So I employed a Thai plumber ...

Crossy

As far as I can gather from experience here that there are no "plumbers", only handymen that think (that is too strong a word) they know what they are doing. An extension 4 years ago still has problems in the new bathrooms.

A recent upgrade of the original bathrooms led to water leaks in the wall (though this was probably due to the original construction) and a new vanity that is not secured to the wall so moves if I lean on it, and the tap (faucet for the Americans) twists when turning off and on.

In younger times I would have fixed all these things myself but as you noted the body is not what it used to be.

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

So, they went and got a replacement.

It seems Thaiwatsadu wouldn't replace it as faulty, it's not clear why.

Who paid for the new tap  if the "unnamed" company  would not replace it ?

Edited by johng
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have lived in Thailand for more than thirty years and consider myself to be extremely blessed to have never had to endure all of the horror stories I continually read about on this forum.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, CM Dad said:

I have lived in Thailand for more than thirty years and consider myself to be extremely blessed to have never had to endure all of the horror stories I continually read about on this forum.

Famous last words :whistling:

• Haha 2

I have lived here 15 years and always rent but when there is an issue or repair needed I do it myself, it is quicker and less stressful.

The alternative is wait at home for hours before the repairer turns up (usually 2 or 3 for a one man job), watch horrified at the lack of even a rudimentary tool kit.  They never stock anything so always have to disappear to buy whatever they need.  Then when they have finished clean up after them, they always assume we have a maid. 

Then wait for the repair to fail and do it properly anyway.

'Electricians' are worse than plumbers and, of course, dangerous.  RCD? What is that?  Metal wall light needs an earth, Why?  Ditto water pump.  Why use a junction box when you can just twist the wires together and wrap it in crappy tape.

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

On my first little hotel build in Phuket, I let my Thai brother-in-law do the blue plastic pipe plumbing for cold water, (the glued type of fixings).  He did the work, and then laid down the concrete floor and tiling over the pipes. 

Of course, months later it all started to leak, because he hadn't bothered to clean the pipe joints before applying the glue.... out with the jackhammer, break up the floors, replace the piping myself..

After that for my next hotels, I made sure that no water pipes went under the floors.  I designed the bathrooms so that all water connections for shower, toilet and washbasin came through the outside wall 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The heating element in my immersion heater recently burnt out.

Called the manufacturer to send a tech to fit a new one. The last ones did a good job three or four years ago. Four years isn't long, but I figure that's another problem caused by the dirty power supply we have here. Surges, regular brown outs and black outs.

Anyway. New lot (3) turned up, disconnected the power, then told me they would have to disconnect the whole thing and take it back to their workshop to repair as there was limited space underneath to do said repair. they said it would take three or four days.

Now this immersion heater is about 4' tall and about 18" diameter. Bolted to the wall with piping connected. Must weigh a fair bit.

I had visions of the damage caused by disconnecting and removing the whole thing for what should be a one or two hour job.

I told them the last guys did it in situ, but they were adamant, giving all sorts of excuses.  In the end I told them to give me the parts, I would do the repair myself, and they could return and reconnect the electrics.

Had to sign a disclaimer, and off they went.

Two hours later had removed the element, cleaned the interior, refitted new one and refilled with water.

Called the guys to come and reconnect. Answer: Cannot come today (Friday) will come on Monday. So I had no hot water all weekend. I know SFA about electrics.

Edited by phetphet
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1