Anyone Know Anything About The Yamaha Tzm/tzr, And Other 2 Strokes Available In Los?

submaniac

Hi folks,

I picked up a 2004 Yamaha TZM 150 cc 2-strokes last week for 12,000 baht from a dealer. My parent's have a house in Bangkok/Thonburi, and I just wanted a CHEAP bike to tool around with until we can get the car situation taken care of. Besides, even with a car, I wanted a motorcycle just to avoid sitting in traffic.Well for 12k baht, the bike was not in real good shape, but put another 2k baht to have everything fixed, and it runs great now.

When I was looking, I wanted a two-stroke bike because of the power they produce, and because they are pretty much verboten in the rest of the world, especially the states. (In California, they are busting down on the 2 strokes that people are using on their OFF ROAD dirtbikes). I was originally looking for the NSR, but then I saw the TZM. I thought it looked really cool (better looking than the NSR or CBR) because it actually looked like a real sportbike rather than a sportbike scooter hybrid. And for the price, well I had to go for it.

Now that I have the TZM I absolutely love it. I grew up on small displacement 2 stroke dirtbikes, and definately appreciate the power those things can put out. But I just can't find much information on the TZM.

Specifically, what is the standard horsepower that it came with from the factory? And what kind of performance mods can be done to it? I have been searching the web and have found numerous owners who have reported tweaking their bikes and being able to go up to 200 kph. I was just wondering what parts I need.

And for the TZR, what is the difference between the models? As I understand it, the TZM is 150cc and the TZR is 250cc. 250cc in a two strokes sounds like a real powerful bike.

Are the TZR's and TZM's even manufactured any more? The dealer I went to appeared to have a whole bunch of those bikes brand new. And in the LOS, what two stroke small displacement bikes are even available anymore? I have heard that the 2 strokes were being banned by the government. If I want to get another 2 stroke (sportbike style), what other options are available?

Thanks for the help.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello :o

I'm a two-stroke rider by passion, too :D got myself a poor little heap of junk in 2005 and transformed that into a Yamaha RXZ again, which during the last two years has done 26.000 kilometers without noteworthy problems and is now nicknamed "Bulldozer". I paid initially 5.000 Baht for it but it WAS junk - nothing worked except the engine, extremely poor condition etc.

The bike is a 135cc two-stroke, according to Wikipedia has 20 HP and it runs over 150 km/h with engine completely stock. Actually it was faster with the previous exhaust system (the current one is from a way older RXZ version) but i like this one more for it's gentle sound - i HATE loud exhausts on two-stroke machines.

My RXZ is made in Thailand and year 1994. I believe those have been made in Thailand until 1995 which was the end of the RXZ here - yet Yamaha CONTINUES MAKING THEM TILL TODAY and they are available in Japan and Malaysia, in the latter they are even extremely popular, particularly among the "Mat Rempit" (street racers).

If you want an RXZ, good luck finding a good one - they are mostly (ab)used for hauling gas bottles or other heavy stuff due to their very good torque in lower rpm's - something the "Zeck" is known for. Very few in mint condition on the road, yet RXZ's do last for ever, see pic attached (that's one in my soi, and that one is in rather good condition, being driven daily with an owner who cares for his machine). He won't sell - i asked him just yesterday! But neither would i (mine is the second pic).

Best regards from a fellow two-banger......

Thanh

post-13387-1200885193_thumb.jpg

post-13387-1200885217_thumb.jpg

Hello.

I don't think that that will really become an issue in the near future - too many cars out there are unable to run on gasohol, too. And the government won't make the "normal petrol" disappear as long as there is such a large amount of cars which won't take the stuff.

Apart from that, i do believe that the time in which the ethanol and the two-stroke oil face each other (only during the inlet phase) is long enough for the ethanol to dissolve the oil - two-strokes nowadays don't need pre-mix anymore, instead they're autolube systems where the oil is injected in the inlet or the carb. You fill the tank with pure petrol too.

(In Germany i used to burn old paint thinner - which is quite pure ethanol - in my two-stroke mopeds and didn't have much of a problem with that stuff either, even tough it was pre-mix. Just that then power was less and the exhaust smelled funky).

Best regards....

Thanh

The Minister of Energy did an about face on his earlier statement that "petrol would be available as long as there were vehicles incapable of running on Gasohol. The latest statement a couple of weeks ago, was that both petrol 95 and 91 would be replaced by gasohol.

Do not expect any different policy from the new Minister as their buddies own the ethanol plants and have surplus capacity as it is with new plants coming on line.

For example <deleted> is there E-20 for sale when E-20 cars are just now being introduced

In any case I do not know enough about ethanol and 2 strokes hence my question. Injection concurrently with the fuel makes sense for compatility and I would like to know more.

I am really not that concerned about the availability of fuel. My feelings are the same as when they replaced leaded gas with unleaded gas in the states...the leaded vehicles still worked on unleaded.

As for the gasohol, 1) the purchase price of the bike is not worth me even worrying about it (oh well, I lose $300) 2) I do not actually believe gasohol and 2 strokes are incompatibility--see Thanh's post which is how I understood it to work as well 3) I think if there is a demand for Petrol it will still be available--albeit more expensively, but for a motorbike the cost of fuel/amount used is negligible compared to a car 4) if there is a problem with Gasohol, I would think some major company would introduce 2 stroke oil which will not be affected by gasohol.

I don't see the point of worrying about the gasohol issue so early. I mean, if you are worried why buy any vehicle based upon petroleum or gasohol as we will eventually switch to hydrogen, electric, and solar powered vehicles? I would worry about it at a later time. Right now I am just satisfied that I have a bike in Thailand that actually has some power. From what I am reading on the specs, the TZM and NSR's are making high 30's in terms of h.p. Even though the TZM is only 150cc, I absolutely do NOT think it is slow.

Hey Sub,

Good find with the TZM!

I was lucky enough to own an imaculate TZM150 about 5 years ago in Samui and it was without doubt the quickest 150 2 smoke bike I've ever ridden.The YPVS system is so much better than Hondas RC valve and the sound of the thing was fantastic.

I owned an NSR150RR until recently,and although I love Hondas,the Yammy has always been my fave.

Clean TZMs are hard to come by now,so take care of yours if its a good example.

Sky.

BTW.The TZR was only sold in Thailand as a 150cc.The 250s that are around are imports,similar to the NSR250s that I would love to have!

Hey Skyline,

Thanks for the words of encouragement from a fellow TZM lover. "Good example"? Ha! For 12,000 baht, it didn't look to pretty. But I do plan on fixing her up so that she is nice and beautiful. I know people say "buy the nicest example you can find", but I did that with an Acura NSX that I bought from the original owner, a 60 year old doctor, that only put 5000 miles on it per year. A year later the engine blew. So now I would rather buy the cheapest I can buy, and then put the money into fixing it so that I know everything is done right. ANd it's not like I can go buy a new one of these things either.

I also agree with you that the TZM is one hel_l of a fast bike. 150 cc in a regular bike is nothing, but in a 2 stroke the thing flies! I dare say it can run with the Harley I got in the states. And also thanks for clearing up the TZR issue for me. I thought that they all were 250cc's, and was kicking myself for not getting one if they were.

Do you know where to find the specs on the TZM, like weight, horsepower, etc.? The only things I could find are from Malaysia and Singapore, and I can't read it.

Thanks!!!!

• 2 years later...

Of all the forums I've skimmed you were the first person who seemed to have any knowledge on the TZR 150. I have been searching online and I can hardly find anything. There is a wealth of 411 on the 125, 250 or TZM 150 but not the TZR 150. When I rebuilt my NSR last year 411 was bountiful along with fairings and mods.

I can't find any manuals for service or parts and the Yamaha website is useless. I am picking it up on Monday for 5000 thb. The 2 stroke is solid but there is quite a bit of work to do both aesthetically and operationally but I can't find any information, and since the NSR was my first rebuild I definitely need documentation for this one .

Could you possibly assist me, where to go either online or in BKK for information, fairings and parts? I was wondering if, obviously besides the engine all the specs would be the same as the 125 or 250?

I would really appreciate any help you could give. Thanks.

Hey Sub,

Good find with the TZM!

I was lucky enough to own an imaculate TZM150 about 5 years ago in Samui and it was without doubt the quickest 150 2 smoke bike I've ever ridden.The YPVS system is so much better than Hondas RC valve and the sound of the thing was fantastic.

I owned an NSR150RR until recently,and although I love Hondas,the Yammy has always been my fave.

Clean TZMs are hard to come by now,so take care of yours if its a good example.

Sky.

BTW.The TZR was only sold in Thailand as a 150cc.The 250s that are around are imports,similar to the NSR250s that I would love to have!

I replied to your PM.

TZR150=TZM150 with smaller frame. CDI might be different to give better performance, etc. I think this was Yamahas answer to the Honda NSR. TZR/VRR/TZM same family. Differences on frame/cylinder (VRR no power valve)/exhaust/etc. Many more TZR/VRRs about than TZMs. Easy to fix, uses many common parts with other Thai Yamahas, so cheap parts. Can be fixed anywhere in Thailand. Bargain bike, if you don't mind 2 stroke and ancient styling. Mine TZR has a VRR headlight/fairing which makes it look a bit more modern.

There is definitly a market for modern fairings for these older bikes which would give them a new lease of life. Anyone know where you can buy these?

The CDI for the tzr and tzm are the same.

The downfall of the tzm is the inner water pump seal, when it goes you get water in the crankcase, and oil in the cooling system...the radiator will look like yogurt and the oil window will look like strawberry milk.

You have to turn the gas off everynight also, park it for more than a week and good luck starting it. This can be solved by putting in a stock jet, most tzm's with starting problems have to big a jet installed, but its way faster with the bigger jet.

The cylinder head uses an o-ring that should be changed if its over 10 years old. It contributes to the starting problem. best sprocket ratio is 14/47

I went looking for a CBR150 in Dec 3rd last year but ended up with this 2-stroke:

dao01.jpg

She's almost ten now, and needs a new coolant tank and some minor repairs, but being a two-stroke, she leaves the CBRs behind at the lights, and that's the safest way to travel on a bike in this fair land. Fast and alone on an empty road, without fateful distractions.

LS125 is a bit of a pocket rocket :)

I had the waterseal fail early on in my ownership, but not to quite the failure you experienced. Again easily (and cheaply) fixed.

Maybe I should swap one of my NSRs for an LS125?

Always look both ways before slipping your clutch at green lights and explode into space like a true nature's child.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone got an address for that place in Thonburi or anywhere else that has new or 'nearly new' TZMs?

I used to run an NSR here in BKK when they first came out and Sukhumvit way down past Paknam was a 160 kph buzz: like getting the shirt torn off your back - just like a Porsche.

But they bogg down badly under 4,000 rpm and they bounce around too much because they're a bit light. Too bad the CBR 150 is so fugly and slow. A good lookin' modern 250 single (Boxers need not apply): I'd like to see that!

As for the TZM, I'll have my ricer SUPERMONO in screaming red. Like the original Yammy stickers say: PURE TWO-STROKE SPIRIT

• 2 weeks later...

I have owned 3 TZR 150s in just on 10 years here. Best deal you can get. Very rapid if you don't mind eating juice. Very easy and cheap to get parts for, esp now, as there are copy parts available at a fraction of the original - eg. CDI unit is just under 3000 baht original, copy 350 baht. Have a copy on mine for a few months now, and it works just fine. Same goes for the body kit. You can get a nice clean TZR here in BKK for 5 to 8000 baht. The only thing that has beaten me in traffic yet was an NSR 400 ridden by another Farang half my age!

• 10 months later...

hi every 1 im from the philippines and i got tzm 150 in a very bad shape there is no cdi, no power valve. and i got powervalve from a dead wr200 engine and now the engine runs with honda c-90 cdi. the problem is where i can buy a stock cdi for this bike or what model that has the same cdi.is tzr 125 cdi the same with tzm 150?pls help

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Yamaha dealer in Khon Kaen has brand new TZM/TZR for sale for about 60k. They've been on his showroom floor since they were manufactured.. about six of them there. He also has a fair stock of parts for this kind of older bike so it might be of help to you.

I'm dismayed but not surprised to hear that there is talk of the horrible gasohol being forced upon us again, as I have several much-loved old two-strokes. No doubt it is this awful government.. keep your fingers crossed, maybe the you-know-whats will roll in the you-know-whats again soon.

Yamaha dealer in Khon Kaen has brand new TZM/TZR for sale for about 60k. They've been on his showroom floor since they were manufactured.. about six of them there. He also has a fair stock of parts for this kind of older bike so it might be of help to you.

I'm dismayed but not surprised to hear that there is talk of the horrible gasohol being forced upon us again, as I have several much-loved old two-strokes. No doubt it is this awful government.. keep your fingers crossed, maybe the you-know-whats will roll in the you-know-whats again soon.

Sounds like a dream come true..... a brand new TZM whoooo

Have to stop myself from jumping in my truck and drive up to there.

Do you have e-mail/telephone number/adress from this dealer???

I seriously interested to pick up one of those ( a TZM)

You know when they where last produced?? they must been in that showroom quite some years.

I seriously interested to pick up one of those ( a TZM)

You know when they where last produced?? they must been in that showroom quite some years.

I don't know but I guess at least ten years. Its a quaint shop - however the phenomenon of a certain type of Chinese Thai shop-owner keeping stock around forever is not unknown. I don't have a number but the location below is I think the right one:

Sure they are new?

There appears to be 5 Yamaha dealers in Khon Kaen. Know which one by any chance?

Yeah I'm sure they are new - I mean, the guy has had them there for years and years, plus he has dozens of other old/new bikes (mostly Tiaras and Mates).

I think this is the location:

http://www.farangfri...City-95399.aspx

Oh and I just remembered - it is directly opposite the well-known farang bar called 'Number One Bar'.

Did some research and it and seems to be really true ( not doubting you Clarequilty)

It is not an official Yamaha dealer but with some phone calls and searching on the internet i found the shops details.

They got several new TZM's ( only asked about this model) in different colors: white, bleu, red and black.price all included ( insurance,liscenseplate) 60.000 thb

They even offering a 2nd hand black one with 600 km's on the clock for 49.000 thb.

Tommorrow i will go check it out there, I HAVE TO SEE THAT SHOWROOM WITH MY OWN EYES.

and problaly will return home with one of those TZM's in the back of the truck ( or at least made a downpayment on one of them)

With those bikes sitting there for years i'm sure some work have to be done on them.

I'm curious they still come with factory warranty.

And also curious what kind of other old/new bikes they have there.

Will make some pics of that showroom and post them here,together with the report of my visit.

Hardly can't wait for tommorrow,still have to pinch myself if i'm not dreaming.

Did some research and it and seems to be really true ( not doubting you Clarequilty)

It is not an official Yamaha dealer but with some phone calls and searching on the internet i found the shops details.

They got several new TZM's ( only asked about this model) in different colors: white, bleu, red and black.price all included ( insurance,liscenseplate) 60.000 thb

They even offering a 2nd hand black one with 600 km's on the clock for 49.000 thb.

Tommorrow i will go check it out there, I HAVE TO SEE THAT SHOWROOM WITH MY OWN EYES.

and problaly will return home with one of those TZM's in the back of the truck ( or at least made a downpayment on one of them)

With those bikes sitting there for years i'm sure some work have to be done on them.

I'm curious they still come with factory warranty.

And also curious what kind of other old/new bikes they have there.

Will make some pics of that showroom and post them here,together with the report of my visit.

Hardly can't wait for tommorrow,still have to pinch myself if i'm not dreaming.

Cool, please please please take many pics....I always wanted the red and white one with black wheels.. :)

I wonder how the internal seals are doing, the water pump shaft is notorious for leaking and causing water to leak into the engine crankcase. The head gasket also uses a rubber o-ring.

I thought they weren't registering new 2 strokes though ? Or maybe that's just if you drop a new 2 stroke engine into an old 2 stroke.

Now just have to find a place to store it until i get back from the states...im waiting anxiously for the pics ! jap.gifjap.gifjap.gifintheclub.gif

Archived