Is 3 Persons Allowed On A Bike In Thailand ?

healthcaretaker

Not legal, no. But it isn't really policed much. Guess you'd be fined if you head into a police stop, same as people with no helmets. Foreigners can do it, but it really sucks. Was 3 up on a motorbike taxi in Bangkok the other week and my mates friend kept going in my mouth :S

No, illegal.

illegal, but accepted

bike has load limit, single shock small autos like click and fino 130 kg, double shock larger autos like Nouvo and PCX 160 kg, so 3 foreigners is a tough one

Some of the retired stately gentlemen that I have seen riding small bikes in Thailand are about the equivalent of three Thais riding a motorcycle :D

No, illegal.

illegal, but accepted

bike has load limit, single shock small autos like click and fino 130 kg, double shock larger autos like Nouvo and PCX 160 kg, so 3 foreigners is a tough one

Some of the retired stately gentlemen that I have seen riding small bikes in Thailand are about the equivalent of three Thais riding a motorcycle :D

200bahts says you can. Heck, you are even allowed to load the buffalo onto the motorcycle.:lol:

bikes are reg for 2 people

bike with legal sidecars for 3 or 4 people

2 door and 2+2 door pickups for 2 people, some with front mid seat 3 people

4 door pickups are reg for 5 people

cars are reg for 5 people

PPV for 7 people

but its only enforced to not bring to many on the BKK expressways ;)

200bahts says you can. Heck, you are even allowed to load the buffalo onto the motorcycle.:lol:

You mean like this??

Personally I never try riding more than 2 up when like this.

You keep the animal, I'll give the lady a lift before the big chang takes it away.post-73335-0-73086500-1289727229_thumb.j

Edited by Jezz

You mean like this??

Personally I never try riding more than 2 up when like this.

You keep the animal, I'll give the lady a lift.

Yes, that lady definitely needs assistance..get in line :lol:

Thanks for the replies.

I am asking because 3 of us will be traveling and wish to rent a bike to get around in the smaller towns and rural areas. Definitely will not want to be fined or troubled.

Well if your staying pretty much within bike distance of your local area you shouldn't have any problems.

We don't have problems here in Sukhothai, l couldn't comment on Bangkok.

1. A valid Thai motorbike license would be best but international OK but check with insurance company first.

2. Two adults and one child all with crash Helmets usually ignored.

3. Check the lights are OK.

4.Just by any chance !!! Two 100 baht notes in your pocket for any alleged road errors for Mr Plod.

5. Don't open your wallet in front of him showing a bundle of money.

Ride to live, regards.

Edited by Kwasaki

Well, kind of strange question, as many pointed out it is not legal neither for THais nor for Farangs. 3 of you will be renting a bike? What size are you? Why not renting 2 bikes? Do you think it is comfortable to sit on a small bike with 3 persons and riding 50 km a day? Geez.

Well, kind of strange question, as many pointed out it is not legal neither for THais nor for Farangs. 3 of you will be renting a bike? What size are you? Why not renting 2 bikes? Do you think it is comfortable to sit on a small bike with 3 persons and riding 50 km a day? Geez.

Among us, only 1 can drive a bike. Please don't simply "assume" everythging before replies.

Thanks for the replies.

I am asking because 3 of us will be travelling and wish to rent a bike to get around in the smaller towns and rural areas. Definitely will not want to be fined or troubled.

What is legal for Thai's & what is legal for you (falang) are 2 completely different things.

If you have pale skin better max it out at 2.

I have seen 5 but they were kids. Outside the big cities it is "no plomplem".

In Pattaya I've seen a Honda scooter with a outboard boat hooked to the back of it and a jet ski hooked on behind the boat. I wanted to follow him and see how he turned and stopped but I was heading in the opposite direction and didn't have time to follow him.