Anything To Gain By Tipping?

facey

I think it would be handy to know the background of some posters here i.e. whether you live here or are here mostly on 2-4 week holidays, if the latter you will tend to throw money around with little thought as as such will usually tip generously, I do the same when I'm on holiday and it used to have it's rewards.

on another note, I sometimes buy lady drinks in bars I frequent if I like someone etc - do you still think a tip is in order if you've spent 300baht on drinks not for yourself

oh and I'm a resident

Edited by smedly

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the Aussies cant complain as anything is better than being there.

I was at the Hilton the other day. It's fairly posh, though not so posh that they wont let me in. At a nearby table were 3 Aussies and a Thai girl. The Aussies were loud, pissed and <deleted> and blinding like there was no tomorrow. Quite appalling. Even in a bar on Soi Buakow they would have been excessive.

Edited by Rimmer
Racist flame

I think it would be handy to know the background of some posters here i.e. whether you live here or are here mostly on 2-4 week holidays, if the latter you will tend to throw money around with little thought as as such will usually tip generously, I do the same when I'm on holiday and it used to have it's rewards.

on another note, I sometimes buy lady drinks in bars I frequent if I like someone etc - do you still think a tip is in order if you've spent 300baht on drinks not for yourself

oh and I'm a resident

I wholeheartedly agree.

Holidaying people tend to go a bit crazy with the amounts they tip and make it worse for us who stay here all year round.

I too buy some of the ladies drinks. Sometimes it will be lady-drinks other times drinks for one of the ladies working in the bar who tends to take care of me regularly. Then why tip? The tip is in the drink(s).

If I am sat on my own I will tip but then that is for all the staff. My choice, same as you make your choice :)

If the service is good, and the waiter/waitress is nice and polite, i will tip 20 bt..

However if the waiter/waitress stands waiting with the metal plate, i refuse to.

Standing waiting for a tip is cheeky !!! I dont care what they think of me, and I am not shy at all of not leaving a tip.

I like your attitude but I won't stiff just based on that, as incredibly annoying as it is. Sometimes I like to play games with waiters who do that, and try to move the tray around and not leave and see if I can make them back away from the table, look at them funny with an expression that implies did you want to say something, otherwise why are you standing in my face. Like I say, I'm easily amused. Edited by Jingthing

Thats rather racist, what about all the Americans (From USA) who complain that Pizza or Mexican isnt like it is at home. I understand the Aussies cant complain as anything is better than being there.

Come on, think before you type. A Dutch-NZ-Aussie making a comment about about Brits is racist? Don't you hate it when people use any possible excuse to drag out the racist card.

I was at the Hilton the other day. It's fairly posh, though not so posh that they wont let me in. At a nearby table were 3 Aussies and a Thai girl. The Aussies were loud, pissed and <deleted> and blinding like there was no tomorrow. Quite appalling. Even in a bar on Soi Buakow they would have been excessive.

So what are you trying to say? You met 3 loud, drunk Aussie and...?

I've met loud drunks from every continent and more than a few from the British Isles. I've also met thousands of loud, drunk and obnoxious Aussies in Australia. So what? Drunks are obnoxious no matter where they are born.

The phrase that linked the previous comment about Australia and mine about Australians was deleted.

so we can rest this issue and go back on topic, please....

The phrase that linked the previous comment about Australia and mine about Australians was deleted.

so we can rest this issue and go back on topic, please....

Yes. I hate it when they stand around with the change tray waiting for their tip.

Is there anything to gain by tipping? In all manners of giving to get anything inThailand it has been my experience that I will get back the sum total of nothing in most cases.

Maybe a smile, maybe not. So my policy through the years has been to not have any expectations so there are no disapointments and none of this really has an bearing on if I leave a tip. The local working class aren't slaves but as far as I'm concerned they work for slave wages and 20, 50, 100 bht that I may leave from time to time makes me feel that I might be doing some good on a small scale.