Broke Brit In Pattaya Fed By Thai Beer Bar Hostesses

webfact

Perhaps this is why the Tourist visa application now insists you have a return ticket and valid hotel reservations?

This guy could have had anything happen to him, perhaps he had a fist full of folding and got robbed/scammed out of it? Perhaps he didn't spunk all his folding in the lady bars? Did anyone consider that? Or did you all just immediately think he spent it all on short-time?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps this is why the Tourist visa application now insists you have a return ticket and valid hotel reservations?

This guy could have had anything happen to him, perhaps he had a fist full of folding and got robbed/scammed out of it? Perhaps he didn't spunk all his folding in the lady bars? Did anyone consider that? Or did you all just immediately think he spent it all on short-time?

So he must still have his return ticket somewhere then ........ :rolleyes:

A lot of things were considered ... so was Occam's razor - "the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one."

Edited by whybother

Hmmm! - tough question.

OK - I go for option 2.

A lot of things were considered ... so was Occam's razor - "the simplest explanation is most likely the correct one."

What makes you think he had a return ticket after all it is not a required item for entry when you come on a tourist visa.

I love this self-righteous attitude that when a man runs runs out of luck for whatever reason he is immediately garbage.

Apparently the prostitutes in the bars who feel sympathy for him are better than you guys.

Your day will come too trust me it will come because no-body can escape disease and death.

Edited by devaram

What makes you think he had a return ticket after all it is not a required item for entry when you come on a tourist visa.

I was just following MH's lead with him possibly being scammed out of his money. He didn't just arrive here on a one-way ticket and spend it all on booze and girls. :whistling:

It was my understanding that most airlines insist that you have a return ticket if travelling on a tourist visa

Your understanding is incorrect. If you have a tourist visa you will be able to board a plane with a one way ticket. I have done it 10's of times. If you plan on entering Thailand with a Visa-on-entry, it is more likely that you may be refused boarding if you have no ticket to depart from Thailand.

It was my understanding that most airlines insist that you have a return ticket if travelling on a tourist visa

Your understanding is incorrect. If you have a tourist visa you will be able to board a plane with a one way ticket. I have done it 10's of times. If you plan on entering Thailand with a Visa-on-entry, it is more likely that you may be refused boarding if you have no ticket to depart from Thailand.

You might care to look at THIS thread, for the up-to-date info regarding tourist visa requirements ;)

Penkoprod

I note that in the newspaper report his passport had expired. There is no mention of how long he has been here. To enter the country, indeed before leaving a British airport, he would need six month validity on his passport. There is no mention of the type of visa he had originally entered Thailand with, and his passport expiration means that his visa would have expired too, although that may have expired earlier, so his overstay will mean the maximum overstay fine of 20,000 Bt. If he has someone in the UK who will send money over to pay his fine, air fare, and other sundry expenses, the British Embassy will be able to assist. However, if no-one is prepared to give or loan him the money the embassy will not help. He has eight children, according to the report. It would add up to about 150 pounds each?

Edited by BWPattaya

Seems a lot of slagging off here of one of our own when nobody really knows the guys story. ;)

Thanks for that - I also think one should wait for the whole story to come out before condeming somebody The inquisition would have been proud to employ some of the members here – made up there mind that the witch should burn before they know anything.

It is quite easy - especially in places like Pattaya - to get scamed out of your money - and then you are on your own - it could happen to anybody.

Boozing, drugs, indulging in prostitution and a total lack of willpower, self esteem, responsibility, and discipline has brought this idi... - sorry - man to his knees. He is 57 years old and needs the police to pamper him and pay his return ticket? Come on - get real, people!!!! Rock bottom? How about his rings, etc.? He could have sold it... to get the necessary cash to make the necessary calls to friends and relatives in his home country, etc. etc...

I went broke three times here due to being <deleted>&$ed over by fellow business partners (farangs) and once because of the Tsunami, where on top I lost both parents and almost got killed myself. Rock bottom for me there was having left one underpant and my Buddha necklace. I am 46 now, and I never was a victim and I never will be one, regardless of the circumstances and whatever obstacles life has still in store for me. There are people who can hack it and some who can't. It is that simple.

He should do forced labour here until he has earned the cash to buy his ticket. That might teach him a bit about life. Sorry guys, but I can't feel sorry for such an a$wipe.

Edited by catweazle

Maybe there's a larger story here, but it amazes me that he allowed himself to get to that stage (if he really did).

Because where he comes from there is no accountability for your actions, get yourself in a bind of your own doing and go bleating to a goverment department....poor me, not my fault..you have to do something....and has applied the same approach here....I have spent all my money, so British Goverment must fly me home, its not my fault.

IMHO...he is playing the system, same as people do in the UK all the time.

Exactly.

I have no idea how long this man has been staying in Thailand, but since he`s had his fun the man now expects the Thai and British taxpayers to come to his rescue.

This guy is a ponce and a scrounger.

The fault lies with the Thai Government with they’re lax Immigration walk in and walk out policies. These deadbeats and no hopers are fully aware that Thailand is a soft touch as regards foreigners entering the country.

All they need to do is pack a bag, get on a plane, arrive in Thailand with virtually no questions asked or vetting required and they’re in. This also pertains to criminals, fugitives from justice and the scum of the Earth.

People like this guy, are probably already at rock bottom level even before they arrive in Thailand and when someone has sunk as low as they can get, then there is nothing to lose whatever they do after that.

He should have remained in England where no hopers like him can be life long supported by the State with benefits.

Frankly, I would never lose any sleep over the fate of this guy.

I love this self-righteous attitude that when a man runs runs out of luck for whatever reason he is immediately garbage.

Apparently the prostitutes in the bars who feel sympathy for him are better than you guys.

Your day will come too trust me it will come because no-body can escape disease and death.

Why will our day come, people with a brain usually have an escape plan if things go belly up. I have known people like this gentleman and they are the type that just attract problems to themselves and never admit to being the problem and never take responsibility for what befalls them. In the end he will be bailed out and never thank anyone for the help given as he thinks it is his right. Save your sympathy for someone who really needs it.

Came here the same as every year but ran out of money? And oh yes my passport has expired!

Just and idea, when you are down to last 400 pounds, but a ticket home not spend it on beer and women.

And if he has family back home he wants to return to why don't they help?

Oh I forgot the Goverment must pay for my Jollies to Pattaya.

In another thread about some mentally ill Brit in police care, most of the messages on TV seemed to imply that the Thai police were supposed to provide the guy with medical/psychiatric care, private catering, accomodation, etc. Obviously it's these sort of people that the new restrictions on tourist visas are meant to prevent entry to Thailand. Better for such parasites to stay back in Farang-Utopia.

I think Mr Smith will find little sympathy from fellow Brits and other Falangs.

A 57 year ne'er do well who expects his government to support "because he has paid taxes" will find that his bleating will fall on stoney ground.

Responsibility starts, and remains always, with the individual.

Agreed! One must be responsible for one's own actions and deeds....

Well they say a picture paints a thousand words, and looking at this guy (smith) he is reasonably dressed, got gold rings and a watch, certainly doesnt look under nourished or down and out ! this reminds me of the guys that used to beg near the underground in London, atleast they looked rough, but at the end of each day would take a taxi to the outskirts, and drive their Mercedes home to a 500k house, it was all a scam.

This is what down and out and destitute looks like to me ............

post-109645-0-58662100-1314343812_thumb.

Edited by CharlieH

just to let you know guys,a friendly guesthouse owner is giving him free room and he now has 3000 baht to eat and drink,until monday when he catches his flight on monday family have wired the money over western union and he was on a nonb so know over stay he would have had to do visa run 11.9.11

the way some of you guys think shame on you.

Came here the same as every year but ran out of money? And oh yes my passport has expired!

Just and idea, when you are down to last 400 pounds, but a ticket home not spend it on beer and women.

In another thread about some mentally ill Brit in police care, most of the messages on TV seemed to imply that the Thai police were supposed to provide the guy with medical/psychiatric care, private catering, accomodation, etc. Obviously it's these sort of people that the new restrictions on tourist visas are meant to prevent entry to Thailand. Better for such parasites to stay back in Farang-Utopia.

Suradit - I think given the number of Thai people that would gladly leave Thailand should the opportunity arise, that Thai authorities need to think up ways of keeping Thais in Thailand as opposed to preventing foreigners (parasitic or not - classy choice of words) from entering Thailand, Why do so many Thai think Thailand is the best country in the world?

As for the rest of your post I think there is a statutory duty of care that the authorities (i.e. the police) have to ensure that people placed under arrest have access to basic medical services and food.

I have a friend with the same problem in Chiangmai, I have contacted the Embassy and they will contact him.

The guy in this story must realise that he will be detained in the IDC until the ticket and his fines can be purchased.

If he really needed money he could have pawned his rings and the watch.

And I think he is called Christopher Paul Smith.

9 Karat gold and a Swatch? I don't think he'll get much for that

For me the interesting aspect of this story is that the much-maligned hostesses of Pattaya come out looking quite good. Certainly many are not angels, but it seems that a proportion will help their fellow human beings - even a guy who is not very appealing.

Agreed if you have no other responsibilities here except yourself you use the last bit to get back home at minimum.

Edited by WarpSpeed

just to let you know guys,a friendly guesthouse owner is giving him free room and he now has 3000 baht to eat and drink,until monday when he catches his flight on monday family have wired the money over western union and he was on a nonb so know over stay he would have had to do visa run 11.9.11

Maybe you could let us know why he didn't call his family before and ask for help?

Very odd.

Maybe you could let us know why he didn't call his family before and ask for help?

Very odd.

loss of face?