Dpi On Printers

JJDinsay

Purchased an HP2550 laserjet. Max seems to be up to 600 dpi, 2400 dpi if you use special RTE software. Anyway - there does not seem to be a way that will allow for the printing of anything using a different and lower dpi. Client wants to print 10,000 copies (insists on using this printer instead of going to shop) and feels that lowering the dpi from 600 to 300 will save on toner. Used the HP Toolbox utility that came with it but there seems to be no configuration page that will allow for changing the dpi setting. Also cannot do it via the windows driver (Start -> Settings -> Printers and Faxes). If I try Excel and page setup the only choice I have is 600 dpi and nothing else - any ideas?

In this case, lowering the DPI will not decrease toner usage (at least, not by a noticeable amount). It will simply decrease resolution. If you want to decrease toner usage, turn on econo-mode. The driver should have it in the printing preferences/advanced options/printing features/economode. If the option is not there, try changing the driver (the 2550 should be compatible with the 5p/6p built-in driver, which does have the option).

How much does the HP2550 laserjet cost today? And may be you also know the cost of the toner for recharging.

If you want to decrease toner usage, turn on econo-mode.  The driver should have it in the printing preferences/advanced options/printing features/economode.

How many pages could be printed in the econo-mode?

How cost efficient the laserjets comparing to deskjet or inkjet printers?

Any advise on a printer-scanner combo, if available in Thailand.

The 2550 costs around 20,000 baht. However, it's a "workhorse" printer designed to output several thousand pages/month. You can get a pretty good printer for around 10,000 baht now. The cheapest laser (samsung, brother) is around 6,000.

A toner cartridge for a laser printer costs around 3,000-4,000 baht, but can print many thousand pages. The cost per page is around 1-2 baht/page. Cost per page for inkjets is a lot higher.

I don't recommend a multifunction printer. They don't do anything well and can be more trouble than they're worth. Putting all your eggs in one basket can lead to disaster.

Paid 24K for mine from a pretty reputable shop who gives me good prices and they were 5K cheaper than anything in Pantip.

Cartridges go for around 5K

I own a good combon one from HP - the 1200PSC. Scanner works great and prints at a pretty good speed - black and color - paid around 4K baht for it when IT City had a special.

Firefoxx,

You're probably right, "Putting all your eggs in one basket can lead to disaster".

But, when it's all for less than $100, one should think twice.

JJDinsay,

Re: HP PSC 1200 All-in-One

Is it a laserjet? Do you want to sell it?

Well, I've said it before: unless you're really strapped for cash, I strongly advise not getting a multifunction. The real cheap ones are designed for in-home use, so don't even think of using them for SME work that involves hundreds of pages/month.

I've had nothing but bad to awful experiences with multifunction printers, even the more expensive (20k+) ones. Maybe they're good for light home use, but put one in an office environment and it goes to pieces quickly.