Thai 3G 2.1 GHz users nearly reach 18 million

webfact

Thai 3G 2.1 GHz users nearly reach 18 million
By English News

13823232491797.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 21 - Thailand now has 17.7 million 3G 2.1 GHz service users as of last Friday (October 18), according to the National Broadcasting and Telecommunication Commission (NBTC).

Thakorn Tantasith, NBTC secretary general, said 12 million users were from Advanced Wireless Network (AWN), five million from DTAC Network (DTN or TriNet) and 700,000 from Real Future.

The three operators have followed the NBTC instruction to reduce service fees by at least 15 per cent for voice and text services for every package. DTN offered the highest reduction at 29 per cent.

Mr Thakorn said the 15 per cent lower fees applied only to users of 3G 2.1 GHz mobile services, which accounted for 17.7 million out of the total 90 million users of mobile phone services countrywide. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-21

Having dinner last night in a local restaurant and noticed next to my table were 3 couples..No one saying a word to the other but were totally absorbed by there Phones.....Just stopped long enough to eat a bite then back to there games and chatting..No Thanks--I'm happy to Pass on this Fad...

I changed over to 3G about 2 months ago.

I travel a lot between Bkk and the Eastern Seaboard

I haven't noticed any improvement whatsoever, especially in Bangkok where I often can't even get a signal (any signal).

I was hoping for a faster, stronger more reliable service than the previous (2G?) where I always seemed to get 'Edge' only

Hard to see what all the fuss and the hype was about.

I read also that 3G packages will be up to 15% cheaper than 2G, as part of the conditions for the 3G licence. My bill hasn't changed at all.

Much ado about nothing

I use AIS.

I changed over to 3G about 2 months ago.

I travel a lot between Bkk and the Eastern Seaboard

I haven't noticed any improvement whatsoever, especially in Bangkok where I often can't even get a signal (any signal).

I was hoping for a faster, stronger more reliable service than the previous (2G?) where I always seemed to get 'Edge' only

Hard to see what all the fuss and the hype was about.

I read also that 3G packages will be up to 15% cheaper than 2G, as part of the conditions for the 3G licence. My bill hasn't changed at all.

Much ado about nothing

I use AIS.

The 18 million people must be the ones that live near the borders with Cambodia and Myanmar and Malaysia.

If Thai companies start negotiating for 4G NOW they may just be ready in time for the last smartphones before they are replaced by implants...

See True are advertising 4G Lite (whatever that is)

Jeez they haven't even got 3G right yet, or was even 2G working well enough

It;s a bit like building a high speed train when you can't even manage to run a low speed train.

Learn to walk before you start running !

TrueMove H have had nationwide 3G coverage for two (2) + years, as have DTAC and AIS.

I have been using 3G from both TrueMove H and DTAC for two years, and am very satisfied, as have millions of others.

TrueMove H have had nationwide 3G coverage for two (2) + years, as have DTAC and AIS.

I have been using 3G from both TrueMove H and DTAC for two years, and am very satisfied, as have millions of others.

But not at 2.1GHz which is what this thread is about.

And if I think you read enough you'll find there were millions of UNSATISFIED people at the non-2.1GHZ 3G that was being offered.

Waited 3.5 years for 2.1GHz 3G after buying a 3G phone. Now I got it; all over Pattaya where I've checked EXCEPT at my own house. I lose 3G about 100 meters from my house. DTAC been notified and am WAITING, WAITING, WAITING for them to fix it, if they can. So 3G is most certainly NOT nationwide.

P.S. I live on the light-side in a town-house with a garden.

But not at 2.1GHz

Correct. I was addressing Udox's misperceptions re: 3G here.

The NBTC auctioned 2100 MHz spectrum twelve months ago, and in that short time there has been a massive deployment, by DTAC and AIS anyway, and a huge number of customers who've transitioned. Pretty amazing.

Yes, TOT has had a nationwide 2100 MHz 3G network for a few years now, and many of us have enjoyed - and continue to enjoy - robust, high-performing 3G/850 MHz, as we have for more than two years.

My results using AIS/2100 and DTAC/2100:

post-9615-0-02938700-1382500916_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-95379200-1382500929_thumb.jp

Edited by lomatopo

Since switching from DTAC 850Mhz/1800Mhz to DTAC TriNet 2100MHz/850Mhz/1800Mhz in mid August my average speed is north of 10Mb...before switching it was around 5Mb average. And I can frequently pull download speeds above 25Mhz here in western Bangkok and the next door province of Nakhon Pathom where the mother in law lives out in the sticks. From looking at my Speedtest.net history results my fastest 3G speed has been 27.28Mb. I always test to the "STS Group" Speedtest server.

For the first 4 or so weeks after switching to DTAC TriNet which included the 2100Mhz frequency, the 2100Mhz signal level was weak in my area and the speed no better than the 850Mhz frequency. But for the last month or little longer the 2100Mhz signal strength has improved greatly in the areas I frequent and when checking to see what 3G frequency I'm connected to its mostly 2100Mhz versus 850Mhz...even my MIL's village out in the sticks is getting a strong 2100Mhz signal which I can pull greater than 10Mb speeds from...I think I got close to 15Mb one time....before I could only get a weak 850Mhz 3G signal and slow speed of a couple of Mb's.

Also, when driving down Sathon Road in Bangkok (a main business/condo road in highrise Bangkok) on a trip I make every week or so my connection would constantly switch between a 3G icon (versus a H or H+ icon) to the Edge icon and the speed was slow...and there was one or two spots for about a 100 meters where I would completely lose a 3G/Edge signal. But now when I drive down the road I maintain a constant, strong signal connection and it appears to be a 2100Mhz connection the few times I have checked to see what frequency I was on. Yeap, in the areas I frequently the DTAC signal strength and speed has definitely improved very, very significantly with the 2100Mhz frequency going operational. No complaints at all about my DTAC service...knock on wood. Your results may vary.

Edited by Pib

How would one know what exact band is being used? Is there software that tells you the frequency being used? I only see 2g/3g distinctions.....no 850/900/2100 specific info.

"Second best time to plant a tree is today" sent from note2 TV app