New Pcx 150

tekinsel

I think most people buy the 150 for its style and acceleration also being able to handle riding 2 up with easy with good storage etc, I dont see many people wanting to do much over 100 on the crap roads around Pattaya, I've had mine to 100 with easy and had no issues with stability etc, after all its a city bike not a tourer.

'city bike not a tourer' If that was the case then why bother making a 150? The way I see it is that the PCX was meant for people that wanted to tour around on a scooter or use it in the city with a bit of comfort.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most people buy the 150 for its style and acceleration also being able to handle riding 2 up with easy with good storage etc, I dont see many people wanting to do much over 100 on the crap roads around Pattaya, I've had mine to 100 with easy and had no issues with stability etc, after all its a city bike not a tourer.

'city bike not a tourer' If that was the case then why bother making a 150?

simple ,a pcx is too heavy to be quick at 125cc ,esp with 2 persons onboard

Regrettably, as I see it now, we have no hard data on the performance of the 150 compared to the 125 PCX. What little we have on riding on the flat with x as payload has been expressed here as speedo readings, which may or may not vary (but at least would be a beginning. Even here, the difference does not seem significant from the earliest of reports). Honda, of course, does not admit to HP or torque figures. By the time we begin to have sufficient reports from the field, many will be modifying their new 150's with mufflers, variators, and anything else the after-market people can advertise.

At the present state of our knowledge, I'm not certain that the purchase of a second hand 125 would not confer more benefits than that of a new 150 at their respective prices, although one must be happy that Honda released a flood of the 150's and blunted gouging by dealers - and priced it near 80 instead of 100K.

I'm interested though, and hope these happy owners keep the reports rolling in!!!!

Actually the bike was designed so it could conform to the laws in the USA allowing only bikes of 150 cc or above on the highway. They do still make a 125 for some countries where that follows the laws

Regrettably.. . Honda, of course, does not admit to HP or torque figures.

I'm interested though, and hope these happy owners keep the reports rolling in!!!!

But they do, as well as km/L ratings on all their bikes. the old PCX125 was rated at 52 km/L My wave at 62 km/l But so far Honda has released nothing on the PCX150 whick seems strange to me

"why bother making a 150?" for many reasons its called progress, New Click is 125cc from 110cc, and its not always just about speed. the new PCX is smoother and has more mid range punch, the majority of people don't buy a PCX to go touring, although I'm sure some one on here has.

Sir McCallom,

Great to know that the HP of the 125 PCX has been published. I couldn't even Google it successfully. (Mileage, I knew - it was an advertising point.)

So that we can be ready for the HP of the 150, what is it with the 125, please.

Incidentally, an American publication, Scooterguide or something, claims that the 125 rpm is electronically controlled so that a lightweight rider cannot go beyond 103km/h. He speculates that with higher gearing the 150 might be allowed to attain 114 (but not with me aboard!).

what is it with the 125, please.

Max. Power Output

8.33kW (11.16 HP) / 8,000min-1 (95/1/EC)

Max. Torque

11.56Nm / 6,000min-1 (95/1/EC)

In practise about 10.9. With aftermarket exhaust up to 12.9. Max revs 9300.

Edited by VocalNeal

Actually the bike was designed so it could conform to the laws in the USA allowing only bikes of 150 cc or above on the highway. They do still make a 125 for some countries where that follows the laws

125cc is the magic number + money spinner in all those countries that that have tiered licencing for bikes

i still think a 125 cc is too small for a PCX but havent tried a 150 yet to see if its much better

Thanks for proving my point. That the PCX 150 is not just a city bike. To me that's a big plus for the new PCX. You can use it in the city or for long journeys. Yes it won't break any speed records but thats what sports bikes are for.

Just got the 150 for Mrs Pikey to replace her 4 year old Airblade. Bought it with all the bling on from Nat Motors on Huay Kaew Rd - excellent service.

2012-04-19-097Large.jpg

2012-04-19-096Large.jpg

Needless to say, she's well chuffed :D

Cheers,

Pikey.

This is a bike that Nat-west will trick out for you. I was in there the other day for my 1000k check up and they had several tricked out bikes the wheels and tires on Pikeys bike are a nre addition as they didn't have these about a month ago, I would have went for a set of these instead of the IRC wings which are working out fine and the seat is also new addition to the stock as well. They had a 125 for sale that had been painted completely with black primer and chrome bling looked very nice.

Pikey how comfortable is that seat, I pushed and probed the one they had on display and it didn't feel all that padded which is fine for short rides but a couple of hours on the road your butt maybe howling.

CMX/Moe666,

I bought the bike as you see it and believe it is one of the ex-display models that they had at the recent CM Auto show at Airport Plaza with the exception of the seat which was hanging on the wall at the back of the shop along with some others.

I have managed to prize Mrs Pikey's hands off the bars for long enough to give it a try and I am that impressed that I am hopefully scoring myself a s/h 125 tomorrow on the cheap and will bling it up and tweak the variator. The seat is reasonably comfortable but I've only ridden it about 10km. The downside is that you can't fit 3 people on it easily.

The wheels were on it and are X-Speed 13 inchers and the missus reckons they are a bit twitchier than her Airblade's which were 14". They are IRC MB66 tubeless tyres. Loads of info and pics if you google pcxclub thailand then click on the sponsors banners.

Cheers,

Pikey.

no offense but i think the pcx looks like a pregnant cow. Such a ugly thing.....

So... pregnant cows are not beautiful? Think of the utility! The future! Steaks, hamburger, or milk!

I've been one of the first to agree that the PCX 125 was somewhat cumbersome to park and to weave between 4 wheelers' mirrors at stops (yet wide mirrors mean better safety for those of us who are broader of shoulder than most Thais).

But the PCX is not painted like a child's colouring book, it's lines and absence of scribbles seem streamlined (to me), it does not offend with spokes and leaky inner tubes (I understand that the PCX comes with fat tubeless tyres - which are themselves beautiful), and delivers a comfy ride.

In short, it's more like 1) a chubby and streamlined mechanical pillow (OK, with a lump in it until it's extracted) - and 2) truly cheap to operate, and 3) it will hold high its resale value for quite a while. To my eyes it can claim considerable beauty.

Still, it doesn't matter, I now realize. Here I've been pestering owners with questions about performance and what really counts is what others think of it. Pikey's reports that is wife is well pleased. So the real question is how it will be regarded by others - an owner might be mistaken for someone with money! That delusion might feel beautiful as well.

Edited by CMX

no offense but i think the pcx looks like a pregnant cow. Such a ugly thing.....

So... pregnant cows are not beautiful? Think of the utility! The future! Steaks, hamburger, or milk!

I've been one of the first to agree that the PCX 125 was somewhat cumbersome to park and to weave between 4 wheelers' mirrors at stops (yet wide mirrors mean better safety for those of us who are broader of shoulder than most Thais).

But the PCX is not painted like a child's colouring book, it's lines and absence of scribbles seem streamlined (to me), it does not offend with spokes and leaky inner tubes (I understand that the PCX comes with fat tubeless tyres - which are themselves beautiful), and delivers a comfy ride.

In short, it's more like 1) a chubby and streamlined mechanical pillow (OK, with a lump in it until it's extracted) - and 2) truly cheap to operate, and 3) it will hold high its resale value for quite a while. To my eyes it can claim considerable beauty.

Still, it doesn't matter, I now realize. Here I've been pestering owners with questions about performance and what really counts is what others think of it. Pikey's reports that is wife is well pleased. So the real question is how it will be regarded by others - an owner might be mistaken for someone with money! That delusion might feel beautiful as well.

Hmmm, we are talking about a 150cc scooter here, not the latest MotoGP/WSBK rep pumping out 200BHP. Having said that, you've nailed the PCX's plus points exactly - cheap to run, high residuals and comfortable. IMO. it's also the most desireable auto on the domestic market. As a lifetime Biker with more that 50 vehicles under my belt, I can say that I like to "fiddle" and customize and with the PCX, that is cheap to do and the results can make it truly unique.

Just don't forget - it's still only a scooter!

Cheers,

Pikey.

Nice bike, modding a bike will always have some people saying looks good or not so good its all about the owner being happy, after all its his/her bike and cash, I'm on my second PCX and have modded both mostly seat and just a few chrome items, Enjoying my 150 and fuel economy is more or less the same as the 125 the main difference is you don't have to open the throttle as much to get good acceleration this may be helping with economy.

Did a little test with 150 against 125 last night, from traffic lights in Jomtien to next set of lights at the top of the hill and the 150 pulled a really good distance away from the 125, both riders about 80kg, did the same down the other side of the light in towards Pattaya and 150 pulled a good lead, overall probably not a massive increase in performance but the 150 does have a broader power band.

Edited by ianthai

Was in MaiThai yesterday and talking to a guy who has a very heavily modified PCX 150, looks like engine tuning is available already for the 150, they said would pull over 140, looked expensive and very nice.

Ian,

Prolly much of the same stuff from the 125 mod camp will work on the 150. Many 125's were converted to 160 and had big valves etc. they would do at least 130 I was told, so what you were told sounds credible.

The 150cc PCX is not worth the upgrade or extra money that the 125cc PCX offers. Fuel economy is the same or marginally less, increased power is nothing to get excited about, everything is pretty much the same. Now if they put the 250cc engine from the CBR in it THAT would be impressive and add some more gauges to the bike beyond a spedo and fuel meter - a CLOCK would be nice so you can see the time.

Then again, they do all that and the bike would cost more and be in a different category but it would be a very nice scooter.

I would agree if you already have a 125 then maybe its not, but if your looking for a new PCX then you have no option but to go for the 150, I was lucky enough to sell my 125 when no new ones where available so I got a very good price for it in fact almost what it cost new 14 months ago, so the upgrade cost very little as my new 150 was 77500 all in with theft insurance etc.

Edited by ianthai

• 2 weeks later...

This topic seems to have died.

Except for Ian who said he got 39.5 kpl no one else had really said

Rental companies haven't been quick to replace thier 125's to 150"s helping supply

However now Mr. Mechanic in Chaing Mai has a new black one for rent at 600 Bt a day.

Before I rush out and get one I think I will rent one for a few days and report back to you

Rental companies haven't been quick to replace thier 125's to 150"s helping supply

However now Mr. Mechanic in Chaing Mai has a new black one for rent at 600 Bt a day.

Before I rush out and get one I think I will rent one for a few days and report back to you

holy fxxk ,last time i was in pattaya you could rent a versys for 600 a day

The 150cc PCX is not worth the upgrade or extra money that the 125cc PCX offers. Fuel economy is the same or marginally less, increased power is nothing to get excited about, everything is pretty much the same. Now if they put the 250cc engine from the CBR in it THAT would be impressive and add some more gauges to the bike beyond a spedo and fuel meter - a CLOCK would be nice so you can see the time.

Then again, they do all that and the bike would cost more and be in a different category but it would be a very nice scooter.

I took a Motorcycle Safety (and licensing) course in the U.S. some years ago as I was returning to the U.S. and didn't own a bike for the test. Teachers then claimed that only 250cc and greater machines were allowed on U.S. freeways, and I've seen the same written more recently. This is a good thing in my state since 70 mph is allowed and police may overlook 74 (119 true). It is a rare and lightly loaded 250cc that keeps up with others on the uphill at 119gps. A stock 150 would be at a great disadvantage on freeways, and that's why I believe them to be illegal for limited access roads. As Suzuki and Yamaha make 400 cc single cylinder scoots, I can't see why a 250 PCX is beyond imagination, except perhaps the wheels?

Also, am I wrong or is the national speed limit 90 here in LOS, except for a few toll roads? (Just asking about the law, not what drivers do generally, to which we all can testify - not to mention hoolians on bigger bikes.)whistling.gif

Edited by CMX

I took a Motorcycle Safety (and licensing) course in the U.S. some years ago as I was returning to the U.S. and didn't own a bike for the test. Teachers then claimed that only 250cc and greater machines were allowed on U.S. freeways, and I've seen the same written more recently. This is a good thing in my state since 70 mph is allowed and police may overlook 74 (119 true). It is a rare and lightly loaded 250cc that keeps up with others on the uphill at 119gps. A stock 150 would be at a great disadvantage on freeways, and that's why I believe them to be illegal for limited access roads. As Suzuki and Yamaha make 400 cc single cylinder scoots, I can't see why a 250 PCX is beyond imagination, except perhaps the wheels?

Also, am I wrong or is the national speed limit 90 here in LOS, except for a few toll roads? (Just asking about the law, not what drivers do generally, to which we all can testify - not to mention hoolians on bigger bikes.)whistling.gif

You are correct about US Federal road safety laws, the 250cc limit was put in place many many years ago because normally the weight to power ratio of the bike is high enough to not allow a person to be "blown" of the road by passing traffic especially big trucks. Yes in America the speed limits are higher but the roads are also significantly better. The highway speed limits in Thailand are 90kph (bike roads), the Toll Roads which we can't ride our bikes on are 120kph and YES those roads, most of them are in excellent shape, lot of crazy drivers to.

I also agree, a 250cc scooter would be a great all around tool. You could take it on the highway and have a little power left over while driving in order to avoid certain situations. Around town, no big deal, easy to ride slow - fuel economy would be pretty good although of course worse than a 125cc engine. I don't think it would be that hard to produce a bike like this and the cost here in LOS could be around let's say 140k baht, maybe more or less. I think a lot of people would line up to get them that want a bigger engine but not a sport bike. Scooters are not that bad to drive around, lot of people like them here including me.

Of note I used to own a 125cc PCX, drove it from Bangkok to Pattaya several times with no dramas. Unfortunately to keep up with moderate traffic you have to be running around 90-100kph and the bike tops out at around 105kph (electronically limited mostly due to RPM limit of engine being reached and not the variator weights). The bike never did feel unstable although maybe a little light for that high a speed, bigger engine would have helped this out in the weight and power areas significantly and of course some bigger tires would have been nice. smile.png

Edited by commande

holy fxxk ,last time i was in pattaya you could rent a versys for 600 a day

Cars rent for 1000 a day and I can get 7 or 8 PCX for the price of a car, Maybe I should go into the business . . .

Up here in Chiang Mai the Versys is 1200 a day

"You are correct about US Federal road safety laws, the 250cc limit was put in place many many years ago because normally the weight to power ratio of the bike is high enough to not allow a person to be "blown" of the road by passing traffic especially big trucks. Yes in America the speed limits are higher but the roads are also significantly better. The highway speed limits in Thailand are 90kph (bike roads), the Toll Roads which we can't ride our bikes on are 120kph and YES those roads, most of them are in excellent shape, lot of crazy drivers to.

Of note I used to own a 125cc PCX, drove it from Bangkok to Pattaya several times with no dramas. Unfortunately to keep up with moderate traffic you have to be running around 90-100kph and the bike tops out at around 105kph (electronically limited mostly due to RPM limit of engine being reached and not the variator weights). The bike never did feel unstable although maybe a little light for that high a speed, bigger engine would have helped this out in the weight and power areas..."

Good grief ! Road laws are regulated by each state, Not the federal government. When was the last time you noticed a federal police car on the road, (anywhere out side of DC that is ?) Where I don't know every states law reguarding Engine size, I do know California, Oregon, Colorado and some others are 150cc Some state don't have limit sizes such as Hawaii

As for the roads in Thailand the speed limit for Cars and motorcycles, not Semi or BIG trucks is 120 kph on AH1 and AH2 as well as many others. Most riders use these for going north and south as I do Chaing Mai to BKK or on south on my PCX

And Lastly, The PCX does not have an Electronic limiter set at 105 as you say. I did work for Honda America for a while and know and ride with the Designer and R&D guys here in Thailand who made the PCX