Big bike forced off road by car on Bangkok highway - video

snoop1130

image.jpeg

A dramatic incident occurred on Vibhavadi Rangsit Road in Bangkok when a big bike was forced off the road by a car and ended up in the median strip’s bushes. The shocking footage was captured and posted on TikTok by user @noeyjirawadee.

The incident, which happened yesterday, October 10, shows the motorbike rider travelling in the middle lane behind a car. As the bike attempts to overtake, the car suddenly veers to the right, either attempting a sudden lane change or intentionally pushing the bike off the lane. This caused the motorbike to fall, and the rider was thrown into the median strip filled with bushes.

The car involved, which is believed to be a silver MG ZS, sped off without stopping to check on the rider’s condition. Fortunately, the motorbike rider was not seriously injured and received help from other motorists.

“At first, I didn’t catch what happened. I didn’t think my dashcam would record the event. When I got home and reviewed the footage, I saw it all. Based on what I saw, the car that hit the bike was a silver MG ZS (couldn’t see the licence plate). I want to send the clip to the motorbike rider, in case it helps. I feel guilty for not getting their contact number right away.”

The video shows the big bike riding steadily on the road until the abrupt manoeuvre by the car caused the collision. The rider, although shaken, managed to escape with minor injuries. The incident has garnered significant attention online, with many viewers expressing outrage over the car driver’s reckless behaviour and the subsequent hit-and-run.

Community members and viewers are encouraged to share any information they might have about the incident, particularly concerning the silver MG ZS, to assist in the investigation, reported KhaoSod.

By Puntid Tantivangphaisal

Photo courtesy of KhaoSod

@noeyjirawadee ทีแรกมองไม่ทัน ไม่คิดว่ากล้องรถตัวเองจะเห็นเหตุการณ์ พอกลับบ้านมาย้อนดูถึงรู้ว่าถ่ายไว้ได้ทั้งหมด จากที่เห็นคาดการณ์ว่ารถยนต์คันที่ชนคือ MG ZS สีเงิน (มองไม่เห็นป้ายทะเบียน) อยากส่งคลิปให้พี่มอไซค์ครับ เผื่อจะช่วยอะไรได้บ้าง แอบรู้สึกผิดที่ไม่ได้ลงไปขอเบอร์ไว้ตั้งแต่แรก🥺 #รถชน #อุบัติเหตุ #วิภาวดี #รังสิต #มอเตอร์ไซค์ #รถยนต์ #ตามหาคนในคลิป ♬ คนใจสู้ - ซี ดาหลา & วงริสแบนด์

Source: The Thaiger

-- 2024-10-11

news-footer-3.png

image.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

There are a couple of problems here.

The motorcycle rider is illegally riding on that street

I don't think the rider was riding illegally, saying that, Thailand does have a stupid law on some roads that motorbikes must be riden in the slow lane 

Lane filtering is now legal Australia when in slow traffic

IMG_20241012_045321.jpg

Edited by SAFETY FIRST
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't think the rider was riding illegally.

IMG_20241012_045321.jpg

I don’t think it’s anything to do with lane splitting. He shouldn’t have been on the car right of the highway, technically in some places, bikes should be over in the frontage, they shouldn’t be over on the right. Idk, riding those highways under the expressways used to scare the crap out of me. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, recom273 said:

He shouldn’t have been on the car right of the highway, technically in some places, bikes should be over in the frontage, they shouldn’t be over on the right

Yes, this strange law on some roads. 

Hopeful, if the cops look at the video, they'd be charging the car driver. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

Glad the bike rider is ok.. but if you have driven here for a long time (17 years here) you already know that most bike riders deserve to end ip on the bushes… especially the moto taxi and messengers 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

As usual the change of lane was done without using the indicator. I’m not sure why car manufacturers even bother to put indicators in Thai cars. They either use them way too late, or more often, not at all. 

2 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I don't think the rider was riding illegally, saying that, Thailand does have a stupid law on some roads that motorbikes must be riden in the slow lane 

IMG_20241012_045321.jpg

This is certainly not illegal, call it lane splitting, under or overtaking is certainly allowed with certain condition even in Thailand.

Looking at the heading of article then video prior I though the car might done it intentional cause that is the mentality of so many drivers here. I see it everyday happens to me daily driver come tailgate squeeze into lanes to pass with very little room drivers are so disensitized to the danger bikes legal or not stand no chance against a ton of steel.

From the video and Ive been on this road the driver never looked what is bad left the scene.

The bike wasnt recklessly speeding  or passing illegally.

• Like 1

Any rod almost anywhere in Thailand has bad drivers...I use this road often and it's usual to see drivers cut in quickly....umpteen times in half an hour. Using mirrors is novel!

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Thailand doesnt have a law that says bikes must ride in the slow lane, but the police, lawyers, judges and courts seem to think it is the law and apportion blame accordingly. 

That's nice to know. 

I've been pulled up several times by the cops, travelling in the fast lane. 

• Like 1

Splitting Lanes?! Is that a 'western thing'? This is Thailand,  cars & trucks routinely split lanes, half in one lane, half in another, It is just Thai driving and BTW Songtaews up here are expert doing it as they block traffic in both lanes and enjoy doing it. I would be surprised, no shocked, if I do not see someone, private car, truck or a Songtaew doing it today. 

However it is an expat tradition to blame the victim ... in this case the cyclist. Just another clueless driver, or did it deliberately, another fun fact of the Thai roads. 

Hilarious reading these comments.

No one hear mentioned common sense as it probably no permitted in Asia..lol

What makes you feel that swerving in and out of lanes,  cutting through lanes and driving like you own the whole entire roadways thinks you're going to not get hit.. There's a reason why in the West this is not tolerated.. You go to driving school and you drive properly just like regular automobiles..  Only In Asia the law is completely ignored when it comes to motorcycles or scooters. 

Yep that this car that probably did not see the bike cuz he was in a blind spot hit the motorcycle then all sudden it's the automobile's fault.  

Stupid is as  stupid does.. He should be thankful the bushes were there.

IMHO as an ex-magistrate, I would find them both guilty.

First, looking at the motorbike, his offences under the Thai RTA were, Section 44 no indicator, no lane splitting

in the run up to the accident Section 45 overtaking on the left.

This illegal maneuver put him in a position where the car driver did not expect him to appear had he been aware of what was behind him.

The car driver's offences, Section 44 no indicator, and clearly not checking his mirror before making the maneuver.

There are other offences that committed that I would consider unreasonable but a belligerent policeman might try to pursue.

For riders out there, be aware lane splitting is not legal in Thailand, you have to be in a designated lane.  You can only overtake on the right except under special circumstances, eg vehicle ahead turning right etc, you must use your indicators when overtaking.

The MG was driving without due care, I don't think it was deliberate, he probably never saw the bike, deliberate actions follow a longer aggressive run up to the accident.