Kawasaki Er6n

12DrinkMore

I just came back from Chiang Mai (to BKK), where I picked my Black ER6N, put it on the train and about 15 hours later - no idea why they call it the special express, I'm fighting traffic on it :)

The guys at Rama 9 told me to wait 3 months, Chiang Mai - 2 weeks but no delivery.

BTW,

As i never rode a bike bigger then 500cc before, any special thumb rules regrading heat, cpm, etc?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I guess I like it because I'm a fan of the Street Triple, which I think is one of the best looking bikes ever. So I'm jaded.

Triumph-Street-Triple-15th-anniversary.jpg

The bike above is the Speed Triple NOT the Street Triple hence the single sided swing arm..... but all the same an awesome bike !!

Thanks Rickster, my mistake.

I stopped by the Chiang Mai Dealer today and was surprised to find that they are now carrying the Puig Windscreen. I took a few pics of it on the demo bike. They are asking way too much though, 6,500 baht.

cimg3771.jpg

cimg3772b.jpg

cimg3774.jpg

cimg3775h.jpg

cimg3776.jpg

cimg3777.jpg

cimg3773.jpg

I took a different approach. I bought the GIVI screen for the Z1000 from TwistedThrottle.com and am having a mount fabricated for it as I write this. Hopefully it'll be done in the next few days, and if it's not so bad looking that I'm embarrassed I'll post some pics. I'll post the cost break down too when it's all totalled up.

cimg3771.jpg

I noticed the 91 octane label on the fuel tank. Thats typical US/Calif/Asia spec. Anyone tried to adjust ECU, ignitiontiming or powercommander to run on 95? Should return at least 7%, sometimes 10%, more power. Anyone know if it runs on 95 or even 98 in Europe? Same hp in Calif and Europe?

I stopped by the Chiang Mai Dealer today and was surprised to find that they are now carrying the Puig Windscreen. I took a few pics of it on the demo bike. They are asking way too much though, 6,500 baht.

Well, it's a windscreen. Doesn't look tooooo bad in the photos. Maybe with a lowered handlebar it'll keep the bugs off my chest.

How was it quality-wise?

cimg3771.jpg

I noticed the 91 octane label on the fuel tank. Thats typical US/Calif/Asia spec. Anyone tried to adjust ECU, ignitiontiming or powercommander to run on 95? Should return at least 7%, sometimes 10%, more power. Anyone know if it runs on 95 or even 98 in Europe? Same hp in Calif and Europe?

Interesting screen, but the way the bracket is mounted to the bike at only two points with 10mm bolts seems very weak...

All of the ER6's / Ninja 650R's come with that 91 sticker. (As did my Ninja 250R)

The Thai bikes get a Thai sticker, the export bikes get stickers in the languages of the destination countries. (You can't see the fine print in the pic above where it says E10 compliant).

Running 95 octane in an engine designed to run on 91 Octane will not damage the engine but you won't derive any benefit from the higher octane if you don't re-map the fuel injection and or modify the ignition control for higher octane fuel.

180$US? That's outrageous! The Puig Smoke for my Ducati 848 was 66$US + 20$US shipping from Performance Motosports on eBay.

For a piece-of-shit ER6N, it should only be about 5$US!  :)

For the humour-challenged on the board, of whom I've found (to my chagrin) there are a few, that last bit was a joke.  :D

cimg3771.jpg
What an absolutely awful windscreen! Looks like the throwaway box from a microwave meal.  :D Edited by RusticCharm

Well, it's a windscreen. Doesn't look tooooo bad in the photos. Maybe with a lowered handlebar it'll keep the bugs off my chest.

How was it quality-wise?

It was solid. It's mounted to those two little bolts hidden down behind the headlight, which don't seem like the strongest, but it didn't budge much when I started pushing and tugging on it. Plus it's so small I don't think it needs to be that strong. Just wish it was a little bigger and a lot cheaper. I'd expect it to be around 4000, but 6,500 just seems like too much. I ordered the Z1000 screen on the internet for about 3000, not including shipping and customs ripping me off. Still well below 6,500 though.

Just to put it in perspective, I went in today to ask about ordering a second seat. I added padding to my stock seat for long tours but want a small seat for when I go play in the twisties. A brand new seat is 1,400 baht.

12D, when you started this thread last year, did you ever imagine it would end up being the almost 40 page monster that it is now? I feel like we could bundle it up and publish it as a book. It has all the drama, the highs and lows, the fights, breakups and make ups of a Lakhorn. Remember the time when...

<deleted> it- I'm keepin my naked bike nekkid until someone comes up with a decent looking screen at a reasonable price (the Puig is neither) :D

Ya know- you get used to riding nekkid. First long trip man my neck was sore from being exposed to all that wind. But since then honestly it doesn't bother me anymore. Ask the SSR crew- I cruised along at ~180-200 km/hr from Chiang Rai to Bangkok without complaint. Just make sure you wear earplugs at those speeds! (Or at any speed if you're sporting a TWO BROS!) :)

I reckon I'll have an ER6f before there's a decent screen for the ER6n. Looking forward to seeing Liam's Z1000 Givi screen on his ER6n though- if mounted properly I think that could be a pretty good solution.

The Puig Smoke for my Ducati 848 was 66$US + 20$US shipping from Performance Motosports on eBay.

For a piece-of-shit ER6N, it should only be about 5$US! :)

LOL Terry, well, you can call my ER6n a piece of shit the day you can keep up with me, ok? :D:D:D

Just kiddin'! (Well, kinda...)

Happy Trails!

Tony

cimg3771.jpg

Running 95 octane in an engine designed to run on 91 Octane will not damage the engine but you won't derive any benefit from the higher octane if you don't re-map the fuel injection and or modify the ignition control for higher octane fuel.

I agree. So you guys who currently have ER6n should do that before I get my ER6f!! 7-10% more power from running the cheapest LOS gas, Gasohol 95, is available with a minor adjustment to ECU or ignition. Just a thought from a freerider :):D

Ouch! 6500baht for that! :)

If you want one thats cool, make it yourself! Design it then get a local wood carver to make a plug for you then get the sheet of plastic then heat it up in a house oven, or pizza oven.....anywhere you can get it to soften and form the shape. Get a plastics shop to drill the mounting holes and cut out the shape.....or do it yourself. A metal shop can make the brackets. In fact you could make half a dozen and sell some! In the end it's a free screen for someone and a cheap cool looking screen for the rest.

For the humour-challenged on the board, of whom I've found (to my chagrin) there are a few, that last bit was a joke.
LOL Terry, well, you can call my ER6n a piece of shit the day you can keep up with me, ok?

As I was saying.... :D

:) Just takin' the piss Terry- don't get your panties in a twist :D

Happy Trails!

Ya know- you get used to riding nekkid. First long trip man my neck was sore from being exposed to all that wind. But since then honestly it doesn't bother me anymore. Ask the SSR crew- I cruised along at ~180-200 km/hr from Chiang Rai to Bangkok without complaint. Just make sure you wear earplugs at those speeds! (Or at any speed if you're sporting a TWO BROS!) :)

What I like about naked bikes here is it makes me more concious of my speed.. If I have a sortbike with the air pocket bubble I am more likely to get out and tuck in and start pushing it, its a habit I dont want with the other people (dogs, branches, rocks and sand) on the roads.

BTW,

As i never rode a bike bigger then 500cc before, any special thumb rules regrading heat, cpm, etc?

Congrats! New bike, bit bigger HP and new'n slick tires - be careful during the break in. Too many stories out and around of bikes going down in the first couple hundred km's, and only having rode a ER6n once a felt the front tire (with 150 kms on the clock) was slick under heavy braking.

Cost per mile - depends on your right hand. :)

BTW,

Congrats! New bike, bit bigger HP and new'n slick tires - be careful during the break in. Too many stories out and around of bikes going down in the first couple hundred km's, and only having rode a ER6n once a felt the front tire (with 150 kms on the clock) was slick under heavy braking.

Cost per mile - depends on your right hand. :D

Ah - is that what "cpm" stands for? :)

I average about 17km/litre on my ER6n and I'll let someone else convert that to miles per gallon :D

Personally I also found the stock Dunlop Roadsmart tires rather slick and easy to slide. You should definitely take the bike out to a deserted road or parking lot and test the brakes and practice emergency braking to determine the limits of your tires.

Upgrading the tires to Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pros has greatly improved the handling of my ER6n. Next thing I want to add is a powercommander and steering damper.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Next thing I want to add is a powercommander and steering damper.

You're going to be selling this bike in a few weeks anyway right? I read the other "F" thread! Quit dreaming.

When you go team "F" I don't know if we can be friends anymore.

Next thing I want to add is a powercommander and steering damper.

You're going to be selling this bike in a few weeks anyway right? I read the other "F" thread! Quit dreaming.

When you go team "F" I don't know if we can be friends anymore.

Muahahaha!!!

I think it'll be more than a few weeks before I can pick up my new ER6f, so I'm going to continue to mod my ER6n until the new bike arrives.

Cool thing is that most of the mods I've made and want to make are easily transferable from the n to the f.

Don't worry brah- even when I go "Team f" I'll still let you hang out with me :)

After all, we'll make a good effin team! BeavisButthead.gif

BTW,

I average about 17km/litre on my ER6n and I'll let someone else convert that to miles per gallon :D

39.9864793 miles per gallon.

Personally I also found the stock Dunlop Roadsmart tires rather slick and easy to slide. You should definitely take the bike out to a deserted road or parking lot and test the brakes and practice emergency braking to determine the limits of your tires.

Upgrading the tires to Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa Pros has greatly improved the handling of my ER6n. Next thing I want to add is a powercommander and steering damper.

Happy Trails!

Tony

BTW,

Ah - is that what "cpm" stands for? :D

39.9864793 miles per gallon.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Dave_Boo! :)

You know when I said "someone else" I was talking about YOU! :D

Hey- is the Boxer ride still on for the 13th? I ask because Kawasaki is planning a ride to Chantaburi that same day. Fun group of mostly Thai guys on Vulcans, ER6's, Ninja's and D-Trackers. Always a good time riding with Team Green :D Interested?

post-13906-1244178995_thumb.jpganyone know of a decent place in bkk to get er6n seat adjusted , to be made higher .

i have a bad left knee and thought i could get away with the current riding position , but my knee is just too bent , causing me major discomfort.

a more straighter seat , so i could slide back would be ideal ,as in the pic .

Put the TwoBros Exhaust on my bike today. Sounds awesome! Tony you are right about the volume though; it's pretty loud at first. Once you deafen up a little it's not that bad though.

What surprised me was how heavy this brick was. Felt like it was made of lead. 6.2kg.

cimg3782.jpg

Haven't taken it out for a ride yet. I'm excited to see if there's a noticeable difference.

I also got the two bros fitted on my bike today, Mityon Pattaya charged me 200 baht which I thought was very cheap.

It is amazing, the bike sounds like a monster. You could probably be charged with "instilling fear in the public" or something similar with this pipe, I love it.

Unfortunately I only had about 5 minutes fun before the heavens opened, and I "toured home" at 80kph.

Mityon also lent me a D-Tracker for the day (I dropped my bike off at 9.30 this morning, picked it up at 2.30). I was utterly horrified with the lack of power on the D-Tracker. There was a Thai guy 2up with his girlfriend on a 2 stroke Nova Dash and he completely toasted me away from the lights. I would have been horrified if I had just paid 150K for it. The guy in the showroom said something about "limit speed" - I'm not sure if this one was specially restricted, or they are all like this but the most I saw on the speedo was 112 down a slight hill. It seemed to run out of steam in 5th gear, and doesn't need 6th at all. Overall though, I would say it is a better beginner bike than the ninja, due to lower down torque and the riding position.

On the ER6-N you are never going to be embarrased by a kid on a souped up scooter. The only thing thats getting away from me at the lights is an R1 or similar, but it ain't happened yet.

So all in all I'm delighted, the pipe changes the personality of the ER6N dramatically. Can't comment on performance gains yet as I haven't had chance to test it properly. Only with a good pipe do you realise how stifling the stock one is.

Finally I'd like to say a big thanks to Tony (BigBikeBKK), he has given me valuable advice, supplied me with the pipe almost instantly at a great price, and was even prepared to fit it for me. Without his support I wouldn't have been bothered to see this through, and IMO it is the single best mod you can do to the ER6N so cheers Tony, you're a fountain of knowledge and a great guy to have in our little ER6 corner :)

Cheers,

:D

Edited by INTJ

BTW,

Happy Trails!

Tony

17 km/litre is about 48 miles per gallon when converting to a real Imperial gallon not those short measure US gallons which will only give you 40.

48 sounds much more fuel efficient than 40 anyway, don't you think?

Edited by edwinchester

Put the TwoBros Exhaust on my bike today. Sounds awesome! Tony you are right about the volume though; it's pretty loud at first. Once you deafen up a little it's not that bad though.

What surprised me was how heavy this brick was. Felt like it was made of lead. 6.2kg.

cimg3782.jpg

Haven't taken it out for a ride yet. I'm excited to see if there's a noticeable difference.

Sweet! :D

I think you're gonna be quite impressed at the increase in low and mid range torque and improved throttle response you'll enjoy with this new pipe. Really changes the character of the bike, livens it up and makes it a lot more fun :) (And not sure how accurate your scale is, because I think that stock can weighs closer to 8kg...) The Two Bros is feather light :D

Let the Good Times Roll!

Happy Trails,

Tony

I also got the two bros fitted on my bike today, Mityon Pattaya charged me 200 baht which I thought was very cheap.

It is amazing, the bike sounds like a monster. You could probably be charged with "instilling fear in the public" or something similar with this pipe, I love it.

Unfortunately I only had about 5 minutes fun before the heavens opened, and I "toured home" at 80kph.

Mityon also lent me a D-Tracker for the day (I dropped my bike off at 9.30 this morning, picked it up at 2.30). I was utterly horrified with the lack of power on the D-Tracker. There was a Thai guy 2up with his girlfriend on a 2 stroke Nova Dash and he completely toasted me away from the lights. I would have been horrified if I had just paid 150K for it. The guy in the showroom said something about "limit speed" - I'm not sure if this one was specially restricted, or they are all like this but the most I saw on the speedo was 112 down a slight hill. It seemed to run out of steam in 5th gear, and doesn't need 6th at all. Overall though, I would say it is a better beginner bike than the ninja, due to lower down torque and the riding position.

On the ER6-N you are never going to be embarrased by a kid on a souped up scooter. The only thing thats getting away from me at the lights is an R1 or similar, but it ain't happened yet.

So all in all I'm delighted, the pipe changes the personality of the ER6N dramatically. Can't comment on performance gains yet as I haven't had chance to test it properly. Only with a good pipe do you realise how stifling the stock one is.

Finally I'd like to say a big thanks to Tony (BigBikeBKK), he has given me valuable advice, supplied me with the pipe almost instantly at a great price, and was even prepared to fit it for me. Without his support I wouldn't have been bothered to see this through, and IMO it is the single best mod you can do to the ER6N so cheers Tony, you're a fountain of knowledge and a great guy to have in our little ER6 corner :D

Cheers,

Aw shucks- :D you're too kind :)

Hope you enjoy the new Two Bros as much as I've enjoyed mine! Just watch out for the greedy coppers in Pattaya as they love trying to fine loud bikes, (but haven't caught me yet) :D

Wonder why you had to buy a new sensor? Mityon should have been able to use the original that was attached to your stock can. But oh well, only 400 Baht so no big deal.

Hope we can hook up for a ride soon! Kawasaki Bangkok is organizing a ride to Chantaburi on Saturday June 13th that should be a lot of fun if the weather cooperates. It will be mostly Vulcans, ER6n's, Ninjettes and D-Trackers. I don't know the actual route yet, but imagine we'll pass not too far from your neck of the woods, so hope you'll join us if you can!

Happy Trails,

Tony

Thought you TwoBros owners might find this interesting. Was reading one of the British ER6 forums, here, and the guy was wondering what on earth the hole in the side of his new GPR EVO exhaust was for. I guess some of the 09 bikes don't have the sensor at all.