Anudith Denies Forcing Panel To Okay First Lot Of Computer Tablets: Thailand

webfact

Anudith denies forcing panel to okay first lot of tablets

SAOWANEE NIMPANPAYUNGWONG,

WANNAPA KHAOPA

THE NATION

30184124-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Some tablets were found to have a problem with the drag-and-drop function during inspection of the first batch of 2,000 units, a source from the Education Ministry said yesterday.

Officials were dispatched to China to work with the manufacturer, Shenzhen Scope Scientific Development, and the problem has been solved, the source said.

Information and Communication Technology Minister Anudith Nakornthap yesterday denied a news report that he had forced the quality-check committee to approve the quality of the first batch so that the Chinese company could produce another 400,000 tablets and hand them over to the government by July 10, as stated in the contact.

"We cannot force any government officials appointed to work as the committee's members to approve the tablets' quality. They must judge the quality and specifications based on the terms of reference. Who would dare to do it wrongly and accept jail punishment just to please politicians? I myself have never forced them to do so."

Previous news reports said the committee had not approved the first batch's quality for three reasons: the drag-and-drop function was a problem when using the science subject application; the adapters have two prongs, instead of an additional one for a ground connection; and the panel had not received a document guaranteeing the level of radiation emission.

Anudith said only the committee itself could say whether it had signed off on quality approval.

On the adapter issue, he said the terms of reference did not specify the number of prongs, only that the adapters be suitable to the Thai electrical system.

He has not received any reports about a problem with the drag-and-drop function or the radiation-emission guarantee, he added.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-06-14

"It wasn't me, it was the committee, why would I ever take an interest, in a major ICT-project ? wink.png

Isn't it nice to see a minister, of any party, showing loyalty and support for his people, and showing such an active interest in his area-of-responsibility, heartwarming really. rolleyes.gif

On the adapter issue, he said the terms of reference did not specify the number of prongs, only that the adapters be suitable to the Thai electrical system.

So in a lot of cases the adapter will grab electricity out of thin air, clever these Chinese. clap2.gif

So in a lot of cases the adapter will grab electricity out of thin air, clever these Chinese. clap2.gif

Now that's what I call 'power to the people' ! wai.gif

Looking at the logo on the top of the tablet shown and a similar print of the box in the background I can only assume that we're still on the OTPC = One Tablet Per Child

14th of June, 105 done, only a few more to go

Looking at the logo on the top of the tablet shown and a similar print of the box in the background I can only assume that we're still on the OTPC = One Tablet Per Child

The latest scandal involved with this scam aside, to be more factual, the logo on the tablet needs changing to

OTP12C

one tablet per 12 children

Edited by Buchholz
  • Like 1

You will notice on the large box a warning sticker with a wineglass, universal symbol for "Fragile". The item is then removed from the box, removed from its styrofoam bed, and handed to a 6yo. blink.png

BTW Universal does not cover Sri Lanka apparently. Some years back I travelled with Air Lanka, placing an item covered with wineglass drawings in fragile baggage, only to witness it thrown about 3m from atop a baggage trolley onto cement, then other bags thrown onto it.

Edited by OzMick

Enter the electrical engineer...

If it is truly double insulated then the lack of an earth "prong" is not a problem. But that is "IF", and an awful lot of devices are sold in Thailand with just live & neutral connectors so this isn't really a big problem.

(And then there's the problem of most homes & schools having been wired by carpenters / bricklayers / Laos illegals / flying monkey's. The guys with any skill sets & knowledge are oversees working to send money home. The electricians left in this country make me cry. And I mean huge sobbing tears.)

A radiation certificate? Given the units and thier flat screen tech this doesn't worry me at all. It's a paper pushing exercise.

No drag and drop? Ah hah! Now this was the real problem, "egg on public face" style. Either it's a huge software glitch or a problem with the screens pressure/electric field sensitivity. If mutiple units failed then its 50/50 for a base cause but I'd lean towards a bad batch of screens with no QA checking pre/post assembly at the factory.

Edited by Narratio
  • Like 1

Enter the electrical engineer...

If it is truly double insulated then the lack of an earth "prong" is not a problem. But that is "IF", and an awful lot of devices are sold in Thailand with just live & neutral connectors so this isn't really a big problem.

(And then there's the problem of most homes & schools having been wired by carpenters / bricklayers / Laos illegals / flying monkey's. The guys with any skill sets & knowledge are oversees working to send money home. The electricians left in this country make me cry. And I mean huge sobbing tears.)

A radiation certificate? Given the units and thier flat screen tech this doesn't worry me at all. It's a paper pushing exercise.

No drag and drop? Ah hah! Now this was the real problem, "egg on public face" style. Either it's a huge software glitch or a problem with the screens pressure/electric field sensitivity. If mutiple units failed then its 50/50 for a base cause but I'd lean towards a bad batch of screens with no QA checking pre/post assembly at the factory.

"No drag and drop?"

Ah! I must have misheard.

I was under the illusion that Khun Tiida was about to give birth.

• Like 1

The other paper describes the drag and drop issue as a software issue that affects 100,000 of the tablets manufactured so far.

They will require reloading and delays in receiving.

The adaptor issue would be a problem if the children are going to take the tablets home. Most homes in rural areas will not accept three pin plugs. I have seen many plugs with the third pin sawn off!!

The electrician who wired my new house didnt understand the third wire of the cable I had purchased so removed it. However It came in useful for running earthing wires from the washing machine etc out through holes in the wall.

I can hardly wait for a TV member to get their hands one of these tablets through their child. Would be nice to know if they really work. So far all the info about them has come through the government. Not really a good source after the GT2000 bomb detector scandal.... :-) I actually hope they work and are a benefit to Thai children..

I can hardly wait for a TV member to get their hands one of these tablets through their child. Would be nice to know if they really work. So far all the info about them has come through the government. Not really a good source after the GT2000 bomb detector scandal.... :-) I actually hope they work and are a benefit to Thai children..

That could be a long long long time from now.

• 3 months later...

Anudith Denies Forcing Panel To Okay First Lot Of Computer Tablets: Thailand

30184124-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Some tablets were found to have a problem with the drag-and-drop function during inspection of the first batch of 2,000 units, a source from the Education Ministry said yesterday.

Seems there's been a new problem developing with the OTP10C tablets....

They can't seem to open the boxes depicted above...

Students' tablets still in boxes

NAKHON RATCHASIMA: -- Most first graders in Nakhon Ratchasima have not used their PC tablets for studying even though the devices were delivered to their schools a month ago, according to a survey by a reporter.

More than 3,600 tablets are now available at schools in Muang district under the Nakhon Ratchasima Primary Educational Service Area Office 1's supervision.

The schools decided to leave the tablets in their boxes because of many reasons. Their teachers have not been trained on how to use them to teach in class. The Internet connections for the tablets are not ready. A meeting of the schools and school committees and parents to forge understanding among the stakeholders has not taken place. And the schools are ready to close for semester break.

The schools decided to leave the tablets in their boxes because of many reasons. Their teachers have not been trained on how to use them to teach in class. The Internet connections for the tablets are not ready. A meeting of the schools and school committees and parents to forge understanding among the stakeholders has not taken place. And the schools are ready to close for semester break.

Ah, but things are in progress, 'election promise' fulfilled, 'mission accomplished', next ermm.gif

Ah, but things are in progress, 'election promise' fulfilled, 'mission accomplished', next ermm.gif

Have then all been delivered yet?

Last I counted (August, 2012) we had about 200,000 received from the supplier, but needing check, repackaging, delivery to schools.

Totally unimportant as one of our dear departed member once remarked (regarding 300Baht/day), the government started the policy, that's what counts wink.png

Last I counted (August, 2012) we had about 200,000 received from the supplier, but needing check, repackaging, delivery to schools.

Totally unimportant as one of our dear departed member once remarked (regarding 300Baht/day), the government started the policy, that's what counts wink.png

perhaps as part of that repackaging, they could address the inaccuracy that the pledged 11 million children will not be receiving a tablet.... only about 1 in 10 will.

accuracyotpc.jpg

First semester almost finished. By the time the second semester (i.e. end of school year) is finished at least 'most' of the P1 kids may have a tabletPC as fast as the project is progressing. well at least this buy more time to put tyhe infrastructure right, teach the teachers, etc., etc.

We do what we can, next year will be better, promise