Russian first victim in Phuket's 10 Days of Danger

webfact

Russian first victim in Phuket’s 10 Days of Danger
Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- A 29-year-old Russian, Pavel Khristich, early this morning (December 26) became the first road statistic in the “Ten Days of Danger” road safety campaign declared by the government to cover the New Year period.

Mr Khristich died instantly when he crashed at quarter past midnight on the Kathu Tat Mai Rd, about 300 meters from the See Kor intersection in Patong.

Witnesses told police that he was riding a white Honda CBR 150 at high speed towards Patong when he lost control and crashed. He was launched off the bike and hit another bike coming in the opposite direction.

Phakawat Kongchangkid, 33, who was driving the other bike, was injured.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/russian-first-victim-in-phuket%E2%80%99s-10-days-of-danger-43677.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-12-26

Russian motorcyclist first death in Phuket safety campaign
Phuket Gazette

bike.jpg
A Russian died after crashing his CBR 250. No helmet was found at the scene. Photo: Thawit Bilabdullar

PHUKET: Phuket skated by the first day of the Ten Days of Danger campaign with zero deaths, but a big bike accident that killed a Russian early this morning puts the goal of zero road deaths out of reach.

The traditional Seven Days of Danger campaign was bumped to ten days in the hopes of saving more lives during the extended holiday period.

“This year, I would like to see ‘zero’ listed as the number of fatalities, and if possible I’d like to see ‘zero’ as the number of accidents,” Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut said just yesterday at the campaign’s launch (story here).

However, Thung Thong Police and Kusoldharm rescue workers were notified of a fatal accident just past midnight on Baan Kathu – Baan Samkong Road in front of the water treatment plant in Kathu.

Witnesses at the scene told police that the man riding a Honda CRB 250, a 29-year-old Russian man*, overshot a curve, bounced across the median and crashed into south-bound motorcyclist Pakawat Kongchang.

The Russian was pronounced dead at the scene, while 33-year-old Mr Pakawat was rushed to Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

“This is the first death reported during the 10 Days of Danger campaign. Please be careful and take care of yourself when driving,” Lt Sawanya Eiadtrong of the Thung Thong Police said.

*The Phuket Gazette is withholding the victim's name until confirming next of kin have been notified of his death.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Russian-motorcyclist-first-death-in-Phuket-safety-campaign-23104.html

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2013-12-26

The traditional Seven Days of Danger campaign was bumped to ten days in the hopes of saving more lives during the extended holiday period.

Oh, they think they gonna save lives by just announcing a campaign ? Why they don't extend the campaign to 365 days.

Wake up guys, you will have to take some actions to save lives.

• Like 1

“This year, I would like to see ‘zero’ listed as the number of fatalities, and if possible I’d like to see ‘zero’ as the number of accidents,” Phuket Governor Maitri Inthusut said just yesterday at the campaign’s launch (story here).

Wasn't the governor supposed to announce the speedcameras and the speedlimit at the Bypass Road on this occasion?

• Like 2

Oh, they think they gonna save lives by just announcing a campaign ? Why they don't extend the campaign to 365 days.

Wake up guys, you will have to take some actions to save lives.

Absolutely right!

Somebody can explain for me why Thai peoples hate wearing the helmet? And why the drivers (car) 90% on dual carriageway can't stay on they own line? They like to cut down the corners and don't care motorbikes next to them.

Propably low education? Or small man in big SUV feel himself stronger than anybody else?

• Like 1

Wasn't the governor supposed to announce the speedcameras and the speedlimit at the Bypass Road on this occasion?

Conclusive evidence that speed cameras do not save lives has them being turned off in England.

Don't encourage them here. They're just for State revenue. Most people, especially and obviously locals always slow down for the

cameras and speed up again, from say 60 to 70, 80 and 90 k in suburban roads I regularly drive. How does that save a life?

• Like 2

Somebody can explain for me why Thai peoples hate wearing the helmet? And why the drivers (car) 90% on dual carriageway can't stay on they own line? They like to cut down the corners and don't care motorbikes next to them.

Propably low education? Or small man in big SUV feel himself stronger than anybody else?

Maybe they understand that wearing crash helmets does not prevent accidents, as i do. wai2.gif

Driving test is so bad, a they have no sense of responsibility!

Conclusive evidence that speed cameras do not save lives has them being turned off in England.

Don't encourage them here. They're just for State revenue. Most people, especially and obviously locals always slow down for the

cameras and speed up again, from say 60 to 70, 80 and 90 k in suburban roads I regularly drive. How does that save a life?

So? Has the governor announced the speedlimit there?

The Russian was pronounced dead at the scene, while 33-year-old Mr Pakawat was rushed to Bangkok Hospital Phuket.

Glad he didn't kill anyone else.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Mr Pakawat.

I am just about to become unpopular again with some posters on this subject, but I call it as I see it. If the Russian was indeed riding at "high speed" as reported by witnesses, then he is better of dead rather than the poor guy who ended up in hospital. No apologies here for the lack of compassion.

Won't be the last I'm sure. Half of these Russians haven't ridden a bike before.

Thailand isn't the best place to learn.

And yet the Thais are allowed to rent bikes to people without a bike license.

No problem - the drivers signs a contract that absolvse the owner from any responsibility and the drivers pays all damages up to and over the value of the bike.

Won't be the last I'm sure. Half of these Russians haven't ridden a bike before.

No problem - the drivers signs a contract that absolvse the owner from any responsibility and the drivers pays all damages up to and over the value of the bike.

In which language is the contract? rolleyes.gif

In which language is the contract? rolleyes.gif

Good question. Usually Thai and English, but only the Thai script is legally binding. And tourists just sign anyway. Last year we flew into Udon, wanted to rent a vehicle, wife talked to a local outfit, they assured us that the vehicle carried full insurance, so off to their place, wife read the contract they wanted us to sign, we were responsible for all damages etc etc. Just BS, they only had limited insurance cover. Back to airport, rented from Avis offering real full insurance.

Dead men don't pay up.

Well apart from the fact the helmets are useless anyway as there are no standards. Girls won't wear them because the mess up their hair, boy s won't wear them because they are not masculine and the police won't wear them because they are (or above) the law.

As for them not staying in their lanes I asked a girl once if she knew what the lines on the road were for and she said no.....

Hope that explains it, don't forget most of the don't have a license anyway.....

Well apart from the fact the helmets are useless anyway as there are no standards. Girls won't wear them because the mess up their hair, boy s won't wear them because they are not masculine and the police won't wear them because they are (or above) the law.

As for them not staying in their lanes I asked a girl once if she knew what the lines on the road were for and she said no.....

Hope that explains it, don't forget most of the don't have a license anyway.....

Well apart from the fact that there’re good helmets, which aren’t useless anyway, as there’re standards? Girls won’t wear them, because they can’t chat on facebook then, boys should wear them because they are not feminine and the police won’t wear them (or below) under the law.

As for them staying in their lane I asked a girl twice if she knew what the blinds on the road do and she said yes.

Hope that doesn’t explain it, forget that less have no license anyway............

P.S. Are you also from Kazakhstan? -smile.png

Well apart from the fact that there’re good helmets, which aren’t useless anyway, as there’re standards? Girls won’t wear them, because they can’t chat on facebook then, boys should wear them because they are not feminine and the police won’t wear them (or below) under the law.

As for them staying in their lane I asked a girl twice if she knew what the blinds on the road do and she said yes.

Hope that doesn’t explain it, forget that less have no license anyway............

P.S. Are you also from Kazakhstan? -smile.png

So you think that the helmets sold in Thailand that are given with rental bikes and the majority of Thais use are good helmets? An ice cream bucket would do a better job of protecting you !! Well I import mine from the States so I know they are DOT approved. Have you seen any standard notice on a Thai helmet, even the better looking ones? If you know for a fact that they comply to a standard (especially one that is internationally accepted) please let me know what it is. Yes using the phone is also easier without one. So what is your explanation as to why the majority don't keep in their lane when driving a car? The one and only accident I have had (on my Harley) was when a Thai cut across and my front foot peg imbeded in his rear bumper, of course he stopped to assist me after I went carrering across the other side of the road after having come off (NOT). As for the Kazakhstan comment, you might try to improve your English by using the spell checker.....