Leather Seats Yuk!

Rimmer

Anyone else hate leather seats as much as I do?

IMHO it makes no sense at all to fit leather in a hot climate unless one is riding the range and jumping in and out of the pick up truck with branding irons and cowboy boots all over the seats.

My new CRV has leather which I believe must have come from the oldest buffalo in country. hard, hot and generally uncomfortable.

My old CRV which I still have has cloth seats and is much more comfortable and far less hot for this reason the old one is used every day and the new one still has only 3000km on it after six months, what a waste.

My older model CRV has leather seats and I like them fine. They are clean and soft - never hot and uncomfortable.

Do you use the car's air-conditioning? Why would leather seats be any hotter than fabric material? Is the interior and seat colour black? Maybe that is the reason your interior is so hot and uncomfortable.

Edited by NotNew2You

The seats are just one issue with this car. IMHO the new model CRV has been value engineered down to a an unacceptable level considering the high cost of the vehicle, but given the very limited products available in the market is is about the best of a sad bunch.

IMHO it makes no sense at all to fit leather in a hot climate unless one is riding the range and jumping in and out of the pick up truck with branding irons and cowboy boots all over the seats.

My new CRV has leather which I believe must have come from the oldest buffalo in country. hard, hot and generally uncomfortable.

My old CRV which I still have has cloth seats and is much more comfortable and far less hot for this reason the old one is used every day and the new one still has only 3000km on it after six months, what a waste.

All leathers are not created equal, for sure. Poor quality leather will be hard, non-durable, usually will not be "fully vat-dyed" (resulting in the color wearing off with time), and will not have the great "aroma" of a quality leather. Many claim leather is more temperature comfortable because it absorbs the body heat, unlike vinyl which does not breathe and can leave one literally sitting in a pool of perspiration (but vinyl lasts longer).

I have owned many cars (in the USA) with leather interiors and have loved them all. Jaguar uses (or at least previously used, hope they still do) English Connolly leather which is fully vat-dyed, lovely soft and with the great rich aroma of fine leather. I believe Rolls Royce also uses Connolly but must be of a higher grade because it is awesome! Leather seats are easy to slip into and out of, not binding as cloth is. My only complaint, though very minor, is that leather seats are freezing cold in the Michigan winters. In about a month I will be getting my first new car, a Toyota Altis, here in Thailand and it has leather seats. I hope I will also be happy with them here in the LOS and don't regret this choice due to the tropical climate (actually though, many higher priced models offer only leather).

Edited by Lopburi99

I have leather in my Ford Focus. The seats are really really comfortable and i will always chose leather in the future. The only problem i have is that the colour is light beige and need to be cleaned often but that's a small price to pay for comfort. Sweat can be wiped off of leather, (although my AC is always on so i don't get sweaty), with fabric seats the sweat soaks in. Yukkk!

i hate them too but wife insisted on them :o in all my life i owned only one car with (porous and airconditioned) leather seats which were even more comfortable than the best fabric.

Do you use the car's air-conditioning? Why would leather seats be any hotter than fabric material? Is the interior and seat colour black? Maybe that is the reason your interior is so hot and uncomfortable.

leather seats are not hotter but one gets a wet behind and back and that on the lowest aircon setting.

I hate leather seats for two reasons....

Firstly, you slide about on them, even in a seat belt. I like to be held in place when I drive and sliding from side to side or shifting my spine on a long journey just isn't ergonomically sensible.

Secondly is the sticky/sweaty factor - especially in this country.

Edited by kedawi

• 3 months later...
I bought a Yaris G Ltd with leather seats

I used a lighter to check the leather

the leather melted under flame

Toyota is ignoring my calls!

That is A M A Z I N G did you see post number 11 by tartempion? wonder if his friends Yaris seats are real leather.

Dont forget in Thailand many dealers will take your money for legit leather, then run the seats round to the corner shop seat coverer to lay on el cheapo leather or even vinyl and pocket the upgrade difference. A buddy had fake / pattern aftermarlet bits added after he paid full price for main dealer new upgrades.

Dont forget your in asia folks.. Trust no one.