90 Day Reporting - Comments & Experiences 2013

Tywais

"I've been doing this for 10 years as a resident and what I see is

Thai Immigration doing their best with what they have to work with,

making changes for the better almost daily.

The problem is there are one hell-of-a-lot of newby's in town with no idea of how to work with the system."

Agree 100%.

That office is a zoo, with all of the uptight people (Me Too) there trying to get their thing done and get out. I think next time I'll try showing up in the afternoon, as has been suggested. Showing up at 7:00 AM and still being number 114 just doesn't make any sense. Standing in the sun, listening to people bitch, it's all too much.

The officers there are doing their best. Can you imagine what it looks like from the other side of the counter, if you had to process this teeming horde every day? I'm just glad they have allowed me to stay here as a guest of the Kingdom for several years. The requirements are minimal, compared to other countries, especially my own USA.

I have only been dealing with CM Immigration for five years, and from what I have observed it has gone from bad to worst. Most of the immigration staff just go through the moves and tend not to bust a grape. They seldom are at their assigned desks at starting time and take their time processing their assigned workload along with taking plenty of breaks. The immigration requirements are not minimal but redundant. How many times do I have to show these people, that I have the required monthly income to live here and the ninety day reporting requirement makes no sense what so ever. Edited by CMNightRider
  • Like 1

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I went today at around 14:30. My number was 585. They were on 580 when I got there. Great I thought..., outta here in 10 minutes max... Don't know what was going on but there was nobody working the 90-day counter. Only a kid - student or intern or whatever inputting data int the computer next to the window, occasionally. He looked to be about 15-16 years old. He was mostly playing games on his tablet. There were a number of people waiting and getting agitated. Occasionally a heavy set woman with thinning hair, always talking on a mobile, would come and advance the number by one queue card and process one 90-day report before taking off again and going in the back. 582 and 583 took off, they couldn't handle it. It took 45 minutes to process 581 and 584. I was losing control and my palms were getting sweaty. I stood there for another 10 minutes before the lady walked over, again talking on her mobile the entire time. She took my papers, never looked at any of them including the date, filled out the new appointment slip and tossed my passport next to the computer. At that point the kid went on a break with tablet, soft drink, and snacks in hand and left me standing there waiting for my passport. After another 10 minutes passed, I snapped, reached over the counter (something I would normally never do) and grabbed my passport and took off. It was the longest hour I have ever spent at Immigration. The only good thing out of the incompetence was that she never looked at the date to see I was 2 days late. So I saved 1,000 Baht.

It is far better to go down the visa company road, just think you arrived thought you would be out in 10 minutes and then end up getting stressed and doing something you would never normally do. Far less stress the other way .

So I went today at around 14:30. My number was 585. They were on 580 when I got there. Great I thought..., outta here in 10 minutes max... Don't know what was going on but there was nobody working the 90-day counter. Only a kid - student or intern or whatever inputting data int the computer next to the window, occasionally. He looked to be about 15-16 years old. He was mostly playing games on his tablet. There were a number of people waiting and getting agitated. Occasionally a heavy set woman with thinning hair, always talking on a mobile, would come and advance the number by one queue card and process one 90-day report before taking off again and going in the back. 582 and 583 took off, they couldn't handle it. It took 45 minutes to process 581 and 584. I was losing control and my palms were getting sweaty. I stood there for another 10 minutes before the lady walked over, again talking on her mobile the entire time. She took my papers, never looked at any of them including the date, filled out the new appointment slip and tossed my passport next to the computer. At that point the kid went on a break with tablet, soft drink, and snacks in hand and left me standing there waiting for my passport. After another 10 minutes passed, I snapped, reached over the counter (something I would normally never do) and grabbed my passport and took off. It was the longest hour I have ever spent at Immigration. The only good thing out of the incompetence was that she never looked at the date to see I was 2 days late. So I saved 1,000 Baht.

It is far better to go down the visa company road, just think you arrived thought you would be out in 10 minutes and then end up getting stressed and doing something you would never normally do. Far less stress the other way .

I agree. I'm usually out of there within 5-10 minutes (since they stopped the 90-day by post). But clearly things are going downhill there. I won't go again and am going to contact the company that everyone has been recommending.

Went in Monday 11am, six numbers before me, no problems apart from know-nothings who try to push in when they don't even have TM47 filled in. The Sarg' spend half of his time redirecting people and is impeded from doing his job properly.

Anyway; out in 22 minutes. Oh; plenty of parking space at the far gate of next door for a change.

Went in today expecting a big crowd because of the three day weekend. 1:00 got my number 1:10 left the building good for 90 more days.

It helps when you smile say hello in Thai have your paper's in order and thank them in Thai.

Also don't try to tell them how to do their job or tell them it is a waste of time.

They are doing a great job considering the fact that they are undermanned and working in to small a building.

They had a new lady there who I had never seen before. But she was as efficient as the regular fellow who has been there a long time.

• Like 1

went in there yesterday at 1pm was out at 1.20pm great

Went in today expecting a big crowd because of the three day weekend. 1:00 got my number 1:10 left the building good for 90 more days.

It helps when you smile say hello in Thai have your paper's in order and thank them in Thai.

Also don't try to tell them how to do their job or tell them it is a waste of time.

They are doing a great job considering the fact that they are undermanned and working in to small a building.

They had a new lady there who I had never seen before. But she was as efficient as the regular fellow who has been there a long time.

No it doesn't, apart from having your papers in order bit. The line will go as fast or slow as they want it to whether everyone is grinning like a prune or as miserable as sin. The reason you think it does is because you were lucky enough to be in & out. rolleyes.gif

I doubt if he actually knows how to say Hello in Thai!

No it doesn't, apart from having your papers in order bit. The line will go as fast or slow as they want it to whether everyone is grinning like a prune or as miserable as sin. The reason you think it does is because you were lucky enough to be in & out. rolleyes.gif

I see the cheap Charlies are here with there lack of knowledge. I have been doing it for years now and never had a problem. the problem is with the sour faced think Thai's are stupid and have no respect for them.

"Pretty lame excuse I think he dosen't know how to say hello in Thai."

I do

This thread was started to pass on experience people have had with immigration in 2013. But some people for some unknown reason try to high jack it into personal insults. But look at who they are and who there admirers are and it becomes understandable.

So far only one post with a negative experience.

I passed on my experience so as other people who have to go in can look back and see how things have been going in the recent past with out having to wade through the junk posts.

• Like 1

I see the cheap Charlies are here with there lack of knowledge. I have been doing it for years now and never had a problem. the problem is with the sour faced think Thai's are stupid and have no respect for them.

"Pretty lame excuse I think he dosen't know how to say hello in Thai."

I do

This thread was started to pass on experience people have had with immigration in 2013. But some people for some unknown reason try to high jack it into personal insults. But look at who they are and who there admirers are and it becomes understandable.

So far only one post with a negative experience.

I passed on my experience so as other people who have to go in can look back and see how things have been going in the recent past with out having to wade through the junk posts.

Wow Dolly, I don't think there is any need to hurl insults at people just because they question your ability to say hello in Thai. As far as walking into CM Immigration with a smile on your face and being polite to people is very good advice. I doubt if smiling at those people will make them process the ninety day reports any faster, but if you believe that then good on you. I think most people really enjoy reading your hundred plus posts everyday, and are very thankful you share your wisdom on so many subjects. smile.png

• Like 1

Hey Dolly, ya got the magic man. Seems every time you go you are out within 10-15 minutes.

How about letting us all know when your next 90-day is scheduled; you can then hustle us all in under your wing and your cognizance: we promise to smile your smile and pronounce Thai your way.

Ur the man!

I mean it bro...keep us in the game plan, OK? thumbsup.gif

Completely agree.

Getting served at Immigration is becoming like a lottery and each year, obtaining a visa extension and the 90 day report becomes more and more hit and miss.

I cannot foresee the situation improving, it is now just a big load of hassle and inconvenience.

Completely agree.

Getting served at Immigration is becoming like a lottery and each year, obtaining a visa extension and the 90 day report becomes more and more hit and miss.

I cannot foresee the situation improving, it is now just a big load of hassle and inconvenience.

Yes its terrible, 90 day reporting and my online booking for renewal of retirement visa takes approx 3 hours out of my life every year,dreadful state of affairs

• Like 1

No it doesn't, apart from having your papers in order bit. The line will go as fast or slow as they want it to whether everyone is grinning like a prune or as miserable as sin. The reason you think it does is because you were lucky enough to be in & out. :rolleyes:

Completely agree.

Yes its terrible, 90 day reporting and my online booking for renewal of retirement visa takes approx 3 hours out of my life every year,dreadful state of affairs

You are lucky, I reckon I use up nearly 3.5 hours every year.

Using my genius like math skills that would be 35 hours over the last 10 years. Just think of all that time wasted!

• Like 1

What ever the visa companies have they are doing it right a great service for a pittance. My time is valuable to me I don't want to be sitting about in a crowded room waiting when I can have it done for me with no hassle.

What qualifications are required to become an agent to process this 90 day reporting on behalf of others?

Does anybody know?

Someone that can find their way to immigration and hand in the paperwork. My wife is even qualified to do that, or maid if I had one. biggrin.png

• 2 weeks later...

The 90 day reporting went downhill when they moved it from the office

at the other side of the car park,where they process the Burmese now.

It was a joy to go there as there was hardly ever anyone else reporting

and you where in and out in minutes,no hassle at all,I don't know whether

there are more people reporting or if the officers are just taking there own

sweet time doing the reports,bit of both I suspect,anyway I always smile and

wai when giving and collecting my report,it costs me nothing,and I am sure

they appreciate it,its got to be better than looking at miserable farang faces

all day.

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

Step-daughter off to college last Thursday, so went in nearly 2-weels early to immigration to combine 2 trips into one (it's a haul and I don't enjoy the long day it requires there and back, but like the over-night's less. Arrived 6:30 AM and though third at the "standing only" was #29 for a 90-Day report. other than that my experience and timing was very similar to jollyrog

The latest RE-ENTRY stamp and 90 DAY REPORT information Thursday 10 AM........................

Arrived Immigration 7 AM #42 in line. By 8 AM there were almost 100 in line across the parking lot. The first 15 to arrive had numbered seating near the entrance door. The rest of us stood in the morning sun until 8 AM. An umbrella would help as it was very HOT !

8 AM door opens.....received #42 number card......found seat inside.....Thai Immigration staff started calling entrance numbers from center desk....in sequence, no exceptions. At 8:15 #42 was called I centered myself to their direct front and handed over my completed paperwork for a RE-ENTRY stamp. Upon their approval I was given the station # & reservation #...

8:45 my # (505) was called to counter 2 and processed quickly. The woman had not arrived until 8:30 but she commented about having children she needed to get to school first AND then the traffic.

Two issues as to why NOT to use an outside agent.

FIRST: I've seen nothing that assures me the agent bears ANY liability if ether they fail OR one of their employees runs some scam with the data. There is no such thing as protection for expats that I've yet seen in Thailand, no bonding, no legal recourse... or absolution from complications outright. This is just a service that has popped up that anyone can do and I'm not willing to risk my peace of mind for 4 days without travel.

The SECOND reason is that it is already obvious that pricing can vary at whim. What was 1,000 baht for the year of 90-Day reports is now 1,500 baht... a 50% increase in only a few months of operation. There is a pay-off somewhere, else the paperwork could presented by a person requires the physical presence of the passport... and once you are in for a little, you'll likely be in forever more... at whatever the market will bear.

and once you are in for a little, you'll likely be in forever more... at whatever the market will bear.

My goodness, It is a business not a drug. It is non addicting & if the price

is uncomfortable for you then you can always choose to stop buying the service.

Sorry but it never ceases to amaze me the things I read here about things like this visa service.

If something is appealing/useful to you then use it if not don't.

Same goes for restaurants, laundry services, transportation etc. etc. etc.

None begrudge anyone of their right to self service themselves in any way they like.

Whether that be cooking, cleaning, doing your visa, driving yourself anywhere etc.

But to say if you hire any of these that "you'll likely be in forever more"

That is a bit dramatic wink.png

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

Step-daughter off to college last Thursday, so went in nearly 2-weels early to immigration to combine 2 trips into one (it's a haul and I don't enjoy the long day it requires there and back, but like the over-night's less. Arrived 6:30 AM and though third at the "standing only" was #29 for a 90-Day report. other than that my experience and timing was very similar to jollyrog

The latest RE-ENTRY stamp and 90 DAY REPORT information Thursday 10 AM........................

Arrived Immigration 7 AM #42 in line. By 8 AM there were almost 100 in line across the parking lot. The first 15 to arrive had numbered seating near the entrance door. The rest of us stood in the morning sun until 8 AM. An umbrella would help as it was very HOT !

8 AM door opens.....received #42 number card......found seat inside.....Thai Immigration staff started calling entrance numbers from center desk....in sequence, no exceptions. At 8:15 #42 was called I centered myself to their direct front and handed over my completed paperwork for a RE-ENTRY stamp. Upon their approval I was given the station # & reservation #...

8:45 my # (505) was called to counter 2 and processed quickly. The woman had not arrived until 8:30 but she commented about having children she needed to get to school first AND then the traffic.

FIRST: I've seen nothing that assures me the agent bears ANY liability if ether they fail OR one of their employees runs some scam with the data. There is no such thing as protection for expats that I've yet seen in Thailand, no bonding, no legal recourse... or absolution from complications outright. This is just a service that has popped up that anyone can do and I'm not willing to risk my peace of mind for 4 days without travel.

The SECOND reason is that it is already obvious that pricing can vary at whim. What was 1,000 baht for the year of 90-Day reports is now 1,500 baht... a 50% increase in only a few months of operation. There is a pay-off somewhere, else the paperwork could presented by a person requires the physical presence of the passport... and once you are in for a little, you'll likely be in forever more... at whatever the market will bear.

Can you let us know which of the visa companies is now charging 1,500 baht for the 90 day reports.Is it a new company as you say within a few months of operation. the ones I know have been in business for a lot longer than that .

Can you let us know which of the visa companies is now charging 1,500 baht for the 90 day reports.Is it a new company as you say within a few months of operation. the ones I know have been in business for a lot longer than that .

The topic that this post was moved from had many people highlighting "Assist" and the latter posts about it said the company had begun to charge 1500 baht for the 90-day reports for those not using them also to do the annual extensions.

and once you are in for a little, you'll likely be in forever more... at whatever the market will bear.

My goodness, It is a business not a drug. It is non addicting & if the price

is uncomfortable for you then you can always choose to stop buying the service.

Sorry but it never ceases to amaze me the things I read here about things like this visa service.

If something is appealing/useful to you then use it if not don't.

Same goes for restaurants, laundry services, transportation etc. etc. etc.

None begrudge anyone of their right to self service themselves in any way they like.

Whether that be cooking, cleaning, doing your visa, driving yourself anywhere etc.

But to say if you hire any of these that "you'll likely be in forever more"

That is a bit dramatic wink.png

Yep, hyperbole is meant to be dramatic. Of course there will be some elastic demand trade-offs with more people using a service at lower pricing, fewer people at higher prices. My main caution is the lack of bond that the company has responsibility that if failed does not end up in my being at risk with the folks at immigration. ... secondarily to what happens to my data in outside hands, and down at third as to the price (in its current price range)

All power to those that use agents and are happy with the service and charges.

Personally never had a problem nor found it a chore or particularly time consuming to do our own reporting for the past 11 years.

I share the concerns of others that if/when the agent thing blows up then there are likely to be all sorts of problems.

As with all things that have an element of risk - Caveat Emptor

I certainly agree that the 90 day reporting seems to be outdated and perhaps there should be dispensations for certain visa's,time served etc but there are not,so, it is part of the requirements for us to live in the place we have chosen to make home( in many cases).

• Like 1

The topic that this post was moved from had many people highlighting "Assist" and the latter posts about it said the company had begun to charge 1500 baht for the 90-day reports for those not using them also to do the annual extensions.

Actually what it was is they started charging more for "new" customers.

Not customers that did not do their annual with them.

As I only have them do my 90 days & do my annual myself.

But because I started with them before they became popular ( wish I had kept my mouth shut smile.png )

They still charge me 1000 THB per year or 1000 for 4/90 day reports

My main caution is the lack of bond that the company has responsibility that if failed does not end up in my being at risk with the folks at immigration. ... secondarily to what happens to my data in outside hands, and down at third as to the price (in its current price range)

Well yes I guess I could worry about such things although TIT & even buying a condo/car etc does not afford the protections many of us westerners are use to.

Be that as it may I do not see such risks in 90 day reporting. They do them for me ahead of time. If they for some reason did not I guess I could be charged 2k baht fine. But considering the numbers of happy customers I am not worried.

Secondly as to giving out info? I sign 4/90 day reports same as anyone else.

If you mean the visa service is somehow selling my info or misusing it in some way....I cannot imagine it being of any use to anyone.

Not to mention have you ever looked on the back of any scrap papers Immigration themselves use?

There you will find much interesting reading about others smile.png

Down at third as to price, as I said for me it is 1000 baht per year or 4/90 day reports I do not have to do.

Yes 2.7 baht a day I can part with no problem. Although even if I were one of the customers paying 1500 THB a year I would gladly pay the 4.1 baht per day smile.png

As others have said they enjoy the task then I would not be asking them why they do not use an agent.

But really,,,, risk element, as some say, or price elements,, I do not see nor have any fears/problems in this regard.

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

It's a mess that it totally FUBARed. That fact that they now force you to go to immigration now that mail-in 90 day reports are no longer an option just adds to the mess. This should be an embarrassment to the Thai government, or perhaps it's running just the way they want it too. It's just another way of saying: "Come and visit, spend your money, but don't stay."

I have had pleasant experiences at immigration...in Korat, but never here in Chiang Mai. I really dislike going there.