Same Questions Asked

uptheos

I sometimes wonder why the same questions are asked over and over again, when there's a search function. So for this forum I typed in 'Best Hamburger', which has been done ad nauseum.

Top 10 Results

1. New Dukes Burger Bar

2. Clothes Hangers Chiang Mai

3. 150 Baht & Under

4. Chiang Mai Studio/ 1Bed Required Jan / Feb

5. Dukes

6. Mighty Moe'S Deli

7. For Men Only - Does She Want Sex Or Just To Be Friends?

8. Pizza N Pasta

9. Where To Buy Tires For My Old Honda City

10. Corn Beef, Italian Beef, And Roast Beef

I will never again refer any questioner to the search function, which is obviously crepe!

PS. The Clothes Hanger seems popular, come up on Best Pizza too!

Edited by uptheos

Don't forget that the search function here on TV is a 'dumb idiot' . In the example posted ' best hamburger' it will pick out topics with the word 'best' AND topics with the word 'hamburger'. Sorry, but we are a long way from an intelligent search system. I use the search function and then weed through the chaff. Works for me, but needs a personal touch.

Don't forget that the search function here on TV is a 'dumb idiot' . In the example posted ' best hamburger' it will pick out topics with the word 'best' AND topics with the word 'hamburger'. Sorry, but we are a long way from an intelligent search system. I use the search function and then weed through the chaff. Works for me, but needs a personal touch.

Wouldn't it pick out 'headings' with best and hamburger?

I know eating can be a form of sublimating, but when looking for a hamburger For Men Only - Does She Want Sex Or Just To Be Friends? does not quite fill the gap.

The search function on here is probably the least functional of any Internet search engine's I've encountered and I'm surprised TV can't find a better function.

Glad it works for you.

Edited by uptheos

A somewhat antiquated search system.

Normally a search for "best hamburger" should return exactly that as opposed to best hamburger which would include anything that had hamburger or best in the thread.

I am sure the forum software must have an exact/advanced search function?

I know eating can be a form of sublimating, but when looking for a hamburger For Men Only - Does She Want Sex Or Just To Be Friends? does not quite fill the gap.

The search function on here is probably the least functional of any Internet search engine's I've encountered and I'm surprised TV can't find a better function.

Glad it works for you.

Not to mention: Where to buy tires for my old Honda. rolleyes.gif

It's much better to use Google. Not sure if the Google based search function is still available on the forum but even if it isn't, you can type the following into Google, exactly as below including the quotes:

"best hamburger" "chiang mai" site:thaivisa.com

However a problem with this particular search on hamburgers is that the phrase 'best hamburger topic' is so often used in a cynical way on this forum, as an example of a topic that is done to death. A prime example is also this discussion right here, which ALSO comes up when searching for 'best hamburger'.

Glad it works for you.

Not to mention: Where to buy tires for my old Honda. rolleyes.gif

There you go......and all the time you typed in Honda as opposed to Hamburger, you silly billy.biggrin.png

No, it looks at all the words in the post (as far as I can tell). And I agree that the search function here is primitive to say the least. And yes it works for me as i sort through the chaff.

A newbie or visitor wouldn't sort through the chaff or even think they had to if they typed in a simple question. I think the antiquated search function is the reason why it seems newbies might be lazy, but they're not.....they just can't find a decent answer searching, so they ask it on a thread and get castigated!

Go to the search under the forum tab for more options. I tend to have success searching titles only. The search bar in the upper right corner of every page is far less useful as it searches the text of all the posts so this thread would show up for a search of "best hamburgers". If you go to 'Forum Search' under the 'Forum' tab and enter the search term 'burger' select 'only search in titles' and select the Chiang Mai forum the first ten results are as follows:

New Dukes Burger Bar

Dukes Burger Bar

Burgerking in Chiang Mai

Best Bacon, Onion Burger w/ Home Cut Fries in Town

Chiang Mai's first 500 Baht Burger

Burger King at Chiang Mai Airport?

Burger Joints Close

Burger at the House Ain't Too Bad

Today for Lunch: The Best Burger I've had in Chiangmai

Another Burger Thread!

Go to the search under the forum tab for more options. I tend to have success searching titles only. The search bar in the upper right corner of every page is far less useful as it searches the text of all the posts so this thread would show up for a search of "best hamburgers". If you go to 'Forum Search' under the 'Forum' tab and enter the search term 'burger' select 'only search in titles' and select the Chiang Mai forum the first ten results are as follows:

New Dukes Burger Bar

Dukes Burger Bar

Burgerking in Chiang Mai

Best Bacon, Onion Burger w/ Home Cut Fries in Town

Chiang Mai's first 500 Baht Burger

Burger King at Chiang Mai Airport?

Burger Joints Close

Burger at the House Ain't Too Bad

Today for Lunch: The Best Burger I've had in Chiangmai

Another Burger Thread!

Thanks for that, it certainly looks a better list.

However, many people new and old, would simply use the prominent search option at the top of the page, because it says "Search'. Most people wouldn't look further than that, especially not under 'Forums' IMO.

Thanks for that, it certainly looks a better list.

However, many people new and old, would simply use the prominent search option at the top of the page, because it says "Search'. Most people wouldn't look further than that, especially not under 'Forums' IMO.

You are absolutely correct and the real shame is that the newer members who are most likely to have questions that have been addressed before would be most hard pressed to work out the convoluted click pattern to get to a real search function. I don't remember having the lesser search function at the top of every page when I started using Thaivisa but I am, admittedly, not the most observant of people. Having said that, I don't take issue with members creating new threads asking questions that have been asked before, things change rapidly here and it is always good to get fresh (and, perhaps, more varied) opinions. I had much rather someone open a new thread than amend a year old thread.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to eliminate the low quality top of page search and replace it with a link to the better quality search function? Such a change would make the forum far more user-friendly, particularly for new users.

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to eliminate the low quality top of page search and replace it with a link to the better quality search function? Such a change would make the forum far more user-friendly, particularly for new users.

+1.....Possibly it could be done whilst still 'tweaking' this new format?

Edited by uptheos

We have got a new search module for the forum, which will be installed in January.

It's a complete overhaul to make search experience very similar to Google search, with same syntax and similar operators as Google.

I have seen it on a test installation and it's a real improvement! Watch this space shortly.

Cheers

We have got a new search module for the forum, which will be installed in January.

It's a complete overhaul to make search experience very similar to Google search, with same syntax and similar operators as Google.

I have seen it on a test installation and it's a real improvement! Watch this space shortly.

Cheers

Sounds good George

Cheers

No, it looks at all the words in the post (as far as I can tell). And I agree that the search function here is primitive to say the least. And yes it works for me as i sort through the chaff.

A newbie or visitor wouldn't sort through the chaff or even think they had to if they typed in a simple question. I think the antiquated search function is the reason why it seems newbies might be lazy, but they're not.....they just can't find a decent answer searching, so they ask it on a thread and get castigated!

Well, asking where to by "the best hamburger". What would you expect... rolleyes.gif