Why Am I In Bangkok

monty1412

Remind me why im in Bangkok again ??????

. Just spent weekend in CM and picked up my FZ1. Love CM city. Spend allot of time at Euro diner which is very motorcycle crowd oriented and nice diverse bunch of folks.. Did some great day trips around the area guided by a long term well respected GT-Rider member.

Just fantastic riding although did give myself a hell of a scare on the saturday when i went too wide on a corner.

The day rides out from CM are just sensational and along with town itself and seemingly really friendly community make me ask.. WHAT/ WHY AM I DOING IN BKK>

Im told that the 2- 3 day rides out are even more spectacular.

The FZ1 is just a superb machine, loads of torque but very nimble and easy to move around on. Came back to Bangkok and got on my cbr250r and it felt like I was riding a sewing machine in contrast. Have a weekend away in Phuket coming up where I will get back on my cbr400rr. Will be interested to see how that feels in relation to last weekends experience.

You can hire bikes in CM easily.. mainly ER6N /Ninja's.. if you haven't ridden up in CM then get thyself on a plane ... its just a blast and the way IMHO how riding should be.

Pic of the FZ1 attached... what a great bike and full credit to former owner who couldn't do enough to help me (aside from keeping the bike in near new condition).

Cheers ride safe.

Sadly the amazing roads of Nan (2-3 day rides ?) are still suffering the effects of this last rainy season. There were some major washouts but they are working to repair them. That means you will have to spend some time on dirt to enjoy stuff like this.

So why are you in Bangkok? :)

Nan%2BTrip%2B%2B021.jpg

Nan%2BTrip%2B%2B022.jpg

Yep it's necessary for work for me, and I have to admit that I do like the sheer scale of BKK - it's pretty difficult to get bored here. I'd love to live in Chiang Mai though and I'll probably move there when I finish the current job. Awesome biking up there and very friendly compared to BKK.

Don't feel bad i wasted more than 10 years in Bangkok.:(

Routes 107 through to Mae Sai (4.5 hours) and 118 to Chiang Rai (3 hours) are also nice day trips. 118 on the Chiang Rai side has sweeping turns similar to a track...and Doi Suthep is always close by for a temporary fix.;)

I bet you went on the Samoeng Loop while in CNX and may have touched 1095 to Pai?

Edited by KRS1

Yeah, I often wonder why I stay in Bangkok. Is it the fear of living in a small town somewhere in the boonies?

must admit I thought that too but CM surprisingly larger than expected and very active , involved expat and bike oriented community.

Direct flight to singapore/ KL/Seoul/ Kunming and pretty good services to BKK on Bangkok Air.

Stopped off at a little bus cafe on 1001 and had a cappuccino which was best I've had in Thailand so far 35Baht....

I just got a vibe from the place, climate is nice.. you actually have seasons, old town is rather eclectic with loads of antique and curio shops as well as galleries and sidewalk cafes.

Ok fair comment to say its only been one visit BUT I travel most of SE Asia for a living, I've lived in four countries over last 10 years and travelled most of the world so when I get a good feel from a place Im probably pretty well dressed to make that call.

Of course nothing can beat that get outa bed early and 15 minutes later be hurtling through the morning mists on nice uncrowded open roads.

Bangkok once a month for a business visit for a few days would probably do me.

Of course nightlife and bars are probabaly not as they are in BKK but quite frankly Im sort of past those days anyway.

Rgds monty

Is those empty roads from CM ?

A true Blizzz , i'm so fed up with the traffic jam in Pattaya i don't leave my room unless i simply have no other option.

But i hate freezing so wherever i live has got to be next to the sea, i heard Hua Hin isn't overcrowded just yet

• 2 weeks later...

Routes 107 through to Mae Sai (4.5 hours) and 118 to Chiang Rai (3 hours) are also nice day trips. 118 on the Chiang Rai side has sweeping turns similar to a track...and Doi Suthep is always close by for a temporary fix.;)

I bet you went on the Samoeng Loop while in CNX and may have touched 1095 to Pai?

Sorry for late response KRS1. yes i did Samoeng loop and road to Phrao then Chiang Dao then back on 108. Just got bacak from another 4 days up there and loved it yet again. Did Samoeng twice, Doi Suthep a few times with gf on back and then went out with a longer term GT rider on 118 to a resort and then hot springs and then back via Bang Bosan.

Great riding. More sold than ever.

What makes it even more compelling is that rentals are about 1/4 of what Im paying here in Bangkok.

Cheers and ride safe

Sorry for late response KRS1. yes i did Samoeng loop and road to Phrao then Chiang Dao then back on 108. Just got bacak from another 4 days up there and loved it yet again. Did Samoeng twice, Doi Suthep a few times with gf on back and then went out with a longer term GT rider on 118 to a resort and then hot springs and then back via Bang Bosan.

What makes it even more compelling is that rentals are about 1/4 of what Im paying here in Bangkok.

Cheers and ride safe

Were you just coming back from Doi Sutep on your FZ1 Sunday afternoon? If so I think I may have been next to you at the lights on my Versys. I'd just been and had sunday lunch at The Pub on Huay Keaw Rd. (the road towards and from Doi Sutep).

Small world if it was! biggrin.gif

Cheers and ride safe

Sounds like your getting around quite a bit, 107 all they way until you get back on 1 is also a must do route. Went to Phrao last week also and its quite a nice road !

118 If you go over the first mountain range leads to Chiang Rai and is also a nice ride, but you have to go through a couple of small towns, 2.75 hours CNX to C.Rai

Mae Hong Song loop is next for me, anyone wants to join up let me know !