Phuket taxi driver hits foreign man on airport zebra crossing

snoop1130

2 hours ago, rubyjuan said:

Imagine If a foreign driver hit a Thai?  

Tbh and unbiased without a forward facing camera in car that's recording if pedestrians were at fault you would be flcucked 

“Safety” sadly is not uppermost in the minds of the Government or the people in Thailand.

Tourists should be warned of that but some like those who hire motorcycles would ride without helmets! As one example.

parents drive kids on their motorcycles without any protection! I know poverty is a factor but to put your child’s life at risk speaks volumes and should alert us to the fact that any industry or workplace does not implement and monitor health and safety.

all should be educated, drivers and pedestrians. I won’t step on a zebra unless the driver looks like stopping! We are responsible for taking our own safety into consideration. Having said that prosecution for the driver for failing to stop, should be automatic!

• Love It 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There must be a deterrent, there must be a reason for people to stop beyond courtesy, beyond respect, beyond doing it because it's the right thing to do. There has to be a threat of huge fines, or prison time, or confiscation of the vehicle. Somebody needs to step up and take charge and take care of this problem, or it will simply continue for decades into the future. 

nah the rich like to be above the law... red bull killer...

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

In the UK if a pedestrian is stood waiting to cross, you must by law stop for them. In Thailand, you should cross anywhere BUT a zebra crossing, because even if someone stops for you, pound to a penny that another vehicle will ignore the light and pass him. 

2 hours ago, rubyjuan said:

Imagine If a foreign driver hit a Thai?  

1 minute ago, Tazmo said:

“Safety” sadly is not uppermost in the minds of the Government or the people in Thailand.

Tourists should be warned of that but some like those who hire motorcycles would ride without helmets! As one example.

parents drive kids on their motorcycles without any protection! I know poverty is a factor but to put your child’s life at risk speaks volumes and should alert us to the fact that any industry or workplace does not implement and monitor health and safety.

all should be educated, drivers and pedestrians. I won’t step on a zebra unless the driver looks like stopping! We are responsible for taking our own safety into consideration. Having said that prosecution for the driver for failing to stop, should be automatic!

I've often thought about all the things you say , my conclusion is they are not afraid to die as rebirth seems a good idea 

And the great irony of this is that all drivers anywhere are themselves pedestrians when not in their vehicle. 

Perhaps we are talking Jekyll and Hyde syndrome here. 

Edited by ChrisKC
Typo

Just now, brianthainess said:

Do they have a pedestrian crossing, on the Thai driving test where they have to stop ?

Rhetorical question I think.

Just now, brianthainess said:

Do they have a pedestrian crossing, on the Thai driving test where they have to stop ?

Rhetorical question I think.

Only if it's a question to pass the test online in test centre zebra crossing are few and far between so to go past one on a driving test would be unlucky 

I've made it a habit of kicking car doors when they try to drive through the Zebra crossing with me in it, that and smacking their mirrors seems to get their attention. So, I am doing my part, I pity the Thai who actually gathers the courage to exit his car and confront me, I call it self-defense.

1 minute ago, Judum said:

Only if it's a question to pass the test online in test centre zebra crossing are few and far between so to go past one on a driving test would be unlucky 

I Was talking of the Thai driving test at the LTO, they don't even go on the road, only a driving school will take you on the road, NOT the at the Land Transport Office. Seem you don't know how the 'tests' are done here.

• Agree 1

I was wondering what would be the 'Legal' standpoint here on Koh Chang would be, where not one crossing on the whole island has a sign to say there is a crossing, just some faded white paint barely visible, especially in the rain.

3 hours ago, Judum said:

Feel very sorry for the pedestrian involved and driver should be jailed without a doubt and pay compensation for the man's emotional loss and pain , I'm a driver myself and like to remind citizens that you cross the road when the vehicle stops for you,  otherwise this happens pedestrians have right of way when on the crossing, in uk some crazy laws came about where citizens think they are superman or woman forcing drivers to stop even buses they need to be educated pedestrians need to be educated again or should not be so disrespectful by forcing drivers to stop 

The UK law for a vehicle to stop is one foot on the crossing and wait for traffic to stop.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

before crossing any road,  I was always taught to look right, then left, then right again .....  and if it's clear then hurry across. 

did the pedestrian rush out when traffic was flowing  ?

did the taxi rush through and didn't see him on the crossing  ?

Did you take the time to look at the photograph in the OP?

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I Was talking of the Thai driving test at the LTO, they don't even go on the road, only a driving school will take you on the road, NOT the at the Land Transport Office. Seem you don't know how the 'tests' are done here.

I passed my test in 2005 in Thailand chonburi,  I'm sure they took Me out on the road , 50 50 sure, but motorbikes no just stayed on premises 

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Above is the reaction from citizens of the country! Still they can´t fix the problem. Totally useless authorities and leaders in this country.

Why would the self-serving elite bother thinknig of solving such peasant's problem. Walking??? that’s for the lower class.
And please, it’s not just taxis.  Luxury cars will gleefully speed up at the sight of a mere peasant daring to cross the road 30 meters ahead.
How dare they disrupt me...
By the way, zebra is a very rare species, you don't see many of them in Thailand....

• Thumbs Up 2

13 hours ago, Gottfrid said:

Above is the reaction from citizens of the country! Still they can´t fix the problem. Totally useless authorities and leaders in this country.

Why would the self-serving elite bother thinknig of solving such peasant's problem. Walking??? that’s for the lower class.
And please, it’s not just taxis.  Luxury cars will gleefully speed up at the sight of a mere peasant daring to cross the road 30 meters ahead.
By the way, zebra is a very rare species, you don't see many of them in Thailand....

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

In the UK if a pedestrian is stood waiting to cross, you must by law stop for them. In Thailand, you should cross anywhere BUT a zebra crossing, because even if someone stops for you, pound to a penny that another vehicle will ignore the light and pass him. 

They must have one foot on the crossing legally, not just standing there. but most would stop. 

• Love It 1

4 minutes ago, Judum said:

I passed my test in 2005 in Thailand chonburi,  I'm sure they took Me out on the road , 50 50 sure, but motorbikes no just stayed on premises 

You must have gone to a School, the LTO NEVER go on a real road even with a car.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, catch104 said:

I put a nice dent in the side of a black BMW suv with my daughters school bags wheels once while 2/3's of the way across a Zebra crossing, they learn, they just learn the hard way 😉

3 hours ago, steven100 said:

Welcome to Phuket ....   we hope you'll enjoy our warm hospitality and wonderful taxis service. 😂

.......and now go "fund" yourself  😁

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

You must have gone to a School, the LTO NEVER go on a real road even with a car.

I think they might of done really can't remember strange I drove my own car there was not with driving school I'm surprised can't remember I was really happy got my Thai drivers licence so could be legally legal in all manners 

59 minutes ago, recom273 said:

The whole system is messed up, just by painting a few lines down, can’t make people stop. It’s probably not true in this instance, but zebras have no place on a 6 lane major route to a city center. They are for low traffic / speed restricted areas, otherwise pelican crossings with control light should be used. These are also ignored.

I have experienced young people just walking out into the road, and expecting the drivers to stop - the right of way is not for the pedestrian. If the driver can stop in a safe manner, then they are obliged to, often here there is an idiot rider or driver sitting behind, the speeds on some roads do not allow for safe stopping.

When I was at school in the UK, we were taught how to use zebras, you don’t just walk out onto the crossing as I have seen local kids here do. 

This country needs a system of education and enforcement or nothing will change, however we should be careful what we wish for, does anyone want 5km/h speed limits in residential areas in Thailand. 

So true we'll done but I would say UK needs to pass a law for citizens who create crashes accidents via carelessly not give a damn a d just stepping out and arguing,  but here they will soon do something about it

1 minute ago, Judum said:

I think they might of done really can't remember strange I drove my own car there was not with driving school I'm surprised can't remember I was really happy got my Thai drivers licence so could be legally legal in all manners 

I would say most of us just transferred our foreign drivers license to Thai Drivers licenses, I did so for both my USA Vehicle license and Motorcycle license. Though I had extensive drivers training already back home, including the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) courses. I also read up thoroughly on the Thai Traffic Act, which isn't much different from laws back home, but you'll find Thai drivers have very little understanding of their own laws/rules (ignorance is bliss I guess).

Very few Thais are taught to drive correctly. Just jump in a friend's car for a quick spin around the block and shown what's what.

Not spatial awareness, manoeuvring, rules of the road, or when to give way. Add to that the total lack of police enforcement, the me, me , me attitude, and small dick big pick up truck way of thinking and you see what we get.

Add in one more for the taxi and minibus drivers, i.e. The fear of missing a fare (flight or boat arrivals) and you get the crazy rush to either pick up points.

The amount of Thais on motorbikes that  pull out without ever looking to see if anything is coming has got me wondering if their Buddhist belief in reincarnation has taken away any fear of death. 

• Agree 1