think there has to be some sort of control process.  Not so much restricting but licenising and knowing who is brewing in what area in case of problems with the brews

2 hours ago, ronster said:

Still waiting on them reducing the price of wines etc from reducing tax on them 🙄

the last I heard on that was that the rather substantial reduction of the 360% tax and duty on wine (being the preferred liquid of the foreign devil......and a certain x-PM - if over 100k/bottle)

would go out the window right away...........well 1) right away is not really translatable and 2) the supermarkets will have a say in the end price. They do it in all western countries, raising all consumer prices way beyond the inflation rate and forgetting to lower them again when inflation is down. Oh what joy to be a neoliberal capitalist today, licence to print money and we all buy the paper and ink and provide the labour too.

• Agree 2

Taopiphop Limjittrakorn of the People’s Party, promoting Brewing Deregulation.

...His proposal includes controversial provisions allowing individuals to brew liquor or beer for personal use without permitting...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Under the existing laws, liquor production must come with license.

But these things are already Openly Sold:.

Home Brewing Malt Hops Yeast ทำเบียร์ หมักเบียร์ ต้มเบียร์ (thaibrewshop.co)

Amazing Thailand, isn't it?

2 hours ago, Hamma said:

Carabao, the best tasting Thai Beer. was only available at Big C and Lotus a few months. It’s off the shelfes now.

I agree. It is quite good and have also Dunkel and IPA varieties. You can still buy it at Villa Market.

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

The price of imported alcohol, beer and wine in this country id ridiculous...

we're forced to consume the rubbish the Thai brewers make.

The price of imported spirits is much lower than in the UK (and probably many other countries).

No one is forcing you to consume any alcohol.

I just wish they'd import slimline tonic.  I don't want all that sugar in my G&T.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Foxx said:

The price of imported spirits is much lower than in the UK (and probably many other countries).

No one is forcing you to consume any alcohol.

I just wish they'd import slimline tonic.  I don't want all that sugar in my G&T.

I'm in the UK right now and imported wine is cheap. Getting very drinkable wine for 250B a bottle. The same bottle, if you could even find it, would be at least double in Thailand. Probably triple.

Ridiculous laws created decades ago and now protecting some of the richest families in Thailand

17 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

His proposal includes controversial provisions allowing individuals to brew liquor or beer for personal use without permitting.

Anything that adversely impacts the Thai alcohol monopoly will not be allowed.

• Sad 1

I'm a tea totter, not even a beer. But, if folks want to drink, and want variety then I think it is their decision. I know in the US there are all kind of small brewerers that make beer, and allot of beer enthusiasts love these places.  Same with wine here.