How do you feel about this?

There are a few large shops here, I'm sure you all know which ones I have in mind, where you pay for your purchase, then right after the checkout there is someone who want to see your receipt and compare with everything you purchased.

So either they don't trust their cashier, or they consider their customers to be thieves. I think it is the latter, and I hate it to be treated like a thief. I then also will only visit those particular shops if I have no other choice, like they have a product I can't get anywhere else

I always tell them, check your cashier if you don't trust her, not your customers. Once, I even have gone to the extent that I returned my whole trolley for a refund, so at that point they were 100% sure that I had paid for everything.

So what is your feeling about this. Are you also annoyed by it?

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

23 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

There are a few large shops here, I'm sure you all know which ones I have in mind, where you pay for your purchase, then right after the checkout there is someone who want to see your receipt and compare with everything you purchased.

So either they don't trust their cashier, or they consider their customers to be thieves. I think it is the latter, and I hate it to be treated like a thief. I then also will only visit those particular shops if I have no other choice, like they have a product I can't get anywhere else

I always tell them, check your cashier if you don't trust her, not your customers. Once, I even have gone to the extent that I returned my whole trolley for a refund, so at that point they were 100% sure that I had paid for everything.

I am so happy to see I'm not the only one who feels that way. I actually sometimes mess with them and  tell them I don't have it. It's so annoying.

They do that in the States as well.

5 minutes ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

I thought it was a bit odd but I suppose they are checking you didn't add a few things in there and it's not the cashiers job to look. Become more common with self serve checkouts.  

There are no self check outs in Thailand, so I guess you are even not here. And of course it is the cashiers job to scan everything in your trolley.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

There are no self check outs in Thailand, so I guess you are even not here. And of course it is the cashiers job to scan everything in your trolley.

There are self checkouts at TOPS on Koh Samui (Central Festival) and I suspect other TOPS main stores as well.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Tropicalevo said:

There are self checkouts at TOPS on Koh Samui (Central Festival) and I suspect other TOPS main stores as well.

Maybe you are right, though I never shop at Tops, and I'm sure you also know which shops this topic is about

1 minute ago, frank83628 said:

seems youre making a big deal over nothing

Yes I'm making a big deal about it, because I don't consider it nothing to be treated as a thief, but you are entitled to your opinion, hence the question in the thread title

15 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

I am here about 4 months but don't go to that many big stores such as Makro except Koh Chang. Live like a tourist. The reason I mentioned the self checkouts is a thai friend in Australia got a job - pretty sure it was with Makro - working on the role out of self checkouts. That was a couple of years ago so maybe the decision to introduce them  got shelved. 

Edited by Fat is a type of crazy
  • Confused 1

Just now, CallumWK said:

Yes I'm making a big deal about it, because I don't consider it nothing to be treated as a thief, but you are entitled to your opinion, hence the question in the thread title

but they do it to everyone, so it not just you, or maybe you just look dodgy

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, frank83628 said:

but they do it to everyone, so it not just you, or maybe you just look dodgy

Of course they do it to everyone, so you think it normal they don't trust their customers?

You bet they have to keep an eye on cashiers.  In most retail businesses, inside employee theft is a huge issue and contributes to overhead which has to be made up in pricing.  When I worked for a Sears in the US, friends of mine would stop buy my department expecting me to ring-up a "special" price for them.  You can believe that if stores like Makro weren't vigilant, every cashier's aunt's, uncles, cousins and neighbors would head for her line and expect her to "miss" a few items.

Taking it personally makes no sense at all.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Of course they do it to everyone, so you think it normal they don't trust their customers?

i think its someone is employed to do it, i would let something so trivial get to me, didnt you come here to retire from the stress of home life?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dddave said:

You bet they have to keep an eye on cashiers.  In most retail businesses, inside employee theft is a huge issue and contributes to overhead which has to be made up in pricing.  When I worked for a Sears in the US, friends of mine would stop buy my department expecting me to ring-up a "special" price for them.  You can believe that if stores like Makro weren't vigilant, every cashier's aunt's, uncles, cousins and neighbors would head for her line and expect her to "miss" a few items.

Taking it personally makes no sense at all.

Then they should check on their cashiers, which I'm sure they do already with the camera above each checkout, and not put the inconvenience on their customers

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Once, I even have gone to the extent that I returned my whole trolley for a refund, so at that point they were 100% sure that I had paid for everything.

Are you friends with Karen?

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

They didn't single you out as they check every included the staff. Its called loss prevention. Nothing to get worked up over really.

13 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

It would be very easy for a cashier and a "customer" to work together and steal things. Its done all over the world.  They are checking more that the staff scanned and registered each item in the cart.  

Just now, Dan O said:

They didn't single you out as they check every included the staff. Its called loss prevention. Nothing to get worked up over really.

I also didn't say they singled me out, they should do whatever they want to do without inconvenience paying customers.

Often there is a queue, because of the mom and pop shops that have 5 trolleys to check. Nice if you have some frozen goods in your purchases

The only time I object is if there's a queue and it takes awhile.  But then, I only object to them not having enough staff.  The fact that they check receipts doesn't faze me in the least, understanding that it keeps my prices lower by reducing shrinkage. 

If it didn't reduce the shrink, they wouldn't waste the wages paying them.

13 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

Then they should check on their cashiers, which I'm sure they do already with the camera above each checkout, and not put the inconvenience on their customers

2 options for people like you.

-Don't shop at these stores that do checks

-Don't shop at all..buy online.

Then you wouldn't get into a 'tizzy fit' over such a trivial matter. Some people's children!

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

I'm not annoyed. But to quote Monty Python. "I didn't expect the Vanished Improvisions,"

38 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

There are self check outs in numerous outlets in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pattaya and other cities.

8 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

2 options for people like you.

-Don't shop at these stores that do checks

-Don't shop at all..buy online.

Then you wouldn't get into a 'tizzy fit' over such a trivial matter. Some people's children!

As I said already in the OP, I then also will only visit those particular shops if I have no other choice, like they have a product I can't get anywhere else

And no I don't need to shop online because Big C - Lotus - foodland don't have this practice, and get my business.

8 minutes ago, saakura said:

There are self check outs in numerous outlets in Bangkok, Nonthaburi, Pattaya and other cities.

Yes probably Tops as mentioned by someone already, but I don't shop at Tops, and the shops this topic is about  have no self check outs anywhere in Thailand as to my knowledge

30 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

I also didn't say they singled me out, they should do whatever they want to do without inconvenience paying customers.

Often there is a queue, because of the mom and pop shops that have 5 trolleys to check. Nice if you have some frozen goods in your purchases

No they didn't single you out but you give that impression.  You control where you shop. If its really that horrendous for you take your business elsewhere.

1 hour ago, CallumWK said:

I am only annoyed by people who ask WHY?

Should be obvious...the reason for checking receipts on the way out the door.

Retailers have been doing this for DECADES....

This is why I find this TOPIC to be...nothing but.....

Annoying.....maybe....

2 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

This is why I find this TOPIC to be...nothing but.....

Annoying.....maybe....

Coming from the guy who started over 600 annoying topics

Edited by CallumWK