Motorcycle Thefts

beengonetoolong

No and no to booth your questions but you are in Thailand hub of stolen motorbikes as afew would say. I do not think as bad as Pattaya but just be carefull where you park it. I will not ride my PCX to the airport plaza or any other big venue. Red taxi easy to catch around Chiang Mai gate.

I caught someone checking out my cbr250 in a Tesco car park a while ago. He was talking on his phone to someone to come quick and pick it up. Didn't realise I was walking up behind him and nearly shat himself when he saw me and did a runner.

Big chain and alarm may slow the cnuts down for a while.

No and no to booth your questions but you are in Thailand hub of stolen motorbikes as afew would say. I do not think as bad as Pattaya but just be carefull where you park it. I will not ride my PCX to the airport plaza or any other big venue. Red taxi easy to catch around Chiang Mai gate.

Try New York. That's a bigger hub.

• Like 1

I've had my helmet stolen whilst my bike was parked in my condo underground parking lot!?

the manager said someone probably "borrowed" it

that was 4 months ago and it still hasnt been returned!

if you've got a good helmet lock it up, if it's a cheap one then don't bother

All the newer bikes have room to put yout helmet under the seat!!

I've had my helmet stolen whilst my bike was parked in my condo underground parking lot!?

the manager said someone probably "borrowed" it

that was 4 months ago and it still hasnt been returned!

if you've got a good helmet lock it up, if it's a cheap one then don't bother

All the newer bikes have room to put yout helmet under the seat!!

Maybe he has a motorcycle and not a "scooter". If he has a "scooter'', perhaps it's an older model. smile.png

I had the two rubber covers over the footpads of my Honda stolen about 8 months ago in Bangkok. I replaced them.

After I was in Chiang Mai for about 3 months, I went to the Saturday morning walking market and parked my bike on a main road. I came back 2 hours later and one of the rubber footpads had been stolen (they are really hard to get off too because it is a snug fit, just like most rubbers and apologies for the pun).

I suspect the thief in the first case (in Bangkok) was a professional who resold them; in the second case, probably a guy who just needed a rubber padding. Oh, I also had my mirror stolen in Bangkok about 8 years ago after I parked at a Lotus store (attendant present too); on Hondas, these come off easily simply by unscrewing them.

When I took my bike, a Honda Wave, to a mechanic for an oil change here in CM, he said to be very careful because that type of bike is at the top of the list for the Burmese theft rings. The Honda Shop near the airport told me the same thing. So I bought a U type locking device made by Honda; it's made of heavy gauge steel and easy to lock and unlock. Sells for about B 300. You stick the "U" between the forks of your front wheel and the closing bar locks.

Edited by TheVicar

When I took my bike, a Honda Wave, to a mechanic for an oil change here in CM, he said to be very careful because that type of bike is at the top of the list for the Burmese theft rings.

A Thai would say that. What you really need to worry about is theft by you know who.

5 Year a go, the still in the back of spicy my brand new scooter 300kmwai2.gifcheesy.gif my fault was not looked whit one BIG look .

Eh? No offence, and I'm no English police, but I don't think I could get words that jumbled up if I had my head removed and hands swapped over even. tongue.png

I have left/forgot my keys in the bikes ignition no less than 3x this month :)

One day at Airport Mall for a few hours.

as I was walking back & realized I had forgot the key..again

I thought oh boy gone for sure. Oh well I thought if it is I have theft insurance

but how will I get in my condo with no key :)

But no there it was parked right by the main walkway with key dangling.

I need to get over this problem of leaving the key:)

Problem is it needs to be in to open the seat & store the helmet

That is how I forget it after closing the seat.

Anyway either lucky or theft is not that common.

As it is a nice new bike.

The Honda Shop near the airport told me the same thing. So I bought a U type locking device made by Honda; it's made of heavy gauge steel and easy to lock and unlock. Sells for about B 300. You stick the "U" between the forks of your front wheel and the closing bar locks.

That's the way to do it. Too much hassle for the thieves so they move onto an easier bike.

Me too. Left the key in at airport plaza, Loi Kroh, some dark lonely street, and other places. No problem.

But now I don't allow myself to remove the helmet until the key is in my pocket.

Good idea

I need to get into that habit since I'm sure can lock the steering with the seat open.

THEN take off helmet

Thanks

I think it's really wonderful here ha generally things don't get stolen or vandalised, and I have often had people running after me as my ageing brain leaves something somewhere or I overpay.

My bike or motorbike or car would have been stolen ten times over back in England.

That said.....theft does happen occasionally, so be careful, but not obsessive.

When I took my bike, a Honda Wave, to a mechanic for an oil change here in CM, he said to be very careful because that type of bike is at the top of the list for the Burmese theft rings.

A Thai would say that. What you really need to worry about is theft by you know who.

5 Year a go, the still in the back of spicy my brand new scooter 300kmwai2.gifcheesy.gif my fault was not looked whit one BIG look .

Eh? No offence, and I'm no English police, but I don't think I could get words that jumbled up if I had my head removed and hands swapped over even. tongue.png

Maybe I worded it wrongly. The Thai mechanic was indicating that there were indeed Thais working with Burmese gangs to sell stolen motorcycles in Burma.

Edited by TheVicar

i

I've known three people in the last two years that had motorcycles stolen. All of them were after dark in the busy parts of CM. We also were herded to the card lot at the Hang Dong Big C last year by a security guard that claimed they had six motorcycles stolen the day prior in broad daylight.

• 10 months later...

Oppps on side note its the first thing i get replaced when i buy a 2nd hand mbike--new ignition-250 bt

Thats a good idea. But thieves stole my bike in Pattaya by pushing it away (with a honda wave)

Hope you got a good disc lock and chain to immobilise the bike...

what's so special about a pcx. why would anybody want to steal it over say a dream

I caught someone checking out my cbr250 in a Tesco car park a while ago. He was talking on his phone to someone to come quick and pick it up. Didn't realise I was walking up behind him and nearly shat himself when he saw me and did a runner.

I think that you're all paranoid. Who would steal a pcs or cbr wouldn't they go for more expensive or cooler motor scooters

I think that you're all paranoid. Who would steal a pcs or cbr wouldn't they go for more expensive or cooler motor scooters

The PCX and CBR250 are beyond the price range of most Thais .I dont understand your comment .

get a big lock and chain it will make them think about it first.but bikes do get stolen

Might be better to use a cable rather than a chain. Unless you really get a really biiiiiiiiiig chain, they are too easy for the average tool user to break, and bolt cutters are cheap here in Thailand, and often seen. Cables are much more difficult to cut with usual tools, and very few people have large cable cutters in the back of their trucks. A 1/4" inch cable will take the average worker (without a real cable cutter) 20 minutes to cut through trying to use wire cutters.