The underpass fiasco

grumpyoldman

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Also, not seeing any drainage. The cement thats going in, once underwater, do they think it's going to hold up? I mean, you mix cement WITH water, right?"

How do you think concrete jetties and wharves are made?

Jetty's where I come from aren't made of concrete

attachicon.gifNewport Jetty.jpg

cement will go hard under water as long as it remains still

"Also, not seeing any drainage. The cement thats going in, once underwater, do they think it's going to hold up? I mean, you mix cement WITH water, right?"

cement will go hard under water as long as it remains still

Best one yet!...keep ‘em coming... laugh.png

Cement you are talking about,is designed to set underwater!

http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/pouring-foundations-water/

A news source that cannot be named is reporting the underpass will be completed on March six, 150 days longer than expected.

The extra work is to make sure it is not affected by flooding.

Holy crap.

Your thoughts.

Open on March 6th! Anyone taking bets?

Flood control an afterthought!!!!!

A news source that cannot be named is reporting the underpass will be completed on March six, 150 days longer than expected.

Holy crap.

Your thoughts.

Flood control an afterthought!!!!!

Looks like there are some large pumps down there.

• 4 weeks later...

The (ex) crossroads near Tesco Lotus is an absolute nightmare, getting to Tesco Lotus from Patong not too easy now, long detour round and U turn slots thin on the ground!!!

I actually prefer the way it is now.

Coming from the south and turning right towards the city, always involved long delays and several, lengthy, changes of lights. Now I can sail straight through, go about 1k past the intersection, make a hassle free U-turn and then back to Tesco for a left turn. Faster and less stress than the old system.,

The (ex) crossroads near Tesco Lotus is an absolute nightmare, getting to Tesco Lotus from Patong not too easy now, long detour round and U turn slots thin on the ground!!!

Coming from the south and turning right towards the city, always involved long delays and several, lengthy, changes of lights. Now I can sail straight through, go about 1k past the intersection, make a hassle free U-turn and then back to Tesco for a left turn. Faster and less stress than the old system.,

I agree, the new traffic system is working very well for everyone. The free flow on the main bypass road benefits every one, and the U-turns are easy enough.

Works fine, plenty of U turns?? Drive from Patong to go Tesco Lotus. Straight across at the crossroads cannot. Need to turn left. First U turn about 3-4 km up the road throwing you into a stream of single file traffic to get back to the ex crossroads. I guess working fine depends on where you are going and where you are coming from.

Works fine, plenty of U turns?? Drive from Patong to go Tesco Lotus. Straight across at the crossroads cannot. Need to turn left. First U turn about 3-4 km up the road throwing you into a stream of single file traffic to get back to the ex crossroads. I guess working fine depends on where you are going and where you are coming from.

Quite right, depends where you are going and where you are coming from. No doubt those travelling east/west are much more impacted than those travelling north/south. But I much prefer the u-turn idea than the jams waiting for the lights.

Can't wait for the Chalong underpass.

When is that pearl of wisdom commencing?

Remains in the 'study' phase = lots of fees being paid for BS.

I hope it never gets beyond the study phase. No workable alternative routes in that location.

Heard from someone else that the Chalong circle's watertable is too high to pull off an underpass. Flyover would be the idea.

• 3 weeks later...

Holy crap.

Your thoughts.

Did the underpass open on March 6? I haven't heard anything.

The last time I went near there it was closed.

Anyone have an update?

Holy crap.

Your thoughts.

Did the underpass open on March 6? I haven't heard anything.

The last time I went near there it was closed.

Anyone have an update?

March 6th was quoted but note that no year was given.

It is like most home constructions in Phuket where the finishing work seems to drag on forever. Seem to be extremely slow in doing Chalermprakiat Rd where there large drains are being put in but usually no one working on it. There is currently a bit of a bottleneck by Phuket International plus the ridiculous narrow section running alongside Lotus.

• 2 weeks later...

I see they've announced they will keep the east-west lanes over the tunnel at Tesco, closed, until the project is finished at the end of the year. ( cheesy.gifcheesy.gif )

They've noticed the U turn system works better than the intersection has in years and will leave it, as is, until finished.

Looks like the one near Central is almost complete.

Looking forward to it myself.

Will be interesting to see all those who said they'd never use it finding a way around it.

Good luck with that.

You can go straight through or turn right at the intersection same as before plus additional U turns just before the intersection.

Maybe they are waiting for the rains to arrive so they can properly test the floodwater pumps.

It's already 5 months late so another few won't make much difference.

Or they are probably trying to raise the cash for the monks to come and bless it.

They are not cheap you know

The official opening for the Central tunnel is to be on 6 April.

From recent pictures, I see they have painted lines on the road allowing for three lanes.

I can see a future of scores of mangled right fenders and squashed bike riders.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phukets-first-underpass-set-open-April-6/52622#ad-image-0

Edited by Old Croc