Why Do You Even Drink?

SoCal1990

I've drank wine most of my adult life, in moderation mostly, and always thought wine was good for you in small amounts. The research back then matches it today. I\ve never had any health problems besides sore joints from lifting and an H Pylori infection , likely from the water here. Here's one link with some data..................https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265635#blood-pressure

• Agree 1

On 10/9/2024 at 10:48 AM, Presnock said:

alcohol is classified as a POISON for the human body. 

Thus we all need a little poison (sans caps!)  in our lives (and intakes), do we not?  Keep on quaffing the stuff, please! 

3 minutes ago, CallumWK said:

I notice our resident troll is again very active in this thread, shame his posts get removed before I have the chance to read them

What/whom is this all about?   We need to know! 

On 10/9/2024 at 10:47 AM, BritManToo said:

Most people buy the cheapest alcoholic drink they can tolerate.

Fine wine is a waste of money after the first glass or two.

What total and utter rubbish this is!  Where do you pick up such  crazy ideas? 

On 10/9/2024 at 6:56 AM, SoCal1990 said:

Why do people even drink alcohol? I can’t work it out. They spend a lot of money on wine and the like. Then they spend hours drinking the stuff trying to get snockered. And once they’re properly drunk then they are possibly going to get in a serious car accident, a fight, fall down, throw up and end up lying in a pile of their own vomit, or just wake up with a terrible hangover that lasts 24-48 hours. Not to mention the long term damage it can cause to cognitive brain function, liver, heart, etc. 

Meanwhile, alcohol consumption keeps falling every year within the younger people demographic and cannabis use continues to increase. So why don’t more older people just use cannabis edibles? Works much better than alcohol. Doesn’t cost much. Gets you zooted for hours and none of the downsides of alcohol. 

• Your first paragraph describes a very small percentage of people who consume alcohol
  • Your second paragraph describes the raising consumption of drugs and seems to encourage it

Try to see the big picture on this and decide to yourself.

On 10/9/2024 at 8:26 AM, SoCal1990 said:

Why do people even drink alcohol? I can’t work it out.

Because they (we) like it.

They spend a lot of money on wine and the like. Then they spend hours drinking the stuff trying to get snockered.

You assume anyone who drinks does so soley to get drunk.

Do you eat soley to get full ? (if so why not eat the same food every day) - the point there is, some of us enjoy consuming wine and food, beer and whisky, for more than what in your mind seems to be a singular end result (in which case,  why not just inject something).

And once they’re properly drunk then they are possibly going to get in a serious car accident,

Not if they don't drink drive !!...  

a fight, fall down, throw up and end up lying in a pile of their own vomit,

Not unless they are complete morons - again you assume anyone who drinks does so purely to get drunk... nothing of the taste, or social aspect.

or just wake up with a terrible hangover that lasts 24-48 hours.

Again - you assume everyone who drinks gets drunk.

Not to mention the long term damage it can cause to cognitive brain function, liver, heart, etc. 

Are you now also assuming anyone who drinks has an issue with alcoholism and anyone who enjoys wine or beer etc is causing long term damage ?

Meanwhile, alcohol consumption keeps falling every year within the younger people demographic and cannabis use continues to increase.

Ah.. I get it now - this is just an anti-alcohol thread because you want to fight back and support weed are a spate of recent negative articles regarding weed use and people going nuts. 

So why don’t more older people just use cannabis edibles?

I'm sure they are - I am, and I think they are great.

But I also enjoy wine, beer, Whisky etc.

Works much better than alcohol. Doesn’t cost much.

Nope - 

Nice wine, beer or Whisky etc = experience & enjoyment of consumption, + a social aspect...

Weed = end game getting stoned...

One is more about the process over hours, the other is about achieving an end result - they are different things entirely.

Gets you zooted for hours and none of the downsides of alcohol. 

You mean other than gettnig zooted for hours.

I want a glass of wine with dinner tonight - I don't want to get stoned.

Friends may come over, and we finish the bottle and open a few more, maybe some Wiskeys. 

The don't want to come over smoke a joint and sit there forgetting the conversation every 2 mins while monged out.

The two 'alcohol and Cannibis' serve completely different purposes. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, itsari said:

Most people do not drink to become intoxicated as you seem to imply. 

Many individuals drink alcohol for being social and meeting others.

A few drink alcohol for the wrong reasons and end up as you describe in your post.

Moderation is the key to life hic

Everything in moderation...........including moderation!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Please see the following forum guideline re multiple quotes, thank you:

@richard_smith237

7. Do not quote more than three multiple nested quotes. Only quote the person you are replying to, and only quote the relevant section that you are discussing.