Did Clint Eastwood Lose The Plot At Romney's Convention?

webfact

Did Clint Eastwood lose the plot at Romney's convention?

Republicans may have made Mitt Romney's day with the presidential nomination he long sought, but it was Dirty Harry himself who nearly hijacked the show with a rambling diatribe against President Barack Obama - addressed to an empty chair.

Hollywood icon Clint Eastwood brought his star power and trademark gravelly voice to the stage of the convention hall in Tampa on Thursday, jetting in as a surprise last-minute speaker to warm up the crowd for Romney's acceptance speech.

Eastwood's cameo appearance, including an ad-libbed monologue with an imaginary Obama in an empty chair, seemed to thrill many in the audience, but was widely panned by observers across the political spectrum.

"Clint, my hero, is coming across as sad and pathetic," legendary Chicago film critic Roger Ebert said in a message on Twitter.com. "He didn't need to do this to himself."

The 82-year-old Academy Award-winning director and actor, who endorsed Romney earlier this month, strode to the podium serenaded by the theme music from his classic western, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

Full story/Video: http://www.smh.com.a...0831-254sv.html

-- Sydney Morning Herald 2012-08-31

footer_n.gif

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lose the plot?

1) No self-respecting American would even talk like that. Which leads us to:

2) Who in the US cares what a newspaper in Australia says about anything having to do the the US presidential election? Let me help you out: NO ONE.

Why is it that non-Americans get diarrhea of the mouth (pen) when talking about US politics?

Because US political decisions sometimes have global consequences that also impact their allies. That's why media in the likes of Australia follow American politics fairly closely. There has now been 38 Australian soldiers killed in Afghanistan - get the picture?

• Like 1

Lose the plot?

2) Who in the US cares what a newspaper in Australia says about anything having to do the the US presidential election? Let me help you out: NO ONE.

Why is it that non-Americans get diarrhea of the mouth (pen) when talking about US politics?

Because for the country that is the "Leader of the free world", they are an international embarrassment?

I would hope that any self-respecting US Citizen could say whatever they liked about politics in their own country. It's supposed to be the land of the free right?

• Like 1

Lose the plot?

Perhaps if Americans had cared a bit more about their impact upon others they would not have fallen into such a foreign relations predicament. The USA went from its heyday JFK era from being admired, loved and respected to loathed and hated during the last Bush administration.

US politics have an impact upon Australians because it seems that US foreign policy can result in Australian military personnel dying in dumps like Afghanistan. The next time the USA sounds the alarm, it may find that even its staunchest allies say, not this time Bubba. In today's world, the USA cannot go it alone. It's economy is dependent upon Canada and Mexico. The day either of those countries turn off the energy supply, the USA collapses. The day Australia says, sorry chum, you can't use our facilities or assets to spy on China anymore, the US pacific defence strategy falls apart. Bet you didn't know that the largest export market for the USA is Canada, and that the more the USA attempts to impose trade barriers, the greater the likelihood that the US exposrt market will suffer in return causing tens of thousands of high paying jobs to be lost. This isn't 1950 and the world has changed.

Who has the largest economy? California, Mexico or Canada?

• Like 1

Ahh don't we all love the European penis envy. Big bad America WE WANT CHINA! Tell you what stop using our sciences, our technology our military to protect the pacific rim. We would be more than happy to give you guys back to Japan if a few Aussie deaths are not worth the sacrifice America made in the Pacific during WW2. don't buy our bonds and whatever you "PLEASE" innovate something more than a large beer can and colorful "rustics". Are you really that retarded to think the US does not have oil? Really? Why use our oil when we can use someone elses? Educate yourself slappy we get very little oil from the Middle east we are there to protect the world oil supply if we were there to steal the oil it sure seems like a crap deal because we pay the same price as all you mooks who don't pay a dime to protect a strategic resource. http://en.wikipedia...._shale_reserves

JFK was the heyday LOL Actually I think it would be Eisenhower followed by Reagan followed by Clinton. Bush at least proscribed to the carry a big stick Teddy Roosevelt mentality. The US has lost more respect under Obama due to him being the great waffler in chief. I am not talking about what Europeans think because lets face it you guys can't even keep a union together or solve problems in your own back yard without US intervention. Our enemies are who we care about. So if you think Iran having nuclear weapons is a good idea *golf clap* Maybe the US can make a deal with them our navel power their oil screw everyone else lets make lots of money!

I believe the total Australian deaths in the Pacific war was around 15,000 out of a population of 7,000,000 - more than a few. US deaths were around 100,000 from a population of 113,000,000. The materials provided to support it's allies such as the UK all had to be paid for. if foriegn countries didn't buy US bonds right now the US economy would be

Ahh don't we all love the European penis envy. Big bad America WE WANT CHINA! Tell you what stop using our sciences, our technology our military to protect the pacific rim. We would be more than happy to give you guys back to Japan if a few Aussie deaths are not worth the sacrifice America made in the Pacific during WW2. don't buy our bonds and whatever you "PLEASE" innovate something more than a large beer can and colorful "rustics". Are you really that retarded to think the US does not have oil? Really? Why use our oil when we can use someone elses? Educate yourself slappy we get very little oil from the Middle east we are there to protect the world oil supply if we were there to steal the oil it sure seems like a crap deal because we pay the same price as all you mooks who don't pay a dime to protect a strategic resource. http://en.wikipedia...._shale_reserves

JFK was the heyday LOL Actually I think it would be Eisenhower followed by Reagan followed by Clinton. Bush at least proscribed to the carry a big stick Teddy Roosevelt mentality. The US has lost more respect under Obama due to him being the great waffler in chief. I am not talking about what Europeans think because lets face it you guys can't even keep a union together or solve problems in your own back yard without US intervention. Our enemies are who we care about. So if you think Iran having nuclear weapons is a good idea *golf clap* Maybe the US can make a deal with them our navel power their oil screw everyone else lets make lots of money!

Australia had around 10,000 deaths in the Pacific and the US approx 100,000 with a population 14 times that of Australia, so it wasn't a few deaths. If the world stopped buying US bonds to service US debt requirements the US economy would be buggered.

Lose the plot?

Johnsonspot hit the nail on the head when describing Americans' attitude for the rest of the world when he said, "Who in the US cares what a newspaper in Australia says about anything having to do the the US presidential election? Let me help you out: NO ONE."

He's absolutely right that Americans don't care about any other people or any other country in the world. To US Americans, the USA and ONLY the USA is the world. The rest of the more than 200 nations on Earth are there only to be violently exploited for America's hyper-consumerism when it suits them.

Unfortunately, the USA is an extremely dangerous rouge nation, so YES Johnsonspot, the terrified masses around the world are very concerned about US politics and where their armed forces will strike and destroy next. You refer to people with questions and opinions about US politics as those having verbal diarrhea, and I can understand why US citizens would want to belittle anybody who attempts to understand their politics and politicians. After all, the USA has become the most loathed country in the world, probably faster than any other nation in history.

But getting to the point of the OP, I have lost all respect for Clint Eastwood. He made a pathetic fool of himself, and the RNC people must feel like complete idiots for allowing Eastwood to ramble on and on and on in such a childish and ridiculous manner. Nobody was the winner in that awful display.

But what does it matter, anyway? Obama has proven that it makes absolutely no difference if a person votes Red or Blue. Almost everybody will agree that Bush Jr. was a most dangerous and worst president in US history. When Obama was elected, the world gave a collective sigh of relief, sure that something would be done to help repair the damage done by Bush's unjustified invasions, conflicts and general injustices. But after 4 years, the global-US picture remains the same, and in truth more troops were sent to Afghanistan by Obama than Bush.

Is this thread about Bush?

Tell you what stop using our sciences, our technology our military to protect the pacific rim.

without wanting to turn this into the normal Anglo/Amerian p*ssing match...

Wasnt the US's space program developed by Nazi's they imported ?....carry on waving your flag buddy....

the US has a lot of blood on its hand and nothing to do with being the moral policemen of the world, wasnt the the current troubles in Afghanistan caused in part by the US, wherein they supported/funded the people they are now called terrorists the Taliban when they were fighting the Russians ?...did they not supply nice little toys like stinger missiles etc...Wasnt bin laden trained by the CIA ?

Lets talk about Iraq....Bush & Sadaam Hussien....best buddies at one time !

and I can't wait for the next exciting installment when they start getting stuck into Iran

Think the old biblical text applies a lot in US foreign policy....reap what ya sow

"Lets talk about Iraq....Bush & Sadaam Hussien....best buddies at one time !"

Lets not. Not everyone hates the US today.

Poor guy, it certainly was bizarre. He is 82 years old though. "Go ahead, make my, um, oh". Senility hits us all at some point.

At one point, Eastwood said he "never thought it was a good idea for attorneys to be president," apparently unaware that Romney holds a law degree.

Despite Eastwood's Republican affiliation, many of his views differ with the party. Though he has described himself as a fiscal conservative, he backs gay marriage, favors gun control and abortion rights and supports environmental causes.

“The demographics race we’re losing badly,” said Sen. Lindsey O. Graham (S.C.). “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

Edited by lomatopo
  • Like 2

OK back on topic. Can anyone of the posters of this thread who have trashed Clint and his speech tell us anything he said that was not true? If so please elaborate for discussion sake. Sure it was a little rambling at times but what was wrong with the core message?

To answer that would imply they had read or seen the speech. Highly unlikely but both are available, google is your friend. I listened. He was not too bad. Not a

moment.
  • Like 1

Lose the plot?

Johnsonspot hit the nail on the head when describing Americans' attitude for the rest of the world when he said, "Who in the US cares what a newspaper in Australia says about anything having to do the the US presidential election? Let me help you out: NO ONE."

He's absolutely right that Americans don't care about any other people or any other country in the world. To US Americans, the USA and ONLY the USA is the world. The rest of the more than 200 nations on Earth are there only to be violently exploited for America's hyper-consumerism when it suits them.

Unfortunately, the USA is an extremely dangerous rouge nation, so YES Johnsonspot, the terrified masses around the world are very concerned about US politics and where their armed forces will strike and destroy next. You refer to people with questions and opinions about US politics as those having verbal diarrhea, and I can understand why US citizens would want to belittle anybody who attempts to understand their politics and politicians. After all, the USA has become the most loathed country in the world, probably faster than any other nation in history.

But getting to the point of the OP, I have lost all respect for Clint Eastwood. He made a pathetic fool of himself, and the RNC people must feel like complete idiots for allowing Eastwood to ramble on and on and on in such a childish and ridiculous manner. Nobody was the winner in that awful display.

But what does it matter, anyway? Obama has proven that it makes absolutely no difference if a person votes Red or Blue. Almost everybody will agree that Bush Jr. was a most dangerous and worst president in US history. When Obama was elected, the world gave a collective sigh of relief, sure that something would be done to help repair the damage done by Bush's unjustified invasions, conflicts and general injustices. But after 4 years, the global-US picture remains the same, and in truth more troops were sent to Afghanistan by Obama than Bush.

Is this thread about Bush?

Gee, let's see. My post was 5 paragraphs, and Bush is mentioned in ONE of them, so I think any reasonably intelligent person could tell that, NO, the thread isn't about Bush, and neither is my post.

It seems that chiangmaikelly desperately wanted to say something negative about my post but could think of anything of intelligence or substance.

Edited by Wavefloater