One killed in Phuket construction work truck crash:

Lite Beer

One killed in Phuket construction work truck crash
Phuket Gazette -

PHUKET: A truck carrying construction workers flipped on a hill on the beach road between Patong and Kamala yesterday, killing one and injuring 12.

Kamala Police were notified of the accident at about 5:30pm. By the time they arrived at the scene, traffic police were already there, helping to direct traffic in the long tailbacks building up at the crash site.

“We found an Isuzu pickup truck had crashed into a deep drainage ditch, and more than 10 injured people were strewn across the road,” Investigator Navin Petchjan of the Kamala Police said.

Kusoldharm Foundation rescue workers and members of the Patong Hospital medical team administered first aid and transferred the 13 injured people to Patong Hospital.

One of the eight ethnic Mons injured in the accident, Mr Chad, succumbed to his injuries after having been transferred to the better equipped Vachira Phuket Hospital.

Nine Myanmar nationals, including eight ethnic Mons, and four Thais were injured.

“I was taking the workers from Patong toward Kamala, as usual, but when I arrived at the down slope of the hill, it was too steep and I couldn’t brake,” the 51-year-old driver, Mhad Kawiset, said.

Mr Mhad was charged with reckless driving resulting in death.

“The crash might have been caused by brake failure, but we will investigate in order to confirm the true cause of the accident,” Lt Navin said.

Vachira Hospital staff confirmed to the Phuket Gazette that one patient in addition to Mr Chad was transferred to the hospital. However, they declined to comment further.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/One-killed-in-Phuket-construction-work-truck-crash-video-report-22744.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-11-08

"I was taking the workers from Patong toward Kamala, as usual, but when I arrived at the down slope of the hill, it was too steep and I couldn't brake," the 51-year-old driver, Mhad Kawiset, said.

What gear were you in? (And I don't mean what were you wearing.)

• Like 1

"I was taking the workers from Patong toward Kamala, as usual, but when I arrived at the down slope of the hill, it was too steep and I couldn't brake," the 51-year-old driver, Mhad Kawiset, said.

You really think that local truck or bus drivers have had any tuition to change down the gears to assist with braking - doubt it.

• Like 1

One dead, 12 injured in Phuket pickup smash, driver blames brake failure
Eakkapop Thongtub

pa.jpg
The pickup truck smash near Kamala yesterday evening.

PHUKET: -- One person from the Mon minority tribe from Myanmar was killed and 12 others injured when a pickup they were travelling on crashed into a concrete drain near Kamala yesterday (November 7) around 5.30pm.

Police said Mard Kawisead, 51, was driving the pickup truck down a hill when he said the brakes failed.

All the injured – Thai, Mon and Burmese – were taken to Patong Hospital, and one man, named Chat, died in hospital. Three people suffered broken limbs.

Mard told police he was driving the workers back to their accommodation when he drove down a hill, and reached a curve. He tried to brake – unsuccessfully – and lost control, and drove the pickup into the concrete drain.

Mard has been taken to the police station for questioning.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/one-dead-12-injured-in-phuket-pickup-smash-driver-blames-brake-failure-42767.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-11-08

You really think that local truck or bus drivers have had any tuition to change down the gears to assist with braking - doubt it.

I know, I know. It is quite amazing when I go to Kata from Chalong the number of trucks and cars that have their brake lights on all the time that they go down the hill. I'm in 3rd gear and just press the bake pedal for a few seconds if I pick up too much speed.

Edited by JetsetBkk

Nobody in Thailand (Thai people i.e.)to my knowledge attends a learner driver program or has any formal driving lessons at all. They just get in and.... you know the rest, sink or swim or should that be drive and crash?

Nobody in Thailand (Thai people i.e.)to my knowledge attends a learner driver program or has any formal driving lessons at all. They just get in and.... you know the rest, sink or swim or should that be drive and crash?

Apart from those who take driving lessons from driving schools and keep those schools in business.

I know, I know. It is quite amazing when I go to Kata from Chalong the number of trucks and cars that have their brake lights on all the time that they go down the hill. I'm in 3rd gear and just press the bake pedal for a few seconds if I pick up too much speed.

These days a vast majority of vehicles are automatics and most drivers cannot relate to downshifting an auto to benefit from engine braking as in a manual trans vehicle.

This is also not just a Thailand thing, worldwide is the same...

PS i realise that some even dont use engine braking in a manual...they just cruise downhill in a high gear and only use the brakes for speed control.

Nothing much wrong with that generally, . but why not use the extra engine braking thats available to the driver?

Lack of training initially and awareness of the benefits i figure are the main reasons.[Especially the lack of any type of decent driver training in this country]