Announce Stance On Terror Funding, Thai Anti-Money Laundering Office Chief Says

webfact

Announce stance on terror funding, AMLO chief says
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Anti-Money Laundering Office will ask the Justice minister to endorse a list of 291 people and firms classified as international terrorists or terror groups by the UN Security Council, the AMLO chief said yesterday.

AMLO secretary-general Sihanart Prayoonrat said the agency had received the list from the Foreign Ministry. It will ask Justice Minister Pracha Promnok to issue an order to endorse the list and announce it.

Sihanart said the terrorists were not Thais but 227 foreigners and 64 foreign firms.

He said the government needs to announce the list so he can inform the next meeting of the Asia/Pacific Group on Money Laundering that Thailand has joined the fight against money laundering by terrorists. This would help to get Thailand off the watch-list, he said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-04-23

UPDATE

300 terrorists in Thailand to be named today

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/634628-announce-stance-on-terror-funding-thai-anti-money-laundering-office-chief-says/#entry6329581

What would help Thailand is if they busted a few Mr. Thai Bigs who were the first point of accountability for those foreign folks on the list. Announcing that the list is in line with the world group does nothing. Everyone is waiting for Thailand to take some action and haul a few Mr. Thai Bigs off in handcuffs for conspiring to conceal illegal money laundering.

Someone or some people working in Thai banks were taking a skim and a vig from the money launderers. The UN world group policing terrorist money laundering knows that Thais were complicit and they are looking for Thailand to take action on this. Not just a list announcement. That does nothing to demonstrate commitment and action. Thais don't seem to get the point here.

Edited by noitom
  • Like 2

He said the government needs to announce the list so he can inform the next meeting of the Asia/Pacific Group on Money Laundering that Thailand has joined the fight against money laundering by terrorists.

Kinda implies Thailand has not been in the fight against money laundering by terrorists.

He said the government needs to announce the list so he can inform the next meeting of the Asia/Pacific Group on Money Laundering that Thailand has joined the fight against money laundering by terrorists.

Kinda implies Thailand has not been in the fight against money laundering by terrorists.

yeah I sorta got that , don't tell me after all this time ,they have just noticed a money laundering list from the UN, hate to be cynical, maybe someone has been cut out of the dealcoffee1.gif

By English News

13666813038125.jpg

BANGKOK, April 23 – Thailand's justice minister will officially announce the names of 291 international terrorists whose monetary activities with banks and other financial institutions in Thailand will be immediately suspended, a senior official said.

Pol Col Seehanat Prayoonrat, secretary general of the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO), said the list of global terrorists, supplied by the United Nations, will be given to commercial banks which are required to instantly cease business with them or transfer their assets.

Failing to do so makes the institution subject to a one million baht fine and a daily penalty of Bt10,000 until the bank follows the AMLO instruction. Executives or employees of financial institutions refusing to cooperate are liable to a three years’ imprisonment and a Bt300,000 fine.

AMLO is also compiling the names of Thai terrorists for legal action.

The move is in compliance with the global network Financial Action Task Force (FATF) which will assign a team of experts to Thailand next month to check if the country has fully implemented the laws on money laundering and terrorism financing.

The FATF team will submit its findings to the task force meeting in Norway in June when a decision is expected on whether Thailand will be removed from a “grey list.”

Terrorists in Thailand’s far South are AMLO’s major target. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-04-23

• Like 1

Am I right in thinking that Thaksin would be on this list, except that he refuses to enter Thailand to hear the terrorism charge against him?

What terrorism charge? Has he been charged?

Yes. The courts ordered that he be arrested on charges of terrorism.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/05/25/us-thailand-idUSTRE64C0L620100525

• Like 2

Am I right in thinking that Thaksin would be on this list, except that he refuses to enter Thailand to hear the terrorism charge against him?

Thaksin had quiet a few charges to be laid not only for tax avoidance, pending completion of investigations, they wanted the charges so water tight that he could not slip through the cracks, unfortunately the Dems let the crook go to the Beijing Olympics, the rest is history.

"check if the country has fully implemented the laws on money laundering and terrorism financing"

So the list of names are of alleged terrorists. How about the names of persons 'just' involved in money laundering for other reasons?

BTW can someone explain what this means "291 international terrorists whose monetary activities with banks and other financial institutions in Thailand will be immediately suspended" ?

Thaksin had quiet a few charges to be laid not only for tax avoidance, pending completion of investigations, they wanted the charges so water tight that he could not slip through the cracks, unfortunately the Dems let the crook go to the Beijing Olympics, the rest is history.

Wasn't it the court, not the government, which let him go to watch the Olympics ?

And wasn't the government PPP, not the Dems, at that time ? wink.png

I have a feeling of deja-vu, I'm sure I've made this post, a number of times before now ! cool.png

By English News

BANGKOK, April 23 – Thailand's justice minister will officially announce the names of 291 international terrorists whose monetary activities with banks and other financial institutions in Thailand will be immediately suspended, a senior official said

Gosh, I expect for some of those 291 folks that could really throw a monkey wrench into satisfying immigration visa/extension of stay income requirements. crazy.gif

• Like 1

I think this explains all we need to know about the 'terrorism charges'

“Police investigators and public prosecutors claim they were pressured by policy-makers to file terrorism charges against red-shirt demonstrators last year despite a lack of solid evidence, the Truth for Reconciliation Commission (TRC) said yesterday.”
  • Like 2

“Police investigators and public prosecutors claim they were pressured by policy-makers to file terrorism charges against red-shirt demonstrators last year despite a lack of solid evidence, the Truth for Reconciliation Commission (TRC) said yesterday.”

So they could be being pressured now as well but in the opposite direction. My conclusion is they can't be trusted.

Yes. The courts ordered that he be arrested on charges of terrorism.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2010/05/25/us-thailand-idUSTRE64C0L620100525

"The court said there was enough evidence to

believe that Thaksin was the mastermind, having played a significant

role in instructing and manipulating the incidents," Department of

Special Investigations chief Tharit Pengdit told Reuters, referring to

the riots.

It would be interesting to know what Tharit's position is now.

Tharit reminds me of an old mule we had back on the farm named Kate. Some mules will only work on the right or left side of the wagon tongue. Kate would work on either side.

• Like 1

So they could be being pressured now as well but in the opposite direction. My conclusion is they can't be trusted.

Of course neither side can be trusted, all of them can be influenced. Sad but true. Still don't see what harm this can do. If there are foreign firms individuals identified by the UN SC operating or using Thailand in their money laundering, surely the shutting down of these operations is a good thing, even if it is ignoring the huge amount of money laundering undertaken by the local populace.

I am sure the UN SC is well aware of who's and hows of how Thailand operates.

• Like 1

I believe they renounced their earlier statements AFTER the change in government in what could be a smart career move. However the charges have been laid and the evidence lodged, which probably explains why there is no rush for a hearing to clear their names, or even return to the country (before the amnesty).

A big joke and Thailand will not get away with it, hence, will be removed from the financial blacklist. It is not about foreign terrorists whose names we can find anywhere it is about the friends of Prayuth and their Muslim insurgent friends that have dealings together and wreck havoc on the Thai Southern population.

Thailand removed from list of nations with risks of money laundering and financing of terrorism

BANGKOK, 23 April 2013 (NNT)-The Financial Action Task Force (FATF) has agreed to remove Thailand from its list of nations identified as Anti-Money Laundering (AML) and Combating the Financing of Terrorism (CFT) deficient

Justice Minister Police General Pracha Promnok held a press conference today during which he indicating that Thailand is no longer on the FATF’s blacklist, given its progress in addressing the AML/CFT deficiencies. In addition, the United Nations (UN) has sent a list of 291 suspects whom it believes, have been involved in terrorist activities to the Anti-Money Laundering Office (AMLO).

The list consists of 227 suspected individuals and 64 companies, all of whom are foreign nationals and have no linkage with the southern unrest, the minister said. He added the names could be found on the AMLO website at www.amlo.go.th

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-04-23 footer_n.gif

So when is the US going to be put on the list? HSBC laundered 60 trillion dollars worth of transactions for Al-Qaeda and the South American drug cartels and get to walk away with just a few billion in fines. That's what happens when you legalize bribery and have money completely control politics.

"post #27: Justice Minister Police General Pracha Promnok held a press conference today during which he indicating that Thailand is no longer on the FATFs blacklist"

Somehow this doesn't match with a newsflash earlier today. Are we black or grey?

"post #6: The FATF team will submit its findings to the task force meeting in Norway in June when a decision is expected on whether Thailand will be removed from a grey list."