Toyota Halts Its Sale Of Hilux Pick-up

Edorf

According to Aftenposten, the most most well respected and one of the largest newspapers in Norway, Toyota has decided to halt its sale of the Hilux pick-up truck w/16" wheels due to the recent testing of the vehicle by the renowned Swedish car magazine Teknikens Värld. Toyota will now perform their own testing before they start selling the vehicle again.

It is not clear from reading the article if the halt is world-wide or only in Europe.

Here is a link to the article (in Norwegian): http://forbruker.no/bil/nyheter/article2098874.ece

Edited by Edorf

Why all of a sudden so many problems with Hilux vigo? I've the 4x4 dualcab with the 16" rim, similar to one tested and fail, from now on I'm worry everytime I drive. Do you think I need to change my suspension, if so which is suitable or how I really don't know and I've got issue as to how many psi for the tires. I been told many times that the rear ones should have five psi more than the 2 fronts. My truck is usually passenger going only seldom use the load bed. I felt it's bumpy or maybe it's just me? Any advice, thanks.

Why all of a sudden so many problems with Hilux vigo? I've the 4x4 dualcab with the 16" rim, similar to one tested and fail, from now on I'm worry everytime I drive. Do you think I need to change my suspension, if so which is suitable or how I really don't know and I've got issue as to how many psi for the tires. I been told many times that the rear ones should have five psi more than the 2 fronts. My truck is usually passenger going only seldom use the load bed. I felt it's bumpy or maybe it's just me? Any advice, thanks.

Just drive sensibly and you should have no problems. No need to modify anything. Stick to the manufacturer's specs for tyre pressure, laden and unladen.

I went to a rural temple yesterday in my Vigo two young men looks like the local folks pointing at my truck talking about hilux rejected by overseas market for being not safe, really didn’t expect news to spread so fast I think big chance for Isuzu and Mitsubishi now, I quickly drove away.

It hasn't been reported in local English media. Maybe Thai auto journals picked up the story.

Big big test for Toyota. Perception like this is difficult to overcome until they can pass with colors.

The source of the problem is mysterious, though. Is it a design flaw? Did Thai based designers overlook it? Did they do they local test "Thai" style - nobody fails?

Also had a friend who runs a minivan to Malaysia daily told me over there people don’t quite support Hilux from the beginning due to the models being offered without the intercooler and after market suspension seem to be popular there they expect sedan-like and news of the Hilux’s failure sure gonna favor Triton , already Triton vs Hilux all the while there. Let’s wait and see what Toyota Thailand got to say, a product of Thailand you know, a test conducted not long ago declare Hilux winner in the Bangkok Post, after all the promotions and advertisement sure tarnish image. Think Toyota large this time. Cannot get away with the usual “duang mai dee “ ( bad luck ) concept . Also has to provide a solution for those 4X4 Vigo sold both locally and overseas. Cannot let a mortally dangerous vehicle roaming around.