Unwanted Guest

HeijoshinCool

Sounds like a 'tokay'

The Thais I know use one of 2 methods.

1 - bamboo about 3 metres long, with a fined wire noose fixed to one end. Then patiently work noose around the offending creature, after that you have multiple choices.

2 - same bamboo, but with a bent spike, works well.

Best of luck

Sent from my M3 Enjoy TV Box using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry for disappearing, got waylaid by the GF. (Stop it, that's not a play on words!)

Thanks for the good replies. As a matter of fact, I did indeed use the noose technique. Worked well.

Yeah, I love that he was eating his smaller cousins, really loved that! But he was processing them quickly and leaving their remains in unpleasant places. Had to go.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I named our Gekkos Gordon and Maggie and now they are part of our pest control team

In old wooden house we had a Ginko that makes a <deleted> You noise called a Choktaew I think who made big noises

I was assured he was harmless and a beautiful grey green and at least 8 inches long

The picture in post 23 is not a Gecko, it's a Tokay. They will make a nest in your attic, make a lot of noise, poop everywhere and do have a tenacious bite! I have 10 dogs so they seem to stay away although I get one inside once in a while. The snare, post 24, is a good way of catching them although I use gloves and a towel. If they do bite you should clean the wound very good as they do carry a lot of germs and the wound becomes infected easily.

What is a Tokay, if it is not a Gecko?

• Like 1

I didn't read all the posts. I assume you're talking about a big blue gecko with red spots. I had one in my kitchen years ago. It woke me up every night at 2am, "Took Gae!" One night, I'd had enough. I went down to the kitchen, and opened the windows which were on adjacent sides of a corner. I tried to chase it with a broom and it stood its ground and hissed at me. I said, "All right, let's get serious." I rolled up some newspaper and lit it with a match. First taste of fire and my "house guest" turned tail. I chased it out one window, with it looking over its shoulder the whole time. I slammed the first window behind it. When I turned to the second window, it was coming back in, and I accidentally crunched its neck between the window and the frame. It fell down and my cat made a meal of it. Now if you can stage manage all of that, it's a very effective method.

• Like 1

I named our Gekkos Gordon and Maggie and now they are part of our pest control team

In old wooden house we had a Ginko that makes a <deleted> You noise called a Choktaew I think who made big noises

I was assured he was harmless and a beautiful grey green and at least 8 inches long

that's what the US troops in Vietnam called them...FuXX you lizards

• Like 1

The picture in post 23 is not a Gecko, it's a Tokay. They will make a nest in your attic, make a lot of noise, poop everywhere and do have a tenacious bite! I have 10 dogs so they seem to stay away although I get one inside once in a while. The snare, post 24, is a good way of catching them although I use gloves and a towel. If they do bite you should clean the wound very good as they do carry a lot of germs and the wound becomes infected easily.

Tokays are geckos.

Sophon

Edit: The scientific name of the Tokay actually is Gekko Gecko, which I think says it all.

Edited by Sophon

220px-Tokay.jpg

They seem to be spelled Tokay but sounds more like took-gah when I hear Thai's talk about them. That is both the name and the sound they make, usually a couple of times in a row. Thai's believe if you hear it repeated 7 times you're lucky. Or something like that.

Yes they're generally quite agressive with strong jaws. I don't know if they can actually bite through skin, but I wouldn't try.

There was a newspaper article some time ago saying some (Malaysian/Indonesian/Cambodian/Burmese/Whatever) dealers were prepared to pay millions for large specimens, used for "traditional medicine".

Those guys are useful in keeping down the smaller visitors so don't harm him. Once he's cleaned out your house of pests he'll go.

We had one get into the house once. He kept out of the way for a few days and then appeared in the kitchen sink, swearing whenever I went near. I got a local to wrap a towel around him and take him outside. There's was no way that I was going anywhere near those teeth.

Perhaps you'll keep your window closed in future! smile.png

absolutely the best solution. I think you should know that it's probably a female however based on the fact that it swears at you. She probably won't want to feed however you may be able to coax her with such things as crickets and grasshoppers if you can find such a thing. Please, please, don't hurt her. She would do her level best to get away from you if she could.

Also have a large one in our house and quite a few of his smaller cousins. Beautiful creatures who clean up a good percentage of the uninvited bugs who will always find their way into your house when living in the tropics. As a previous poster stated, their waste is just concentrated mosquito's, flies and other bugs. How hard is it to sweep their crap out the door every couple of days. Same back home in northern Aus.

Had one, Tokay, in the rafters of my kuti in Khoksamrong for about a year. about 8 or 10 inches long. Every morning about 2am, f*** you, f*** you. for about 8 or 10 times. liked to drove me nuts. I would turn on a flashlight and the ugly little bugger would be staring at me.. so I know he/she was talking to me. cheeky little bastard. why he couldn't talk to me at 2 in the afternoon, I could never figure. He/she finally moved out when another one moved into the kitchen area across the way.. lonely I guess. I really didn't mind him/her, except for the potty mouth. laugh.png

• Like 1

What is a Tokay, if it is not a Gecko?

You beat me to it,of course a Tokay is a Gecko,a Tokay Gecko!What else would it be?rolleyes.gif

220px-Tokay.jpg

They seem to be spelled Tokay but sounds more like took-gah when I hear Thai's talk about them. That is both the name and the sound they make, usually a couple of times in a row. Thai's believe if you hear it repeated 7 times you're lucky. Or something like that.

Yes they're generally quite agressive with strong jaws. I don't know if they can actually bite through skin, but I wouldn't try.

There was a newspaper article some time ago saying some (Malaysian/Indonesian/Cambodian/Burmese/Whatever) dealers were prepared to pay millions for large specimens, used for "traditional medicine".

They're called "Tukaw Geckos" in the Philippines and they can fetch up to 3 million pesos for one over 400 grams,to be sold to the Chinese for Gecko fighting!blink.png

Though the idea of cleaning up gecko poop isn't that appealing, at least you can see it to clean it up, and it doesn't sting you, bite you, crap in your food, or leave tiny little pieces of airborne poop to breath in. Not like to little bastards they eat, and the poop those little pests leave behind.

Geckos are always welcome in my home. Even the ones that make that hair raising noise.

• Like 2

A foot long! Wow that a pretty big lizard. I remember hunting bull frogs with a fishing line and a small piece of red cloth tied to the hook at the end of the line. But I ate the frogs. You could try to lure it out without the hook maybe?

No need for cruelty, such as chemical insect killers, prodding with sticks or anything like that.

Get a spray bottle and spray the reptile with cold water. Works everytime.

My "Songkran" style solution. We're in Thai, so do it the thai style.

1) get some water.

2) get water pistol or a tomato sauce plastic squeeze bottle with the nozzle

3) get some real "Thai" chilli powder.

You've worked out the rest, didn't you?

It'll NEVER come back, that's a promise.

I had an unwanted guest once, a fully imported two legged one from Australia that I could not get rid of and he kept returning like an old song.

I would have gladly traded with you.

Gee, it took reading 24 posts to realize you are talking geckos. Why so secretive?

They are lovely beasts, useful to a point. The problem is they are not house trained. Xxxx is a nuisance.

When I can - I catch them and throw out the window. Afraid the bastards know their way back ( I'm on a high floor).

Never saw a foot long one...

How high is your floor???