The Hit And Run Restaurant "review" Thread

Jingthing

Pizza pizza Avenue mall 69 baht margharita pizza is back. Cotto 99 is gone.

Hippo burger and steak promotion ends last day of May.

Burger set 199.

Plus plus out the wazoo.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Can someone without a vindictive agenda tell me the location of this soon to be restaurant?

Naklua Road.

Think it has replaced what was Buttsy's, near to Antons and The Coffee Club.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I suspected that as I haven't been up there recently.

It's not open yet, right?

Can someone without a vindictive agenda tell me the location of this soon to be restaurant?

Naklua Road.

Jingthing to be honest this must be one of the least vindictive , trolled, threads on Thai Visa- and not hijacked by the usual idiots .

So thanks for that.

Had the set gourmet menu at the Royal Cliff grill room on Wednesday, I know some will think it expensive 950++ , sign up to friends of the Royal Cliff - you will get updates on menus every week or so.

The main course of a huge piece of perfectly cooked cod- ( just done ) wrapped in Parma ham - with lobster sauce was to die for. In London this would cost more than the four courses on offer.

Was at the Wine Cellar at the Poseidon hotel tonight - not bad. Confit de Canard could have been a bit hotter and crispy- never had a good confit here.

Then cow's liver- which was nice, not overcooked - ( I adore lamb's - Chef said you can't get it here)

Anyway a pleasant evening.

Edited by peterb17
  • Like 1

Was really quite impressed by the 'Curry Club' at Shenanigans in Jomtien - near to View Talay 7 .

Us Brits are really spoilt for choice at home and going out for an Indian meal is part of our culture ( usually from Bangladesh - not Indian really)

So back to the restaurant review - not a vast menu- about six starters - we had onion bhajis and lamb tikka- came with four chutneys .

Not bad- lamb tender and quite spicy hot.

Then the menu had the usual offerings, tikka Marsala ,Korma, jalfresi, butter chicken etc etc.

Choice of naans, paratha etc.

Rice was basmati- a pleasant change- huge portion of rice.

Was hot - but we had asked for spicy.

Personally I don't like the venue too much- very pub like , and I can't see the fascination for sport on TV everywhere- but appreciate that some do.

So overall, enjoyed the food- best Indian I have had in Thailand, probably not the most authentic- but if you a Brit missing those dinners out in your local Indian- try it out.

Price wise- I think was 300 for lamb main courses- less for Chicken. I don't really look at prices- so a bit vague - sorry

Am in the area so was looking for somewhere a bit different to eat and came across this. Well the old tastebuds were well and truly tickled so it was into the shower get dressed and on the bus to Jomtien. Got there and the curries were advertised outside so went in and was met by three greeters asked for a seat for and was directed way over the other side of the room. Waited 10 mins nothing so i thought i will move by the greeters, " cant sit there reserved for quiz" so i moved to the nearest empty table. Sat there for another five minutes, still no acknowledgement. Was going to leave but still fancied the curry so I went and asked for a menu, no curries on there!!!!. Where are the curries, no have, what night do you have them then? , no have, no chef, him go back to India!!! GRRRRR!!!!!

So if anyone else fancies one, NO HAVE.

To really cap the night off I stopped at an Italian, been there before for some ice cream. The food was absolute <deleted>.

Edited by williewolf

Was really quite impressed by the 'Curry Club' at Shenanigans in Jomtien - near to View Talay 7 .

Us Brits are really spoilt for choice at home and going out for an Indian meal is part of our culture ( usually from Bangladesh - not Indian really)

So back to the restaurant review - not a vast menu- about six starters - we had onion bhajis and lamb tikka- came with four chutneys .

Not bad- lamb tender and quite spicy hot.

Then the menu had the usual offerings, tikka Marsala ,Korma, jalfresi, butter chicken etc etc.

Choice of naans, paratha etc.

Rice was basmati- a pleasant change- huge portion of rice.

Was hot - but we had asked for spicy.

Personally I don't like the venue too much- very pub like , and I can't see the fascination for sport on TV everywhere- but appreciate that some do.

So overall, enjoyed the food- best Indian I have had in Thailand, probably not the most authentic- but if you a Brit missing those dinners out in your local Indian- try it out.

Price wise- I think was 300 for lamb main courses- less for Chicken. I don't really look at prices- so a bit vague - sorry

Am in the area so was looking for somewhere a bit different to eat and came across this. Well the old tastebuds were well and truly tickled so it was into the shower get dressed and on the bus to Jomtien. Got there and the curries were advertised outside so went in and was met by three greeters asked for a seat for and was directed way over the other side of the room. Waited 10 mins nothing so i thought i will move by the greeters, " cant sit there reserved for quiz" so i moved to the nearest empty table. Sat there for another five minutes, still no acknowledgement. Was going to leave but still fancied the curry so I went and asked for a menu, no curries on there!!!!. Where are the curries, no have, what night do you have them then? , no have, no chef, him go back to India!!! GRRRRR!!!!!

So if anyone else fancies one, NO HAVE.

To really cap the night off I stopped at an Italian, been there before for some ice cream. The food was absolute <deleted>.

Williewolf

Sorry to hear that , and the fact my review sent you on a wild goose chase. It's a real pity as yes the curry club was run by Indians , not Thai chefs.

Will update if I find out the chef has returned.

I presume the Italian was named after a couple of cooking pots? The place is ghastly.

• Like 1

OK, the Hippo place burger and steak promotion is back for this month, daily, and possibly longer. (Central Pattaya beach mall, high floor, beach side.)

This is quite popular and deservedly so, especially the 199 baht burger deal (though it is plus plus).

Edited by Jingthing

Major New Japanese RAMEN restaurant!!!!!

Rozan Ramen

In the Korean / Japanese mall on 2nd road, north of Big C, west side, south of North road ... Burger King on the corner.

This place features 16 kinds of ramen!

On top of that an interesting variety authentic Japanese menu but not strong on sushi.

There are kinds of ramen you've probably never heard of.

Including DRY ramen.

Bring your google device!

The standard size ramen is 195 baht.
You can also purchase smaller or larger sizes.

This restaurant is part of local chain that includes places in Rayong and Si Racha (famous for Japenese expats).

So it's a "real" Japanese restaurant for Japanese tastes. I did have HIGH expectations because it came from Si Racha.

A great feature of this place is that when you order a ramen you have choice of small size "extras" you can purchase ... such as small gyoza order / small donburi, etc.

I enjoyed a regular size Tonkatsu/Miso ramen with a side of rice ball with kale and some gyoza.

It was comparable to the best ramen I've had in Pattaya but sadly did not compare to the best ramen I've had anywhere.

But it was still good.

The broth was a little light for my taste, oddly not salty enough, the noodles (which are not made in house I was told) were not especially toothsome for my taste, and the pork was mostly fat. The extra vegetable stuff on top was luscious though and overall it was quite pleasant and certainly superior to the mass market Thai taste Ramen chains here. I found the portion of noodles smaller than I would expect for a standard size at 195. You order ramen, you want to eat a fair portions of NOODLES, yes?

I loved the rice ball with kale. The gyoza was OK, too greasy for me, so I wouldn't order that again.

I think many people will find the place mildly overpriced ... but only mildly, and I really think this place is worth checking out for Japanese food fans.

A very pleasant strongly flavored cold green tea is included FREE. Yippee!

I will go back to try different varieties of their ramen. I had expected to be more pleased with this place, was hoping to replicate the amazing ramen experiences I had in the U.S. at some the top ramen places there ... but also, it just didn't.

Edited by Jingthing

Yet another IRANIAN BUFFET restaurant. clap2.gif

OK, as far as I know there are now three Iranian BUFFET restaurants in town (on top of their a la carte menus).

Previously mentioned have been the place on 2nd road very close to the famous BOAT restaurant, South Pattaya.

That one is 199, lunch and dinner.

Also previously mentioned is the higher end PARSI place also on 2nd road, west side, north of Pattaya Klang. That place is more expensive and somewhat higher quality.

However, the location is not great and they either seem to be empty or full up with groups, so unpredictable.

The new to me third place is called HATAM.

It is in South Pattaya in back of Tukcom.

So find the road adjacent to Tukcom, east side and go up to the corner of the first major road. Pattaya Saisong 16.

It is called HATAM.

The buffet is very similar to the 199 baht 2nd road place but less extensive and probably less popular.

Open from lunch till late.

I haven't tried yet but I did notice the Ghormeh Sabzi looked pretty good and the place near Boat often doesn't even have Gormeh Sabzi.

So less might be more.

None of the signage is in English except the name HATAM, but language shouldn't be a problem for the buffet.

Hey folks, partytime2.gif

There has GOT to me more people sniffing out the thousands of diverse restaurants in the Pattaya region. Yes?!?

The old, the new, the opening, the closing, the good, the bad, the ugly.

Please add your restaurant review snippets, gossip, and news ...

(Yes, I realize this thread sometimes resembles a Jingthing BLOG ... but don't blame that on me, it doesn't have to be that way if y'all post more here as well. Thanks to all who have done so for years now!)
Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Some ownership change gossip. Unconfirmed.

I have heard the new owner of the semi-expensive (for Pattaya) French restaurant BOURDEAUX in South Pattaya behind Tukcom is now the previous owner the long ago closed Manhattan Steakhouse.

So far the menu is the same.

I'm kind of hoping it changes.

Perhaps more interesting is how very long the Manhattans location has been dark.

I guess the rent must be shockingly high.

Best meal deal in town?:

In both the Central Mall and Big C Extra food courts there is a stall that sells an omelet over rice with and additional dish like Tom kha gai, tomyam or about 8 other choices - all for the princely sum of 55 Baht.

In Big C it's the second to last food stall while in Central it's more in the center.

Edited by MZurf

OK. I revisited Rozan Ramen mentioned before. Things were different this time. Had the won ton mein regular size ramen. This time dramatically more noodles. Also more toothsome than last time. Definitely enough. Also they have a stand outside selling some street food stuff. I had the takoyaki octopus balls 6 for 90 baht and liked them a lot. Overall Rozan Ramen is a keeper. Hopefully they fixed the portion issue I had before. Glad they opened here!

Edited by Jingthing

Restaurant Update.

Sechuan Restaurant

The authentic Sechuan restaurant that I've posted about before in inner Jomtien near Thappraya-Beach road turn, in the soi in back of Country Road bar, has added some new menu items.

The items are pictured and listed in Chinese, Thai, and Chinese alliterated English.

The trouble is even with google I don't understand many of them, but here are the additions, perhaps a Chinese speaker can add more info.

The prices might seem high, but generally the portions are pretty generous "share" size portions and the quality at this place is good.

The new dishes with information that I think I've figured out:

Xihongshi Dun Niunan Tudou 380
tomato, red cooked beef, something else, potato seemingly in a large soupy stew
Qingjiao Rou Si 280
Stir Fried Pork and green peppers
Hongshao Rou 320
Red braised pork
paigu dun tudou doujiao 320
???
Qingcai Chao Niurou 280
Chinese Muslim Stir-Fried Beef And Celery
Hou Tou Gu Chao Roupian 280
???
De San Xian 280
potato eggplant green pepper
Fanqie Chao Dan 180
tomato and eggs

I had my usual there last night, boiled fish in very spicy Sechuan hot pot, 420 baht.

Very good as usual but make sure say you want it spicy and "mala" (with Sechuan peppercorns) or you won't be getting the real deal, and that would be a shame.

Sometimes the place is empty and sometimes has some large tables ... but has ample staff indicating they are busy often enough, so it seems they are doing OK which kind of surprises me but certainly pleases.

I think they could really help themselves by paying a translator to DESCRIBE their dishes in English on their menu. So because they don't I guess this place is in the "adventurous" eaters category. Oh well!

Edited by Jingthing

Naklua Road.

Poor old Buttsy's . Gone but not forgotten.

Bangkok Boat Noodles has opened up on 3rd road,just past soi 18 going towards Big C-10 baht/bowl.

fill yer boots up JT thumbsup.gif

Thanks for that. Don't fancy blood soup much though.

Puts hairs on your chest JT rolleyes.gif

Sorry about your experience at the Italian restaurant with a wise man's name. If you go down the street towards soi 5, there is a place called "Made in Italy" (roughly on the corner of soi 5 near the 7-11). You can order pizza (very good stagione....excellent thin crust) and other pasta items. I love their meat ravioli w/ bolognese sauce, which comes with Italian bread and freshly grated cheese. The place is air-conditioned and the staff are helpful.

Finally came around to try "made in Italy" today, but the place closes at 20:00 !

I'll probably go and try their pizza another day, but the hunt for a pizza place (with normal business hours) remains.

OK, the Hippo place burger and steak promotion is back for this month, daily, and possibly longer. (Central Pattaya beach mall, high floor, beach side.)

This is quite popular and deservedly so, especially the 199 baht burger deal (though it is plus plus).

I went there yesterday and had the 199 burger special. It's really good and since you get two side dishes with the burger it really fills you up. True, they slap on the very annoying 10 % service charge as well as 7 % tax but it was worth it.

Remember to bring your PSC card if you have one as it gives you a 15 % discount.

Naklua Road.

it is open now... went past the day before yesterday. Empty but was invited in. Looks a bit spartan to be honest. Will have a look again soon and see the menu as it is not openly displayed.

• Like 1

I went there yesterday and had the 199 burger special. It's really good and since you get two side dishes with the burger it really fills you up. True, they slap on the very annoying 10 % service charge as well as 7 % tax but it was worth it.

Remember to bring your PSC card if you have one as it gives you a 15 % discount.

. I'm a Good Tipper, I hate Service Charges, bcuz I don't know if it is Distributed or Not, so thanks for the Warning, il Pass, too bad I was Curious...

. I'm a Good Tipper, I hate Service Charges, bcuz I don't know if it is Distributed or Not, so thanks for the Warning, il Pass, too bad I was Curious...

Whats a PSC card ? is it worth it?

What's a PSC card?

What's a PSC card?

Pattaya Sports Club.

Here is a list of all the places where you get a discount with the PSC member card:

http://pattayasports.org/information/discounts/

• Like 1

Jingthing, have you noticed a new Italian Bistro opening on the road down to the beach in Jomtien, double shop house, looks like a bit of money spent there. Poor location I would say

That place does indeed look as though it will be quite expensive, which doesnt really fit the average demographic in Jomtien.

I've lost count of the number of places that have opened and closed along that road over the years. It seems to be kiss of death alley for any business, presumably due to high rent costs and low turnover.

• Like 1

Jingthing, have you noticed a new Italian Bistro opening on the road down to the beach in Jomtien, double shop house, looks like a bit of money spent there. Poor location I would say

Yes I noticed. It looks like it's going to be a higher end place. Sure it could work in that location if the food is good especially if they offer something different than a lot of nearby Italian competition. La Bocca not far away ain't cheap and they seem to be doing well enough. I have also noticed that particular block isn't especially favorable but I really don't think that's the only factor.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Yes I noticed. It looks like it's going to be a higher end place. Sure it could work in that location if the food is good especially if they offer something different than a lot of nearby Italian competition. La Bocca not far away ain't cheap and they seem to be doing well enough. I have also noticed that particular block isn't especially favorable but I really don't think that's the only factor.
. JT, You have been doing a Great Service for TVF Members, I want to personally , Thank You... You should Contact YELP, and become their CEO of Thailand Division or Jingthings Thailand Foodie App or Pattaya Food Addicts App. Thanks Again... Edited by Dannyboy666
  • Like 1