What Is It With Hardley Riders?

H1w4yR1da

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting article on Wikipedia about the XR750. They say:

"Riders on XR-750s have won 29 of the 37 AMA Grand National Championships from 1972 to 2008 inclusive. Besides having more wins than any other bike in AMA racing, it has been called the "most successful race bike of all time."

Also, notice in the XR-750 pictures that the bike has no brakes! That's how they ran them in the AMA Grand National series.

Why discuss performance in regards to Harley's. Yes Jap/Euro bike will perform better there is no argument there. A Harley is a work of art that allows your imagination to transform to whoever you want to be. From the perfectionist nerd having every piece of chrome staring back at you to the most rebellious MC member bad boy wannabe. Plus you can take it out for a ride. Point being is that they look great, sound awesome and you can bling them a thousand different ways. Sort of like the iphone it may be a couple generation behind new Android phones but there are tons of accessories for them.

• Like 2

Why discuss performance in regards to Harley's. Yes Jap/Euro bike will perform better there is no argument there. A Harley is a work of art that allows your imagination to transform to whoever you want to be. From the perfectionist nerd having every piece of chrome staring back at you to the most rebellious MC member bad boy wannabe. Plus you can take it out for a ride. Point being is that they look great, sound awesome and you can bling them a thousand different ways. Sort of like the iphone it may be a couple generation behind new Android phones but there are tons of accessories for them.

You can do the same thing to a sportbike, though I prefer carbon fiber over chrome. The main difference is that when performance is a goal rather than looks, minimalism is usually the best route to take. I've dropped over 150K into my bike so far, and I would like to double that amount over the next year or two with planned upgrades- few of those were strictly for looks, though- I don't care about 'bling' as those modifications are often done to impress others- my mods are for me, and I don't care if they're not readily apparent to a casual observer.

There's nothing wrong with setting up a cruiser to be visually striking, but other types of bikes lend themselves just as well to modification, and you can spend years setting them up.

Yes correct regarding the customizing, no other brand offers that amount of aftermarket parts, it's unbelievable what you can buy for a Harley in the US.

I personally got tired of all the chrome I had on my ex Road King, it was a never ending struggle to keep it looking nice, if out riding and you passed a shop washing the walkway in front of the shop, I said ohhh no, I have to wash & polish when getting home, he-he.

Yes I too think they sound good but don't like them too loud, drag pipes are just too loud. I had very nice Rush mufflers on mine and they only barked when really opening it up out on the high ways.

With the amount of fairly cheap big bikes you can now buy in Thailand it just don't make sense to buy a Harley here anymore unless you a 100 % HD fanatic or have enough money.

Being 100% fanatic towards one brand I never understood & you can't really comment on a bike you never tried, no matter what brand it is.

Eksample: Harley Sportster 883 year 2012 (2nd hand) I saw for sale here: 550K baht.

Ducati Hyperstrada 821 (brand new out of the shop, 2 years warranty), also 550K baht.

The HD have something like 45 hp, no abs no tc. The Ducati have 110 hp, abs and tc (if you want).

Okay comparing those 2 bikes can seems a bit odd but still: The choice is not hard to be honest.

Edited by guzzi850m2

HD......Each to his own. I like all bikes but, not a lover of Harley, mainly because of the riders attitude and why would anyone spend good money adding weight in the form of chrome and tassels....They go slow enough already.

There are some Harley's that can be made respectable

To 'Some' of you Harley riders lighten-up!........................... riding a Harley does not make you hard or a free spirit and the other bike riders you try so hard to blank and look cool too don't think 'Wow' they think 'You cock'.

The only Harley's I like............................................ post-69255-0-42840300-1386817719_thumb.j post-69255-0-33026600-1386817730_thumb.j

just saying

• Like 2

Don't think we can put all Harley riders into the same ''bracket''. My Swedish chum has two mega buck Harleys and is the nicest bloke you could meet. Has no bike attitude whatsoever, just likes the feel of his ride, he's a happy bunny riding around on his own.thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

The HD have something like 45 hp

45hp eh? That's embarrassing!

I think my Electrolux blender is more powerful.

And riding to the Hua Hin bike week last Saturday, we saw a bunch of Hardley riders being pulled over by the BIB for no helmets.

We cracked up! LOL!

Life would be far less entertaining without Hardley riders,

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by H1w4yR1da
  • Like 1

Yes correct regarding the customizing, no other brand offers that amount of aftermarket parts, it's unbelievable what you can buy for a Harley in the US.

I personally got tired of all the chrome I had on my ex Road King, it was a never ending struggle to keep it looking nice, if out riding and you passed a shop washing the walkway in front of the shop, I said ohhh no, I have to wash & polish when getting home, he-he.

Yes I too think they sound good but don't like them too loud, drag pipes are just too loud. I had very nice Rush mufflers on mine and they only barked when really opening it up out on the high ways.

With the amount of fairly cheap big bikes you can now buy in Thailand it just don't make sense to buy a Harley here anymore unless you a 100 % HD fanatic or have enough money.

Being 100% fanatic towards one brand I never understood & you can't really comment on a bike you never tried, no matter what brand it is.

Eksample: Harley Sportster 883 year 2012 (2nd hand) I saw for sale here: 550K baht.

Ducati Hyperstrada 821 (brand new out of the shop, 2 years warranty), also 550K baht.

The HD have something like 45 hp, no abs no tc. The Ducati have 110 hp, abs and tc (if you want).

Okay comparing those 2 bikes can seems a bit odd but still: The choice is not hard to be honest.

You definitely can't compare them the Hyperstrada is the most butt ugly bike I have ever seen, I felt nauseous and had to close down Google.

You definitely can't compare them the Hyperstrada is the most butt ugly bike I have ever seen, I felt nauseous and had to close down Google.

He-he, I know you really can't compare, I was only comparing because of engine size and price.

Thankfully we all have different taste, or life would be dull/boring.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

I was about to pull you up on that statement, being a long time Ducati fan but after looking at Bologna's current line-up, there are some real serious fuglies there. The Panigales look amazing of course and the Monsters are ok but the rest, and especially the Hyperstrada are just hideous. Edited by H1w4yR1da

I was about to pull you up on that statement, being a long time Ducati fan but after looking at Bologna's current line-up, there are some real serious fuglies there. The Panigales look amazing of course and the Monsters are ok but the rest, and especially the Hyperstrada are just hideous.

The only Hyperstrada that appeals to me is the stripped down Pikes Peak Racer, but definitely not the street version, supposed clone...too much going on in that street design

i read this on another forum once

" I want to live my life according to moral behaviour not government laws, i kind of like the lawless attitude of bikies how ever they contradict their philosphy by stepping on other peoples toes, friend or foe

a fanged warning to bikies, govts, farang oozing their arrogance around thailand, the money printers

the red shirts are your creation

a mindless mob lashing out out the invisible hands fuc_king up the world with their immoral behaviour"

Sounds good (when one is high).

i read this on another forum once

" I want to live my life according to moral behaviour not government laws, i kind of like the lawless attitude of bikies how ever they contradict their philosphy by stepping on other peoples toes, friend or foe

a fanged warning to bikies, govts, farang oozing their arrogance around thailand, the money printers

the red shirts are your creation

a mindless mob lashing out out the invisible hands fuc_king up the world with their immoral behaviour"

Sounds good (when one is high).

When I was a kid my hero was Bronson - I know blank <deleted> stares. But if you are from US and older you can relate I'm sure if you had a passion for motorcycles. Sons of Anarchacy has fueled alot of wannabees. The small windshield has now become popular.

Now be honest, Doesn't the roar of a pack of Harleys stir the blood a little. It's a symbol of freedom.

I was at Bike Week a few years back held in Jomtien and while I enjoyed the bikes it was kinda funny to see the guys wearing knock off non leather appearal - you know fake leather vests with big eagles on back, cheap boots standing around. Great fun watching. I call these guys "Big Bird" Now every time we see a big motorcycle on the road my lady points out "big bird"

I find the rude comments directed towards the guys on big bikes a clue as to just how fukcde up and narrow minded some people are.

Carry on - Cheers

I used to have a bike when I was young nothing big just a triumph 300, and I enjoyed going out on it, but since I've been in

Thailand I've noticed (well you've got no option really) nearly all of the old guys on the big bikes

seem to rev the balls out of their bikes, they aren't going any faster than the scooters but the row out of them is ridiculous

I remember back then a biking enthusiast who had a big triumph Bonneville getting really pissed off at someone revving

his Bonneville at only a quarter of the rpm that these old fellas seem to like

so have big bikes changed and they have to be revved like mad for them to be driven,or is it a bit deeper than that and

all the row is a statement to their parents that although they weren't allowed a bike when they were young, they can now!

I used to have a bike when I was young nothing big just a triumph 300, and I enjoyed going out on it, but since I've been in

Thailand I've noticed (well you've got no option really) nearly all of the old guys on the big bikes

seem to rev the balls out of their bikes, they aren't going any faster than the scooters but the row out of them is ridiculous

I remember back then a biking enthusiast who had a big triumph Bonneville getting really pissed off at someone revving

so have big bikes changed and they have to be revved like mad for them to be driven,or is it a bit deeper than that and

all the row is a statement to their parents that although they weren't allowed a bike when they were young, they can now!

I can understand the Triumph guy being pissed at someone revving his bike, as everything above 1500 Rpm would have meant broken camshafts and oil all over the place biggrin.png

I can understand the Triumph guy being pissed at someone revving his bike, as everything above 1500 Rpm would have meant broken camshafts and oil all over the place biggrin.png

er does world land speed record and triumph Bonneville ring any bells or are the "real" big bikers only interested in

world decibel records.........car or bike a nice growl is fine but the racket out of some bikes is well o. t. t. in imho.

d40db742aba6beaf05cb7bcd3ce11c90.jpg?ito

Now be honest, Doesn't the roar of a pack of Harleys stir the blood a little. It's a symbol of freedom.

To me the biggest symbol of freedom is having universal healthcare, thereby being free not to be worried about accidents or potential wallet draining medical care.

I guess it is different for everyone!

• Like 1