Jomtien Bht Bus Rudeness

ga3443

i live in jomtien so regularly get the bus from pattaya dai to jomtien ,i am sick and tired of listening to the thais that organise the que being rude to farangs ,most farangs as we no are bigger in body than thais and therefore take up more room ,i have persanally witnessed " large " farangs being told to leave the bus because they take up 2 much room ,the poor russian guy was so bewildered ,he had no idea what was going on ,i can speak thai (im english ) fairly well so i got into a heated arguement with the aggresive thai lady and was told farangs take up 2 much room ,off course the thing they cant compute is that probably 70% or more of there customers are farang ,without the farang i suspect they would be struggling but off course this fact is forgotten if someone takes up a little more than one seat ..........

even if u r a fairly normal size u get pushed/poked and shouted at to move /move/move to create more space ,off couse i fully realise that the more bodies the more money but this is supposed to b the land of smiles,.which of course we all know it isnt ,i really wish pattaya had meter taxis ,i lived in bkok for 2 years and rarely had any problems with taxis ,ok its 35 bht starting price but u go a long way for 70/80 bht ,more importantly the drivers are generally polite ,u r on yr own so no -one trying to steal yr money (which also nearly happened to me last week),u have air con ,no pollution and guess what u actually arrive at the place u want to go ...............i have also lost count of the ammount of times i have been on the bus ,suddenly a few customers get on and the bus just takes off in a totally different direction because they have booked it privately ............also on the jomtien route ive had the bus stop half way along jomtien and tell me to get out because im the only customer and they dont want to go any further !!!

ive been pattaya 4 years now and i think its fair to say that i hate the bus system

• Like 1

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As with most thais, they only think about the money they can make TODAY.

any thoughts as to a long term business plan or good customer service is not factored in.

you then see these same people a few years down the line out of business. if you listen, you will hear them say, 'i can,t understand where it went wrong. it certainly wasn,t anything I did.'

passifier.gif

Sorry you've had bad experiences. I don't own a car or bike and rely on them a lot and have had very few bad experiences. Plus you can go a long way for 10 THB don't you think ?

The only time I've had hassle is when joinng one at their kicking-off points, like the outside the school at the junction of 2nd Rd and South Pattaya Rd or where the latter meets Suk Rd at the top. Here the drivers do tend to treat people like cattle and I've also been kicked off a bus when a party arrived. These days I just walk a bit and catch a bus further down the street.

Overall I like them, but I would still pedestrianise most of 2nd Rd / Beach Rd / Soi Bukhao and the linking roads if I had my way.

Simon

As regular readers know, I am have had my run ins with those queue Nazis. There seems to be a lot of turnover, some of them are crazier and/or more drunk/yabba-unk than others. Some deserve to be behind bars. I have seen them make mothers and small children cry. I have been humiliated by them personally a number of times. I have seen them kick off entire busloads of people just to play their power games. It is truly a disgusting situation. Sometimes. The Tourism authority ought to deal with this. Hire smiling young people with big smiles for that job. Thousands of tourist go through that queue. Many see the absolute worst face Thailand has to offer. Thank you OP for being another voice of protest against this horror show.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I do hate to be cynical or negative but I think the city officials will get to work on the baht bus problems (ie - too many, no set routes upon convenience, rudeness, fitness to operate public transport, etc, etc.) immediately after they solve the jetski scam fiasco! laugh.pnggiggle.gif In a few years I think this same problem will be continue to be worked on. Money talks here and nobody screws with the big guys who control these enterprises. I disagree that Thailand is a 3rd world country, it isn't - it just has some corrupt systems that needs changing.

To save the frustration I don't use jetskis or baht buses, I don't want to enable this behavior.

Catch your bus on Pattaya Tai before it turns to Jomtien, or -as already mentioned--walk down a bit and catch another one.

here here, I do this also, walk along a bit and just get one that is on route

I was actually seated on one of these waiting buses and when I saw their attitude I got up and left the bus to a toraid of abuse, I just looked at them and said some words that they where familiar with and walked away with a smile.

The only problem with these guys (not TV posters that is wink.png) is that they are very vindictive. Not so long ago I witnessed, that they tried to ran over the foot of someone, just because of a dispute over 10 Baht.

Edited by MJCM

I'm astounded that anyone who has been here more than a week still gets the Jomtien bahtbus outside the school along with all the rabble.

Walk 50 yards towards Jomtien and flag down the first one with plenty of space. Same trip, same 10B, no rabble.

• Like 1

I'm astounded that anyone who has been here more than a week still gets the Jomtien bahtbus outside the school along with all the rabble.

Walk 50 yards towards Jomtien and flag down the first one with plenty of space. Same trip, same 10B, no rabble.

In my experience, they don't always go all the way. A couple of times being dumped in the middle of the hill in a heavy rainstorm was enough for me.

In my experience, they don't always go all the way. A couple of times being dumped in the middle of the hill in a heavy rainstorm was enough for me.

I've yet to have any such problem, but I suppose you could always join the queue if it's raining. It doesn't do it that often here.

As with most thais, they only think about the money they can make TODAY.

any thoughts as to a long term business plan or good customer service is not factored in.

you then see these same people a few years down the line out of business. if you listen, you will hear them say, 'i can,t understand where it went wrong. it certainly wasn,t anything I did.'

passifier.gif

There aren't any alternatives for people who want to travel cheaply from Jomtien to Pattaya so they can treat customers how they wish and it won't impact their business in the slightest.

REMOVED

This is the Pattaya forum. Please bash ... elsewhere ... if you must.

I'm often being told ,by the person apparently controlling 'baht bus boarding' to move along a bit

but all I do is make a movement as tho I'm shifting and then sit back down in the same place.

Works for me .

Topic not yet closed by the ninjas ? 555...

I totally agree about the bus drivers. but at the farm from where they come from they are considered as educated and very polite :-)

Rightly so, until the rudeness and social ignorance of the city dwellers rubbed off on them......not all of it though, they got used to the smell of bullshit on the farm and see it coming........so just squeeze up Mr blobby alright

I've yet to have any such problem, but I suppose you could always join the queue if it's raining. It doesn't do it that often here.

I have never been successful in getting one not packed - with rare morning hour exceptions.

You're using the transport method of the lowest common denominator in a 3rd world country.

What do you expect ?

Agree, the Cheap Charlie should buy his own car or motorbike. Even the baht-bus system is way superior to the MUNI public transit system in San Francisco.

• Like 1

Correct.

I boarded the Jomtien bus one time at the school stop. Never again.

They tried to pack 25 people in there. Had us waiting for a long long time in the heat.

Are these buses designed to transport 2,000 kilograms of cargo?

Dangerously overloaded, questionable driver and lack of maintenance....an accident waiting to happen...

Now, I always grab one on Pattaya Tai that is turning toward Jomtien.

Whatever you do, don't give them any lip, because they will boot you off! Also there was the one time as I reported here they loudly ordered me to WALK to Jomtien because I chose not to board an already totally packed truck.

They have no respect for farangs and will go off on you in a second.

I know some carry guns and almost all have some sort of weapon or protection with them.

I also have suffered all of the above problems with these pick up trucks. They are not a Bus and they are only supposed to carry 11 passengers. I.e. 5 on each bench and one sitting inside with the driver.

It amazes me that the "police" don't use what little brain cells they have and start stopping them and fining for overloading. If they really knew the rules of the Highway operated in other countries. They would make a fortune stopping overloaded trucks, buses motorbikes and cars and vehicles not fit to be on the road in the first place.

Another point I have about these decrepit vehicles is the huge plumes of black fumes they spew out. No maintenance is ever carried out.

I rarely use them now as I cycle everywhere. Believe me this is the way ahead for any able bodied person wanting to get around Pattaya and Jomtien.

"It amazes me that the "police" don't use what little brain cells they have and start stopping them and fining for overloading. If they really knew the rules of the Highway operated in other countries. They would make a fortune stopping overloaded trucks, buses motorbikes and cars and vehicles not fit to be on the road in the first place."

They make their fortune by allowing it to happen.