Thai Family

designersing

Racist or not, you will always be a farang here in Thailand. Yes, they do enjoy making fun of you.

I went to a GF's "family estate" about 2 to 3 hours drive from Bangkok. Basically in the middle of nowhere. My GF requested I buy a gold ring for her Mother for 4,000 baht. While we were there, I was exposed to the usual jerking around which I expected. There was once another farang in the village that was named Martin. Since then, every farang is called Martin. That's just one small example. When we left, her Mother made a remark concerning the ring and that I was cheap. I'm familiar with that word. I told her Mother that when I come next time, I'm bringing her a ring on wheels because it will be so fuc_king huge, she'll need the wheels to be able to walk. It's not uncommon, when you're the odd man out, to get jerked off.

And what was the answer to the question 'Why?' that you ofcourse asked her?

Asking "why" in that case is confronting and therefore a no no in T. The correct Farang answer would be: A/Sure, I have thought about that already or B/Cannot or C/...what would that be, OxfordWilly?

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks everyone for posting replies to my question, I appreciate the feedback but I am not sure I am any the wiser!? God dam_n , I think you lot have confused me even further! l 555 :D I will take it on the chin, and ignore anything I hear onwards, maybe I will even through in some western humour If I hear the name calling again! I'm only here in Thailand for a little longer and trying to make sense of it all afer all. I had a good time but It must come to an end. Ive learnt a lot about Thailand, but some things I guess I will never know, thats ok, life goes on...... :o

I stopped at some traffic lights in bkk, opened the window and bought some of those nuts for 20 baht. my missus laughed and said "farang kee nok" lights went green and about 100m down the road i opened the window and threw them out, childish yes but i took it as a insult and im 100% sure my missus didnt think i knew what it translated to.

Farang kee nok is a insult.

Edited because i forgot to say my missus is well educated and thai/chinese. The car i was driving was a brand new merc bought as a gift from her papa.

You seem like a stable chap...if your wife is indeed well educated I'm sure you could have a conversation with her in English and asked her what she meant and you might have learned a thing or two...made you well educated too.

She put it down to being the same word used for some fruit, I'm none the wiser!

Naam, thanks for the link, I'm not really sure what to make of it, but perhaps It makes a little more sense to me so thank you I appreciate it. The best thing for me would be to study thai to a level in which I can question these things, which isnt going to happen, so therefore perhaps a mai bpen rai would be more suitable, as for my wife, I love her so much, they can call me whatever they may wish. Sticks and stones. :o

Clearly from the above, you are thoughtful, care for your wife. Therefore would not really wish to go down the huffy ultimatum route, greating difficulty and conflict for your wife. My advice is try to turn it around, use humour rather than confrontation. Start calling yourself 'farang kee nok'.....perhaps the family and your wife will start wondering where you are picking this phrase up!!! perhaps then start calling yourself stupid farang.....just under your breath so your wife can hear it.....perhaps then she may wonder where you are picking this up from!!! In short try not to take yourself too seriously, Just my slant on things.....works for me!!!

Good luck

thanks, I will try, I dont have much time left, only a last visit anyhow.

Anyway to solve this problem in the first place, dont marry a poor thai girl.

Jeez in a way I can relate to your madness, I'd love to fall in love with Paris Hilton, but it didnt work out like that. My wife isnt poor anymore, she has me. She is educated and hasnt worked in a bar, I do believe I am blessed, I love her with all of my heart. Tell me youve heard it all before, but I didnt pick her up in a bar, what will be will be, I am the happiest man I have ever been, but I can understand what you mean, I read, and I know.

Racist or not, you will always be a farang here in Thailand. Yes, they do enjoy making fun of you.

I went to a GF's "family estate" about 2 to 3 hours drive from Bangkok. Basically in the middle of nowhere. My GF requested I buy a gold ring for her Mother for 4,000 baht. While we were there, I was exposed to the usual jerking around which I expected. There was once another farang in the village that was named Martin. Since then, every farang is called Martin. That's just one small example. When we left, her Mother made a remark concerning the ring and that I was cheap. I'm familiar with that word. I told her Mother that when I come next time, I'm bringing her a ring on wheels because it will be so fuc_king huge, she'll need the wheels to be able to walk. It's not uncommon, when you're the odd man out, to get jerked off.

WE will always be 'farang' here, that is what we are seen as, which is fair enough, I never argue this. BTW Going off on a mega twisted angle, any of you guys been taking a piss and had a thai guy (and his friend?!) staring at your 'saikrok' in the mens rooms? Thailand is a funny place sometimes, see the look on the Thai guys face as the reality kicks in, yes it is bigger..... :o

It started a while back at the family home, words said to me indirectly, such as farang kii nok, and others which I don't know as they have a countryside accent and I cant understand.

Do they ask you for money ?

Jimmy, did I mention money?

Her family did - direct or indirect.

explain

Khii Nok is an impolite expression and means "stingy farang". They expect you to pay more for them.

I didnt pay a baht to them, and never will. I like being a stingy farang, one-way flights are more affordable.

I stopped at some traffic lights in bkk, opened the window and bought some of those nuts for 20 baht. my missus laughed and said "farang kee nok" lights went green and about 100m down the road i opened the window and threw them out, childish yes but i took it as a insult and im 100% sure my missus didnt think i knew what it translated to.

Edited because i forgot to say my missus is well educated and thai/chinese. The car i was driving was a brand new merc bought as a gift from her papa.

I think you are too sensitive or don't know Thai language that good, Indeed " farangg kee nok can be an deep insult but its also a kind of fruit and sometimes its even can be joking in a lovely way, and even a compliment because you know how to apriciate walk side food. Its all depend on the tone of voice. I presume your misses made a joke and you misunderstand it. My wife is Sino/Thai also and she laughed when I told her your story.

i think you sould :o to your missus because you insulted her by acting like that :D

I understand Thai and if my wife said that to me, I'd tell her to get out the car.

Well educated, my arse.

I wonder if me and henryalleman are the only thai speakers on this thread. probably.

:D :D :D

:o

I'd be embarrased if I had been married to a Thai for 30 years and couldn't speak more than 10 words in Thai.

Dude, that's her trying to get her way out of insulting you - why would she call you a type of fruit for buying peanuts?

And btw, it's "farang kee ngok(not nok)" that is said. ขี้งก

"farang kee nok" is used for scruffy looking Westerners like in backpackers - also used for Thai people who act like a westerner.

Edited by Neeranam

I think you are too sensitive or don't know Thai language that good, Indeed " farangg kee nok can be an deep insult but its also a kind of fruit and sometimes its even can be joking in a lovely way, and even a compliment because you know how to apriciate walk side food. Its all depend on the tone of voice. I presume your misses made a joke and you misunderstand it. My wife is Sino/Thai also and she laughed when I told her your story.

i think you sould :o to your missus because you insulted her by acting like that :D

I understand Thai and if my wife said that to me, I'd tell her to get out the car.

Well educated, my arse.

It was her or the nuts. the nuts went out.

I wonder if me and henryalleman are the only thai speakers on this thread. probably.

:D:D:D

I'd be embarrased if I had been married to a Thai and couldn't speak more than bar-girl Thai.

Dude, that's her trying to get her way out of insulting you - why would she call you a type of fruit for buying peanuts?

Dude there are 2 stories going on here. im sorry i hijacked the thread. Im the peanut guy. hahaha

Edited by BygonKeaw

:D:D:D

I'd be embarrased if I had been married to a Thai and couldn't speak more than bar-girl Thai.

Dude there are 2 stories going on here. im sorry i hijacked the thread. Im the peanut guy. hahaha

lol! 55555555555 gotta love this cess pit of a website forum, :D good one guys

obviously the parents are nasty people.

forget culture,, insulting close relations is not acceptable in any society.

next time they ask if you want to eat, say yes, and ask them to order the super supreme from an expensive pizza delivery company.

see what happens...

act superior, be superior, because you are (in the stupid thai culture thing).

you have lowered your status to a point where they feel superior, big mistake,

restore your status or the problems will get worse.

don't forget..

"i have the money, therefore, i am the boss"

obviously the parents are nasty people.

forget culture,, insulting close relations is not acceptable in any society.

next time they ask if you want to eat, say yes, and ask them to order the super supreme from an expensive pizza delivery company.

see what happens...

act superior, be superior, because you are (in the stupid thai culture thing).

you have lowered your status to a point where they feel superior, big mistake,

restore your status or the problems will get worse.

don't forget..

"i have the money, therefore, i am the boss"

But if you assert yourself on that basis.....then don't spend.... :o

You are indeed correctly termed....farang kee nok... :D

Forgive me for bitching, but the wife left for her mums today, I came home to a dirty house, flies on plates, dusty floors, I havent seen my washing and dirty clothes for god knows how long, jeez I am starting to become the pig of the house, This place is a fcukin mess. I;ve been to the folks and its a mess too. She works 6 days a week, so I know she has no energy, but I thought a wife would take care of the house? I am hearing alarm bells, and I never though I would be so niave. I have a real bad feeling I fcuked up and trusted someone I shoudlnt have? I am a lazy <deleted>, but I expect an orderly house for my work. And I never thought It would happen to me, I guess love has a lot to answer for, :o Guess I fcuked up...dam_n.

Edited by designersing

lol at this topic, my thai friend and my GF both call me Kenok (or however you spell it) ...and i have more money than the both of them put together, in fact my GF is p*ss poor. My GF just told me that it doesn't matter how rich a farrang is if he chooses to act like a poor thai person (live cheaply, eat on the street stalls, wash his own clothes etc) then he is still considered kenok. Its funny because in the UK a man is praised for washing his own clothes and being able to mingle/eat/talk with poorer persons. So now i just play up to being a kenok, i just told my gf she couldnt have my can of tuna in the cupboard because it cost 30 baht and in England it only cost 15 baht, she thinks i am serious and is now in a strop....now the joke is on her :o Thai society is so insecure about money it completely contradicts Buddhist teachings.

My 2 pence...thanks

FARANG KHEE NOK ฝรั่งขี้นก when used like this is a racist term from Thais to whites. While not necessarily exactly equivalent to the 'N' word for black people, it carries the same amount of disrespect and I've seen it used this way before by Thais to farangs. If I were you, I would not associate with the family if they're calling you this and explain quite clearly to the wife why.

Edited by merck

A little background: I've been living in Thailand for a while, I work in Singapore, I'm married, my wife is Thai, educated and pretty cool. Everytime I've gone to her parents house, I have done my best to speak Thai, to be polite and respect them in every best way I can and know and accept this isnt an easy culture to understand however I treat others with the respect I wish to be treated, this is the way I have been brought up. It started a while back at the family home, words said to me indirectly, such as farang kii nok, and others which I don't know as they have a countryside accent and I cant understand. I used to smile and brush them off, maybe its said in jest? However nowadays I have given all excuses possible not to go the parents home, they make me feel uncomfortable and the wife is always nagging at me to go with her. Maybe its inside my mind and I shouldnt be bothered with silly name calling, or perhaps its racism or perhaps they just don't like me, either way I'd like to know what you guys think.....any experiences with this? Thanks in adv!

:o I know what you mean. When you have a Thai family, it is a real FAMILY, that jokes and insults each other...but they do love each other. I've got nearly 30 years experience with it. My name in the family is Farang Mot Mot (basically Farang Fat Fat). My Thai girlfriend has names for her children that aren't all that complimentary, but I know for a fact that she loves them...and I've seen it in action. Her daughter refers to her brothers as dumba## and peabrain...or the Thai eqivalent. But I've seen her really worried when her younger brother was hurt in an accident...although he is ok now. And the three kids are always on Mom about being loud and rude at home.

Don't worry about it, just go about your business, and live your own life. You can't make them like you, but you can act in a way that will earn their respect. That's really all you can do anyhow. isn't it?

:D

crocodile smiles, im sorry but you gotta play their games, i dont have much temperment for that nonsense, maybe its the nyc in me. But when they have something to say to me i let hem have it right back. Just have to do it in a playful way,,, they will get the point. Why every farang is so terrified to let em have it is beyond me... Yeah some times they are not so nice to us, but i promise they are harder on each other than they are to us

Forgive me for bitching, but the wife left for her mums today, I came home to a dirty house, flies on plates, dusty floors, I havent seen my washing and dirty clothes for god knows how long, jeez I am starting to become the pig of the house, This place is a fcukin mess. I;ve been to the folks and its a mess too. She works 6 days a week, so I know she has no energy, but I thought a wife would take care of the house? I am hearing alarm bells, and I never though I would be so niave. I have a real bad feeling I fcuked up and trusted someone I shoudlnt have? I am a lazy <deleted>, but I expect an orderly house for my work. And I never thought It would happen to me, I guess love has a lot to answer for, :o Guess I fcuked up...dam_n.

get a maid buddy, if you want the house all taken care of for you get a better job so she dosent have to work, its your wife bro not a maid

What language you use has consequences.

Maybe it is meant as an insult, maybe it isn't. But if it is communicated even indirectly that you find it offensive, then it should stop, or then the consequences.

I had a similar situation with my own American family. My sister's teenage kids were making "that's so gay" comments with each other in my presence when they knew I am gay. I mentioned this to my sister that I found this offensive and her reaction was that I was out of touch, that is how teens talk. Yes, I knew that, I just didn't want to hear it from family members.

FARANG KHEE NOK ฝรั่งขี้นก when used like this is a racist term from Thais to whites. While not necessarily exactly equivalent to the 'N' word for black people, it carries the same amount of disrespect and I've seen it used this way before by Thais to farangs. If I were you, I would not associate with the family if they're calling you this and explain quite clearly to the wife why.

Your mistaken with ฝรั่งขี้งก.

I've heard Thais call other Thais ฝรั่งขี้นก . :o