Car recommendations

Yodarapper

I test drove a BYD Sealion and was impressed.

i am looking for a car for the family - 2 adults and 2 small kids. Also would be nice to fit the grandparents when they visit from Europe but again this I know is not always.

we drive to school/work every day and then shopping or into Bangkok city center at weekends.

we drive to pattaya and rayong for getaways and Koh Chang etc.

can you recommend any suitable cars? Not more than a Million and I am open to electric if it’s a good option but I will want to sell it on when we leave Thailand. Will be putting down around 200K and financing the rest.

THANKS!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Toyota are reliable and service is good and plentiful

I’ve had a Toyota Avanza for ten years from new. Utterly reliable, slow and boring, but cheap to run and service with amazing interior room and seven seats. Tyres last for ever as rear wheel drive. Only ever had to replace two light bulbs, one just a couple of months ago. 

Let’s see where these cheap Chinese EVs are in ten years time!

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/6/2024 at 7:28 AM, Yodarapper said:

I test drove a BYD Sealion and was impressed.

i am looking for a car for the family - 2 adults and 2 small kids. Also would be nice to fit the grandparents when they visit from Europe but again this I know is not always.

we drive to school/work every day and then shopping or into Bangkok city center at weekends.

we drive to pattaya and rayong for getaways and Koh Chang etc.

can you recommend any suitable cars? Not more than a Million and I am open to electric if it’s a good option but I will want to sell it on when we leave Thailand. Will be putting down around 200K and financing the rest.

THANKS!

Spouse and I have placed an order for a Sealion; it should arrive by the end of the month, we are told.  We were also impressed with it.  We like it is PHEV, which we think will suit us at this point.  Most of our driving is around town, with a monthly trip to Bangkok, so we should mostly be using only electric.   The MG mentioned by other posters also seems like it could be a good option.

Used Honda or Toyota - going cheap at the moment - the Thai used car market has taken a dive (more than most).

Only buy from a dealer, unless you know what you are doing with regards rego transfers, ownership checks, etc etc.

Whatever the listed price, offer 30% lower - negotiate from there.

One2car is probably the best website here for used cars.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Used Honda or Toyota - going cheap at the moment - the Thai used car market has taken a dive (more than most).

Only buy from a dealer, unless you know what you are doing with regards rego transfers, ownership checks, etc etc.

Whatever the listed price, offer 30% lower - negotiate from there.

One2car is probably the best website here for used cars.

I want to finance so think must buy new but thanks for advice!

42 minutes ago, newnative said:

Spouse and I have placed an order for a Sealion; it should arrive by the end of the month, we are told.  We were also impressed with it.  We like it is PHEV, which we think will suit us at this point.  Most of our driving is around town, with a monthly trip to Bangkok, so we should mostly be using only electric.   The MG mentioned by other posters also seems like it could be a good option.

I drove it and it was class - quiet, inside felt like a private jet 😂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I have an MG Z full gas and love it.  Very reilable and plenty of room.

That’s what I am driving - been renting for 2 years this is year 3 don’t mind it but mine makes a very loud noise when accelerating

2 minutes ago, Yodarapper said:

I want to finance so think must buy new but thanks for advice!

You can finance a used car too - the big dealers usually have finance available for their newer used cars, but Somchai in a used car 'tent' will not have that option.   Toyota Sure is a network of certified used car dealers - worth a look on their website.

ซื้อ-ขายรถมือสองกับโตโยต้าชัวร์ ราคาดีมาตรฐานศูนย์ | TOYOTA SURE

Regent Home, PPK, BB Smart, Siam Motor World etc are worth a look - if you know what you want to buy.

By that I mean select the Brand and Model you want first - then look for those available.

Not sure how used EV/Hybrids are going, but I assume their prices are down too.

The good thing about buying used is that the prices are low - new car prices here have not dropped at all.

Most dealers will also buy back the car when you have finished with it - I assume you are here for a few years only. 

Avoid the 'tents' - they are not a goods options for a quality near new used car.

Unfortunately, the new car dealers here do not sell used cars - unlike those back in Aust and I assume elsewhere.

The majority of used cars for sale are in Bangkok - they will ship them there from all over. 

55 minutes ago, Yodarapper said:

That’s what I am driving - been renting for 2 years this is year 3 don’t mind it but mine makes a very loud noise when accelerating

A young Thai male would pay more for that noise. 🙂