Why Is It So Difficult To Find A Good Friend In Thailand

thequietman

• Replies 558
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry Bendix but you were ratted out on TV years ago.

Shortly after it was noticed that you were no longer active on here, there were a few voices raised in query, some negative and some with genuine concern.

Then it was revealed by someone who claimed to know you that you are ''a very nice person, a true gent'', or some such tosh. And that you were no longer resident in Thailand.

Of course there were suspicions that this poster was an agent of yours, secretly in your pay, but nothing was ever proved.

And how is it that I can remember that, but not where my keys or glasses are at any given time. Life is so f...ing unfair.

Wow! I think the dog's on the soi are kinder to each other. I will agree that I don't go out of my way to approach another westerner, but I will frequently smile or nod my head. All of my friends are Thai, my partner is Thai, and I work in my Thai families business, I go to a Temple that is all Thai, shop and live in places that are just about all Thai.

Westerner's here in Thailand are a mix of those who prefer to hang with other westerners and those who choose to just associate with Thai's. I think we can all be civil to each other, but we don't have to engage every Farang we encounter. I have witnessed when my Thai partner and I travel to the west that indeed he engages other Thai's. Nothing more than Sawadee or whatever. Smaller gene pool! We have met some great people because he is not shy. Would I do it in the west, no! Would I do it here, probably no! I might smile, nod and on ocassion say hello, but that is my choice.

Now for any of you who are interested in becoming part of a group of Gay Retirees, check out the Forum. This is a social group, not a sex group. Mainly for men and women who are Gay, retired and may want mutual social support. It's open to anyone of like mind. We will meet soon here in Bangkok and if your interested go to the forum. We have some very interesting people who are part of this group and you're welcome to be part of it if you can be respectfull and leave your attitude at the door.

Cheers

Wow! I think the dog's on the soi are kinder to each other. I will agree that I don't go out of my way to approach another westerner, but I will frequently smile or nod my head. All of my friends are Thai, my partner is Thai, and I work in my Thai families business, I go to a Temple that is all Thai, shop and live in places that are just about all Thai.

Westerner's here in Thailand are a mix of those who prefer to hang with other westerners and those who choose to just associate with Thai's. I think we can all be civil to each other, but we don't have to engage every Farang we encounter. I have witnessed when my Thai partner and I travel to the west that indeed he engages other Thai's. Nothing more than Sawadee or whatever. Smaller gene pool! We have met some great people because he is not shy. Would I do it in the west, no! Would I do it here, probably no! I might smile, nod and on ocassion say hello, but that is my choice.

Now for any of you who are interested in becoming part of a group of Gay Retirees, check out the Forum. This is a social group, not a sex group. Mainly for men and women who are Gay, retired and may want mutual social support. It's open to anyone of like mind. We will meet soon here in Bangkok and if your interested go to the forum. We have some very interesting people who are part of this group and you're welcome to be part of it if you can be respectfull and leave your attitude at the door.

Cheers

I'll pass. smile.png

Bxllxcks transam, bet you've already sent a pm for details.
  • Like 1

learn to be self sufficient....I am sometimes for a week or 2 in the south in my wifes house complete alone (she is in BKK) I have some repair work to do.

No communication with anyone, not leaving the house.....no problem

Not much repair work getting done, your'e on here a lot. Just kidding my friend...thumbsup.gif

If I had to choose between spending time with a Farang or being with a dog, the latter would win hands down.

I'm pretty much the same, I enjoy the company of my thai family and nieghbours, if I wanted to surround myself with farangs I would not come to Thailand.

Someone who has a job here with a multi nat, or similar, but I'll include teachers in my definition.

I don't include retirees, long term holiday makers or those here chancing their arms.

I don't see what you've got against lion tamers and alligator wranglers. Jane would have been a goner for sure countless times if Tarzan hadn't chanced his arm with the crocodiles so regularly.

Interestingly there is no place for arm-chancers in this forum (other than the jobs and business fora, obviously)

SC

Someone who has a job here with a multi nat, or similar, but I'll include teachers in my definition.

I don't include retirees, long term holiday makers or those here chancing their arms.

I think you're wrong. Expatriates by definition are people who are living (patriated) ex their home country.

There is no assumption they have to be working here, just living.

I've never been much in need of a large group of friends, preferring the company of my family, but from time to time it becomes necessary to reinforce the reasoning on why exactly do I prefer family. A quick browse through the new posts in TVF usually does the trick, so I don't even have to venture out into the world of nightly wonders at Pattaya. OP's problem might just be that there are quite a few farangs such as myself, who don't have any cravings for interaction with people sharing their own background.

That said, for some oddball reason I have indeed made non-thai friends here, at a rate of about one per year, each of different nationality. Go figure.

If I had to choose between spending time with a Farang or being with a dog, the latter would win hands down.

Many a farang has certainly done just that.

Many a farang has certainly done just that.

Seconded. whistling.gif

I would like to know your dogs opinion on this matter. coffee1.gif

It might surprise you....or, maybe not.

• Like 1

Woof Woof,

and l couldn't agree more. smile.png

• Like 1

Then - to compound matters - you live in Phrae!

Seriously, it's like deciding to go and live in Dubai and complaining that it never snows.

I have never visited Dubai, but spent many pleasant days and evenings in Phrae. It's a very clean little city with nature all around. And the gai-yang place on the hill north of town has one of the most spectacular views in Thailand.

Interestingly there is no place for arm-chancers in this forum (other than the jobs and business fora, obviously)

Sorry, I tried googling, what is the meaning of "chancing of arms", particularly as a reason to be in Thailand? Is it an Aussie phrase or UK?

Seriously, it's like deciding to go and live in Dubai and complaining that it never snows.

And the gai-yang place on the hill north of town has one of the most spectacular views in Thailand.

grilled chicken ?

Edited by wana

And the gai-yang place on the hill north of town has one of the most spectacular views in Thailand.

grilled chicken ?

Yes, a series of shops just off the highway. Chicken is good, view is better.

I have never visited Dubai, but spent many pleasant days and evenings in Phrae. It's a very clean little city with nature all around. And the gai-yang place on the hill north of town has one of the most spectacular views in Thailand.

My kids love the skiing in Dubai.

SC

I spent enough time working and dealing with oddballs and tossers day in, day out , to last a lifetime here

thumbsup.gif

so,you were a accountant then ? rolleyes.gif

I'd assumed he was a professional cricketer, using trade jargon.

• Like 1

Im glad to see this issue come up again, i never tire of it, it reminds me of another good reason i am here and why i prefer not to go home in a hurry.

When just about every farang you see purposely looks down, or away, when you approach (even from far walking distance) its obvious they must have some problems within themselves if the thought of having to reciprocate or even merely acknowledge another human being is such a big problem.

Its not like the guy is gonna ask you for a blood transfusion or pull your teeth out.

When i am walking down the street a huge number of Thais catch my eye and offer smile, for no apparent reason. I have no reason not to reciprocate, its not a hard thing.

It may even help counteract some of the bullshite you read about the evil Thais on websites. In some cases, if you are open to it, it could even have the effect of bringing a little light into a dull day.

But its Ok, im glad i left the majority of these sorts of people back in my own country. Actually, I hope the majority of them stay over there.

I spent enough time working and dealing with oddballs and tossers day in, day out , to last a lifetime here

thumbsup.gif

Either you meet a different "just about every farang" from me, or its something specific to you.

I have really never noticed this.

Though to be fair, when I am walking down Soi Cowboy, I don't try and meet the eye of fellow foreigners, as sometimes it appears that some of them have been drinking

SC

Though to be fair, when I am walking down Soi Cowboy, I don't try and meet the eye of fellow foreigners, as sometimes it appears that some of them have been drinking

SC

In our sobriety, you and I may consider a stroll down Soi Cowboy to be an innocent and strictly recreational pursuit.

But other gentlemen think differently. Other gentlemen often view their strolls as a prelude to a range of rather questionable business activities.

Always try to remember that work is the curse of the drinking classes.

PS. Am I allowed to embolden your quote? I hope I haven't contravened Forum Rule 28/5 para 4.

learn to be self sufficient....I am sometimes for a week or 2 in the south in my wifes house complete alone (she is in BKK) I have some repair work to do.

No communication with anyone, not leaving the house.....no problem

nearing 9000 posts and no contact with anyone .......smile.png

what about nearing 18,000 posts and no steady local contacts? huh.png

Arrogance's a bitch isn't it?

Have now fully retired on a generous pension and a healthy bank account, can live with peace of mind in Thailand 100% legal with no concerns or the need to look over my shoulder to see who is watching me. I can walk into Immigration once a year for my visa extension and all done within 20 minutes. I am by no means rich, but do believe I did everything the right way and for this reason I feel quite proud of myself, so I’m blowing my own trumpet here.

You must be using a different immigration office to me, 5 hours wait in the queue to see the immigration officer, 15 minutes for extension.

Thai immigration offices don't generally take kindly to farangs living off their Thai partners.