So I employed a Thai plumber ...

Crossy

As far as I can gather from experience here that there are no "plumbers", only handymen that think (that is too strong a word) they know what they are doing. An extension 4 years ago still has problems in the new bathrooms.

A recent upgrade of the original bathrooms led to water leaks in the wall (though this was probably due to the original construction) and a new vanity that is not secured to the wall so moves if I lean on it, and the tap (faucet for the Americans) twists when turning off and on.

In younger times I would have fixed all these things myself but as you noted the body is not what it used to be.

• Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Crossy said:

So, they went and got a replacement.

It seems Thaiwatsadu wouldn't replace it as faulty, it's not clear why.

Who paid for the new tap  if the "unnamed" company  would not replace it ?

Edited by johng
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

As far as I can gather from experience here that there are no "plumbers", only handymen that think (that is too strong a word) they know what they are doing.

That is not true. 
There are tradesmen that specialize in plumbing.

But handymen will also take on the job. 

https://www.phuketplumbers.com/en/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MalcolmB said:

That is not true. 
There are tradesmen that specialize in plumbing.

But handymen will also take on the job. 

https://www.phuketplumbers.com/en/

Thanks for that information. Do you think they will come to Khao Kho to fit a tap correctly. How much do you think they will charge.

there are trained, experienced, reliable and competent plumbers in thailand, the knack is sorting the wheat from the chaff. this would be fairly easy back home, but potentially more difficult here, depending on your awareness of thai language and culture.  though, as a local, your thai partner really should be able to find an appropriate tradesman/woman. i mean, if you were back home and needed a plumber you would't expect your thai partner to find one, you'd do it yourself because the understand what's going on!

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

4 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

Thanks for that information. Do you think they will come to Khao Kho to fit a tap correctly. How much do you think they will charge.

No.

For petchabun try these

https://www.facebook.com/p/เพชรบูรณ์-ช่างไฟฟ้า-ช่างประปา-ทำฝ้าเพดาน-ติดปั้มน้ำ-อุปกรณ์ไฟฟ้า-100069689742666/

• Confused 1

In my 13 years coming to Thailand and 7 years residing here, and me and my business partners 11 years of hiring local Thai ‘tradesmen’ we both still have zero names on our ‘would use again list’. Zero

There is not one genuinely competent tradesman that I’ve ever come across. I can’t even get people to turn up on time when I tell them I’ll pay double or more if they come asap 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/16/2024 at 4:13 PM, simon43 said:

On my first little hotel build in Phuket, I let my Thai brother-in-law do the blue plastic pipe plumbing for cold water, (the glued type of fixings).  He did the work, and then laid down the concrete floor and tiling over the pipes. 

Of course, months later it all started to leak, because he hadn't bothered to clean the pipe joints before applying the glue.... out with the jackhammer, break up the floors, replace the piping myself..

After that for my next hotels, I made sure that no water pipes went under the floors.  I designed the bathrooms so that all water connections for shower, toilet and washbasin came through the outside wall 🙂

We had pipes put below the flooring. I would not do it again. Despite that I H*TE seeing the plumbing on the walls, I would now run the pvc pipes from the outside to inside the house where they're needed, lie Simon says (ha, no pun intended, but accepted!). Find some way to conceal them while still be able to get at them. Oh, have a AAC block with concrete skim all around. Pipes in cement are dependent on the stability of the earth below and the foundation that's sitting on it. If either shift or crack, then pipes go with them. Copper would be the only way to go then and I would not do that in Thailand, given the roulette wheel of getting a contractor that knows what they're doing.

1 hour ago, MadMuhammad said:

In my 13 years coming to Thailand and 7 years residing here, and me and my business partners 11 years of hiring local Thai ‘tradesmen’ we both still have zero names on our ‘would use again list’. Zero

There is not one genuinely competent tradesman that I’ve ever come across. I can’t even get people to turn up on time when I tell them I’ll pay double or more if they come asap 

We've had 2 contractors we would use again - our *2nd* electrician and the team that installed all of our fiber cement soffits and ceilings. Excellent.

• Like 1

A MUST HAVE for any plumbing work. Buy a bunch of them and give them to your "plumbers" - whether they would use it or not is another matter. I daydream about starting a company where all we do is go around to public bathrooms at gas stations and businesses and homes and we tighten their sink faucets. Anyone want to jump in with me? We'll make a fortune! 🤣

61gOiMAaFrL.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, LAtoBangkok said:

A MUST HAVE for any plumbing work. Buy a bunch of them and give them to your "plumbers" - whether they would use it or not is another matter. I daydream about starting a company where all we do is go around to public bathrooms at gas stations and businesses and homes and we tighten their sink faucets. Anyone want to jump in with me? We'll make a fortune! 🤣

61gOiMAaFrL.jpg

Bought one of them and it doesn't fit the bolt on the kitchen sink taps, way too big.

On 10/16/2024 at 4:07 PM, Mises said:

Electricians' are worse than plumbers and, of course, dangerous.  RCD? What is that?  Metal wall light needs an earth, Why?  Ditto water pump.  Why use a junction box when you can just twist the wires together and wrap it in crappy tape.

And the best one, why do you need the shower instant hot water heater to be earthed???

On 10/15/2024 at 7:40 PM, GreasyFingers said:

As far as I can gather from experience here that there are no "plumbers", only handymen that think (that is too strong a word) they know what they are doing. An extension 4 years ago still has problems in the new bathrooms.

A recent upgrade of the original bathrooms led to water leaks in the wall (though this was probably due to the original construction) and a new vanity that is not secured to the wall so moves if I lean on it, and the tap (faucet for the Americans) twists when turning off and on.

In younger times I would have fixed all these things myself but as you noted the body is not what it used to be.

Just for the record, as one is here fitting out my bathrooms and tank room. The non-existent plumber is a bit of a myth. 

They do exist, most work in hotels or industry. My guy has been with us since the footings, planning and advising. The issue is there are no trade schools that teach plumbing, and they aren’t cheap to employ, it’s easier for a contractor to throw a handyman at the job and tell you they don’t exist in Thailand instead of doing a vented system. Even SCG have basic diagrams on their site. My man learned on the job, working in Dubai, then hotels in Bangkok - not only does he understand pipes, but also bathroom construction - putting in metal braces for floating sinks, etc

He comes from Khon Kaen but seems to spend a lot of time rolling out private villages in Chiang Mai, he won’t travel to Bangkok - anyone can DM for his number. Another thing about my guy, he’s the only tradesman that does the job, finishes and then after a couple of days rings and asks if everything is ok and can he send the bill - every other “trade” generally wants paying on the morning of the last day, before finishing. 

Edited by recom273