Obama Thanks Supporters After Winning Re-Election

News_Editor

Probably today'a last post-election news release not being covered by the MSM.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PICKET: Companies plan massive layoffs as Obamacare becomes reality

By Kerry Picket - The Washington TimesNovember 8, 2012, 09:52PM

From the article...

Welch Allyn

Welch Allyn, a company that manufactures medical diagnostic equipment in central New York, announced in September that they would be laying off 275 employees, or roughly 10% of their workforce over the next three years. One of the major reasons discussed for the layoffs was a proactive response to the Medical Device Tax mandated by the new healthcare law.

Dana Holding Corp.

As recently as a week ago, a global auto parts manufacturing company in Ohio known as Dana Holding Corp., warned their employees of potential layoffs, citing "$24 million over the next six years in additional U.S. health care expenses". After laying off several white collar staffers, company insiders have hinted at more to come. The company will have to cover the additional $24 million cost somehow, which will likely equate to numerous cuts in their current workforce of 25,500 worldwide.

Stryker

One of the biggest medical device manufacturers in the world, Stryker will close their facility in Orchard Park, New York, eliminating 96 jobs in December. Worse, they plan on countering the medical device tax in Obamacare by slashing 5% of their global workforce - an estimated 1,170 positions.

Read more: http://www.washingto...s-obamacare-be/

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, I have great hopes for President Obama's second term!

We know he is going for legacy and has the ego to try to be a GREAT president. Now he has the chance.

We all hope for such an optimistic forecast. You can remember the days when we had such respect and reverence for our President, that when the election was over, even if we didn't vote for him, we all got behind him. I'll never forget being in I think it was maybe 1st or 2nd grade when Kennedy was shot. I grew up in a highly conservative state and city. I'll never forget standing around the flagpole and the entire school, principal, teachers, students all were weeping.

I guess we will never get back to that kind of patriotism again. Sad.

• Like 1

The longer you post here the more you will discover that American conservatives are considered the lowest form of animal life.

I see. That is truly sad. Heck I'm still somewhat liberal (libertarian left) but I can respect other people's opinion and not insult them for having an opinion different than mine.

I miss the days when we could show our support for a candidate and not risk being physically attacked. I thought that only happened in banana republics.

Sometimes I have no choice when, for instance, the main streat media fails to cover current news that might be detrimental to Obama, i.e. Fast and Furious, Benghazi, etc.

In response to your original question whether conservatives can post an opinion...the answer is "yes" but even though it is an honest opinion, it will be attacked.

I celebrate my 10th year as a member of this forum on 11/26/12 and grow more and more disappointed with the rancor and anger that has

overtaken the camaraderie and amity we once had. Sadlly I have joined in the rancor and anger too often lately, a fact that I am not proud of.

However, it is what it is.

Good posts on your part, by the way.

Thanks a lot. I enjoy reading your post as well.

You are correct that Fox is sometimes the only major news outlet that covers stories that may make Obama look less than angelic.

Edited by 3SoiDogNight

I don't find that entertaining. I just want to get the news and find out what's going on in the world. Believe it or not, my favorite news source is N.P.R.. Yes the left-leaning government funded National Public Radio is my favorite because they go far in to depth of a given subject. I like my news to be boring and mono-tone.

If you are arguing that democratic voters are more ignorant and more poorly informed than republican voters, I don't think you can possibly prove it. An inflammatory video aimed to make a point about one side certainly doesn't.

If you read the context in which I posted the video, I was showing that there are a lot of ignorant, mis-educated people on the Obama side. The perception of Romney supporters by a lot of liberals and Europeans is that they're all ignorant, Bible-thumping rednecks and that Obama supporters are all somehow enlightened. I just had to burst a few people out of their happy bubble and show them some facts.

There are many millions of ignorant, low informed voters on BOTH sides.

And people like Chris Matthews are definitely just as bad.

My gosh, Chris Matthews is un-watchable!

He is the most annoying, incoherent, crybaby I've ever seen. He reminds me of a kid that grew up on my street that wet his bed well in to his teens. I felt sorry for him as he had a disability but he whined all the time, wouldn't let you have a word in any discussion, would cut you off all the time and shout you down. It was his defense mechanism because he was ashamed of his bed wetting problem. I seriously think Chris Matthews has some sort of mental disability that has nothing to do with his politics.

Then there are the other clowns such as Soledad O'Brien, Jon Stewart, Andrea Mitchell, Ed Schultz, Dan Lothian just to name a few.

I don't find that entertaining. I just want to get the news and find out what's going on in the world. Believe it or not, my favorite news source is N.P.R.. Yes the left-leaning government funded National Public Radio is my favorite because they go far in to depth of a given subject. I like my news to be boring and mono-tone.

If you are arguing that democratic voters are more ignorant and more poorly informed than republican voters, I don't think you can possibly prove it. An inflammatory video aimed to make a point about one side certainly doesn't.

If you read the context in which I posted the video, I was showing that there are a lot of ignorant, mis-educated people on the Obama side. The perception of Romney supporters by a lot of liberals and Europeans is that they're all ignorant, Bible-thumping rednecks and that Obama supporters are all somehow enlightened. I just had to burst a few people out of their happy bubble and show them some facts.

There are many millions of ignorant, low informed voters on BOTH sides.

He is the most annoying, incoherent, crybaby I've ever seen. He reminds me of a kid that grew up on my street that wet his bed well in to his teens. I felt sorry for him as he had a disability but he whined all the time, wouldn't let you have a word in any discussion, would cut you off all the time and shout you down. It was his defense mechanism because he was ashamed of his bed wetting problem. I seriously think Chris Matthews has some sort of mental disability that has nothing to do with his politics.

Then there are the other clowns such as Soledad O'Brien, Jon Stewart, Andrea Mitchell, Ed Schultz, Dan Lothian just to name a few.

Have you seen wide-awake news ?

They even have the courage to say that neither Romney or Obama can actually solve the enormous problems that lie ahead ( not without a corresponding change in the attitudes of the electorate ) and he explains why…

Greg Gutman takes some beating. He's like Matthews on yaba.

I seldom quote them since I know what derision will come from the liberal side by using it.

Maybe it's changed in nine years, but if you watched it now I think you'd understand why most educated people don't take Fox seriously as a news source.

The problem is that every pinchful of news they put out is obfuscated by bucketloads of manure.

Matthews is not equally bad. his job is to be a pundit. He does it well, and he uses information and facts. He can be in your face, and people can disagree with his conclusions, but he doesn't just make up sh!t.

In terms of the impact on people's level of information, viewers of msnbc, including Rachel Maddow and Hardball are much much much more informed that your Fox viewer... objectively as shown in this pew report.

Maddow was at the top, Comedy Central ranks up there with the Wall St Journal and Fox is right "down" there with USA Today....

http://www.poynter.org/latest-news/mediawire/189819/pew-tv-viewing-habit-grays-as-digital-news-consumption-tops-print-radio/

How well is news informing Americans?

Only 14 percent of the people surveyed could answer all four questions about current events: “which party controls the House of Representatives, the current unemployment rate, the nation that Angela Merkel leads and which presidential candidate favors taxing higher-income Americans. … Most news audiences, however, scored substantially better than the public.”

The best audience: Rachel Maddow’s (38 percent could answer all four questions).

news-questions.jpg

^ Hugo 6, you are a gem, and I hope you stay around here. We could use facts like this and I hope some of the Fox lovers will <deleted>. No surprise about O'Reilly, about the only watchable thing on Fox. Wow, never saw that one before. Pretty funny that CNN is only marginally better than Fox, and both are only a few slots above Jerry Springer. cheesy.gif

Speaking of absolutely hilarious, have you seen this one from Hannity yet?

Just two days after President Barack Obama won a second term, boosted by more than 70 percent of the Latino vote, some Republicans are striking a new tone on illegal immigration.

Conservative Fox News and radio host Sean Hannity said Thursday that his views on immigration have "evolved." Hannity continued:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/sean-hannity-john-boehner-gop-tackle-immigration-reform-142212570--election.html

^ Hugo 6, you are a gem, and I hope you stay around here. We could use facts like this

Someone registers on ThaiVisa to post almost exclusively in this thread.

ahhhh yes not to worry I fully expect you will hear much more from Hugo here ;)

So the shock of the right wing now in the big loss was CREATED by Fox and Romney. They have themselves to blame for that.

Livin' it, laughin' it, lovin' it

What a bunch of little kids they are! Rove must have spent the whole week with Ali.

Fingers crossed Hannity gets picked up for drunk driving this weekend.

We know he is going for legacy and has the ego to try to be a GREAT president. Now he has the chance.

We all hope for such an optimistic forecast. You can remember the days when we had such respect and reverence for our President, that when the election was over, even if we didn't vote for him, we all got behind him. I'll never forget being in I think it was maybe 1st or 2nd grade when Kennedy was shot. I grew up in a highly conservative state and city. I'll never forget standing around the flagpole and the entire school, principal, teachers, students all were weeping.

interesting you posted about reaction to Kennedy's shooting. I was in grade school when the announcement was made. It was the Jewish girls in my class who were most audibly shocked, but then again, there were a lot of jewish kids in my neighborhood (suburb of Wash.D.C.).

The first time I registered to vote (while h.s. age), I did so as Republican. I didn't like Republicans then (Nixon was their top banana at that time), but I thought I could do damage to them from the inside, if I was a member of their party.

interesting you posted about reaction to Kennedy's shooting. I was in grade school when the announcement was made. It was the Jewish girls in my class who were most audibly shocked, but then again, there were a lot of jewish kids in my neighborhood (suburb of Wash.D.C.).

The first time I registered to vote (while h.s. age), I did so as Republican. I didn't like Republicans then (Nixon was their top banana at that time), but I thought I could do damage to them from the inside, if I was a member of their party.

I guess the point I was trying to illustrate, is that I'll bet that entire teaching and admin staff at my school were Republican on that day JFK was shot. The Principal tried to tell us several times what had happened and broke down each time. All the teachers were sobbing, and soon the entire student body. I was just an 8 year old boy then, but the importance of that kind of Presidential respect and blindness of party affiliation became apparent to me later.

Of course I watched Bobby's death on TV too, but much later when watching the attempt on Ronald Reagan, I remember somehow the same feelings didn't seem to be there in the country. Of course it was terrible, and everyone from both parties shared the seriousness of the moment. But, somehow it seemed people no longer cared as much.

But, today, I don't wish to be morbid, but I have the feeling if Pres. Obama were shot, half of the country would be sitting back with folded arms wearing a grim tight-lipped slight smile, perhaps also nodding that justice had been done. It just doesn't feel the same. Maybe it's me.

But, today, I don't wish to be morbid, but I have the feeling if Pres. Obama were shot, half of the country would be sitting back with folded arms wearing a grim tight-lipped slight smile, perhaps also nodding that justice had been done. It just doesn't feel the same. Maybe it's me.

I think you're right. Same with W. Bush.

Interesting comment from David Frum, who used to write speeches for GW; no guesses as to whom he's referring:

“For a generation, a certain brand of political commentator has urged conservatives to think of politics as a form of warfare, and to regard their opponents as enemies. This way of thinking does its severest harm to conservatives themselves. It embitters them, isolates them, alienates them, and perverts their judgment of people and things. It causes them to disparage their most effective leaders and instead elevate those who offer confrontation in place of results. The irony is that by insisting so emphatically on ferocious, militant ideology, the GOP rewards most those who believe the least, because only cynics and nihilists will make the transition from the real world of governance to the make-believe world of party purity tests.”

And "Romney would have made a good president. The people who put concrete shoes on Romney are now the ones blaming him for losing the election".

And from an English commentator, comparing Cameron and Romney:

"Romney always looked far too much like one of the men who got the world economy into this mess to be fully trusted. Just like Cameron. And Romney always looked like an essentially mediocre rich man’s son whose birthright had fast-tracked him to glory. Just like Cameron." Parsons may be overegging his point but both UK Tories and US Republicans share this rich man image problem."
Edited by Chicog

^ Hugo 6, you are a gem, and I hope you stay around here. We could use facts like this and I hope some of the Fox lovers will <deleted>. No surprise about O'Reilly, about the only watchable thing on Fox. Wow, never saw that one before. Pretty funny that CNN is only marginally better than Fox, and both are only a few slots above Jerry Springer. cheesy.gif

Just two days after President Barack Obama won a second term, boosted by more than 70 percent of the Latino vote, some Republicans are striking a new tone on illegal immigration.

Conservative Fox News and radio host Sean Hannity said Thursday that his views on immigration have "evolved." Hannity continued:

http://news.yahoo.co...--election.html

yeah, I heard that one today... amazing. The right could have avoided pissing off all the immigrant minorities who will eventually together form electoral majorities if they had been less condescending, less denigrating, more respectful of other people and a touch more reasonable in their policies.

^ Hugo 6, you are a gem, and I hope you stay around here. We could use facts like this

Someone registers on ThaiVisa to post almost exclusively in this thread.

ahhhh yes not to worry I fully expect you will hear much more from Hugo here wink.png

happens to be an interesting topic, so get a life dude

yeah, I heard that one today... amazing. The right could have avoided pissing off all the immigrant minorities who will eventually together form electoral majorities if they had been less condescending, less denigrating, more respectful of other people and a touch more reasonable in their policies.

Actually, some of the die hard democratic TV pundits have been relatively quiet and not spiking the ball in the aftermath of this devastation for the Republicans. I watched Bill Maher's Friday show, and if anything, he was in more of a mentoring or coaching mode than gloating as he warned that Republicans need to change and adapt to the realities if they want to survive. I also watched his segment on Hard Ball with Chris Mathews. I do not like Mathews at all, and I know he made a big screw up comment on air about Sandy, but he was also subdued, when I expected him to be turning cartwheels.

One thing Maher predicted came true. He said if Democrats win, Comedy loses. His show was not at all funny. I haven't watched the daily show yet, but I hope Fox News gets revved up again or comedy really will suffer.

I think you're right. Same with W. Bush.

I agree. I think the transformation to mutual hate between the parties was complete after Bush invaded Iraq errently, though I don't think that is what caused it. I think a gradual disintegration of civility and loss of reverence for the office of Chief Executive had occurred over many years. I suppose historians might even go back as far as LBJ as the one planting the nasty seeds, then Nixon's transgressions, etc..

Edited by keemapoot

This seems pretty amazing in a state where it just seems like yesterday Republican Governator was leading:

LOS ANGELES (AP) — If the future happens first in California, the Republican Party has a problem.

The nation's most populous state — home to 1 in 8 Americans — has entered a period of Democratic political control so far-reaching that the dwindling number of Republicans in the Legislature are in danger of becoming mere spectators at the statehouse.

Democrats hold the governorship and every other statewide office. They gained even more ground in Tuesday's elections, picking up at least three congressional seats while votes continue to be counted in two other tight races — in one upset, Democrat Raul Ruiz, a Harvard-educated physician who mobilized a district's growing swath of Hispanic voters, pushed out longtime Republican Rep. Mary Bono Mack.

The party also secured a supermajority in one, and possibly both, chambers in the Legislature.

"Republican leaders should look at California and shudder," says Steve Schmidt, who managed John McCain's 2008 campaign and anchored former Republican Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's re-election team in 2006. "The two-party system has collapsed."

I didn't like Republicans then (Nixon was their top banana at that time), but I thought I could do damage to them from the inside, if I was a member of their party.

Now, that's a real knee slapper! cheesy.gif

Obama might think the same about the U.S if his memoirs were written and sealed until some future date.

He said if Democrats win, Comedy loses.

Maybe, but we still have some of the more idiotic, ignorant 'Publican doofii, not limited to The Donald, who are sure to provide plenty of comedic material.

I'm confident the well of Republicans supplying fodder for comics is far from dry.

Actually, some of the die hard democratic TV pundits have been relatively quiet and not spiking the ball in the aftermath of this devastation for the Republicans. I watched Bill Maher's Friday show, and if anything, he was in more of a mentoring or coaching mode than gloating as he warned that Republicans need to change and adapt to the realities if they want to survive. I also watched his segment on Hard Ball with Chris Mathews. I do not like Mathews at all, and I know he made a big screw up comment on air about Sandy, but he was also subdued, when I expected him to be turning cartwheels.

One thing Maher predicted came true. He said if Democrats win, Comedy loses. His show was not at all funny. I haven't watched the daily show yet, but I hope Fox News gets revved up again or comedy really will suffer.

Hahaha "the show was not funny"? Maher and Sullivan along with Carville ridiculed the Republican campaign and the money it wasted, They couldnt buy the election.The "get out the vote" movement hammered them and as far as Foxnews is concerned , as Sullivan said the Republicans need to disavow it and stop pandering to a channel that just preaches to the extreme base and represents old, bigoted, religous zealot America, out of touch and not relevant.

Real Time was one of the best ever!!!!

Edited by KKvampire