Up close and personal with a superhero

Lite Beer

PEOPLE IN THE NEWS
Up close and personal with a superhero
Noppatjak Attanon
Special to The Nation

30226911-01_big.gif
Chadchart, right, and Nation TV

BANGKOK: -- Caretaker transport minister Chadchart Sittipunt is amused about his newly acquired "mightiest minister" status

When politician Chadchart Sittipunt headed out on an early morning trip to a Surin temple last month, he had little idea that this simple and mundane act would turn him into the "mightiest minister on the Earth". The title owes nothing to his giving of alms but everything to his chosen attire that bright morning: a black vest and black shorts that did nothing to hide an impressive physique.

An enterprising paparazzo captured the moment and Chadchart went from caretaker transport minister to superstar hunk in the click of the shutter.

"I think I'm merely a rookie when it comes to politics," Chadchart says, modestly brushing aside any suggestion that his "power" might reign over anything more important than mobile-phone games and action figures.

No one, least of all Chadchart, knows why photo of him dressed down has earned him so many fans. Within hours, the snap had gone viral and Chadchart fever was raging on the social networks.

And despite being more than a couple of weeks old, an age in today's online community, Chadchart fever has failed to die down, inspiring everything from photo ops to action figures and cosplay.

Chadchart might deny that he is akin to a superhero as the photo-shopped pictures suggest. Yet, despite the political heat on the Pheu Thai-led government, he is enjoying growing popularity in what can only be described as a new phenomenon.

Never before in Thai history has a minister been idolised as a superhero - even in jest - and become a character for mobile-phone games and figurines.

Photo-shopped images exaggerating his muscle power have appeared all over the Internet, often tagged with messages that boast of his superpowers.

In several online photos, Chadchart is ranked alongside Marvel's superheroes from "The Avengers".

Several others show him as a superman while some go the whole hog and claim Chadchart can cause a giant hole on a road by simply pressing on the tarmac.

"At first, I was bewildered," Chadchart says about his superhero photos during an interview with Nation's TV show "Nation Midnight".

Mostly though, he's amused. Certainly Chadchart has given people something to smile about and take their minds away, even briefly, from the tense situation on Bangkok's streets.

"I laughed out loud when I found a photo-shopped picture on the Net showing me in a sleeveless grandma-style blouse," says the married father of one.

Comments on the amusing pictures have come from people from both sides of the political divide.

While Chadchart was being interviewed by Nation TV, anti-government demonstrators were on the street under the leadership of the People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC). The demonstrators are demanding that the current caretaker government step down and want an end to the "Thaksin Regime". The caretaker government, led by the former premier's youngest sister Yingluck, has been under pressure for months but it has not given in. In the meantime, Thai society is more divided than ever before.

Hardly surprising then that Chadchart knows exactly how he would use his superman powers were he given the opportunity.

"I want the kind of power that will make people start turning to each other, listen and stop fighting," he says. "Only with that power can I really be the mightiest."

A new face to politics, Chadchart entered the ranks of the Pheu Thai party just a few years ago. Before that, he was an assistant rector of Chulalongkorn University.

His curriculum vitae is impressive. After he received the Bachelor of Engineering from the CU with first class honours in 1987, he earned an MS (Civil Engineering) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology and 1993, received his PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

After his return to Thailand, he sat on the board of many state enterprises.

Because he had served as a political adviser, he was the natural choice for a Cabinet post.

"My mother was upset when I went into politics. When I told her I was to become a deputy transport minister in the Yingluck-led government in early 2012, she cried.

"But I haven't changed my mind. I will do what I can do for the country. Today, my mum is very supportive," he says.

He insists that different political views within his family have had little impact on his relationships, smiling as he confirms his twin brother joined a march against the Amnesty Bill, the passing of which triggered the anti-government sentiments and eventually led to Yingluck dissolving the House.

"We still love each other. It's just that we have different opinions. To me, that's the beauty of democracy," he says.

He firmly believes that coming together and talking is the best way to resolve the current issues to the satisfaction of all.

"Together, we can explore possible solutions," he says.

For now, Chadchart may have to content himself with convincing his fans. His Facebook page now has at least 565,231 likes and some 125,000 people are talking about it.

Chadchart says he's thinking of ways to meet his fans.

"Perhaps, we go out and do something together to help society," he says. "We could clean train compartments; they certainly need it."

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-16

• Like 1

I noticed one thing is that farang posters in general cannot seem to accept if the adoration is on some asian male. Another politician that is admired or praised for his physique or manliness is putin and somehow nobody has any problem with that even though a politician's job has nothing to do with any physical endeavors or his physical appearance.

With the worlds third highest rate of road fatalities,the numerous bus crashes ( one just yesterday) and train derailments,how can he be considered the mightiest minister on Earth? Is this what constitutes a super hero???......Oh it's a strange country.

• Like 1

I noticed one thing is that farang posters in general cannot seem to accept if the adoration is on some asian male. Another politician that is admired or praised for his physique or manliness is putin and somehow nobody has any problem with that even though a politician's job has nothing to do with any physical endeavors or his physical appearance.

But honestly though, I think he looks a bit chubby. Putin on the other hand is a black belt in Judo and has recently been awarded his 9th Dan in Taekwondo.

This is the same guy who gave up waiting for the bus and ordered his limo to take him to where needed to be ,and then he was on the failed train opening up north when it again derailed,Super hero no,i prefer batman anyway

Chadchart is garnering a lot of support from the Thais. My wife, like many others, is now following him on facebook, twitter etc.

The tramsport ministry trasitionally has been seen as the most corrupt and exemplifying the worst of Thai politics, so when a relative outsider came in, and actually started going in buses and trains to find out what was happening, the Thais were impressed.

This "common touch" is sorely missing in most of the politicians who are seen as elitist and self aggrandising.

If, and it is a big if, Chadchart has managed to remain uncorrupted in his short time as minister, then he could prove to be the saviour of the PT party and the way out of the current impasse.

If Yingluck and her coterie were to step down in favour of an interim administration run by Chadchart, with a remit to enact meaningful reforms and then to hold a new election, they could take all of the steam out of the protests.

My fear is that he has already been ensnared in the shin machine and could not provide an indeoendence that is needed at the present time

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Absolutely incredible how a national newspaper and a multitude of media followers can ascertain from a photograph, that to become a superhero of the people all you need to do is put on a t-shirt, shorts, forget your flip flops and be caught carrying lunch for two beside an effeminate friend.

Not called Amazing Thailand for nothing, eh.........................wink.png

What a crock

"I think I'm merely a rookie when it comes to politics,"

Understatement which applies to most pollies.....but for this guy to say it, he must actually realise he's useless!

and his contribution has been ?

perhaps if he actually started paying attention to transport in this country he might make a difference were it counts - below just one of many 100's last 2 years

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/704709-chachoengsao-bus-crash-injures-32/

A strong indication about the state of Thai politics.

"My mother was upset when I went into politics. When I told her I was to become a deputy transport minister in the Yingluck-led government in early 2012, she cried"

She cried because she knew that he knew sod all about being a transport minister.....or any other minister for that matter !

Stupid Thai comedians.

Interesting. Are you saying that the minister who holds a Bachelor of Engineering from the CU with first class honours, an MS (Civil Engineering) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign stupid?

Very interesting.

I think your confusing intelligence and education, a higher education is not a measure of intelligence by any stretch of the immigination.

educated idiots if you prefer...wink.png

A strong indication about the state of Thai politics.

"My mother was upset when I went into politics. When I told her I was to become a deputy transport minister in the Yingluck-led government in early 2012, she cried"

She cried because she knew that he knew sod all about being a transport minister.....or any other minister for that matter !

Maybe his Mom cried because he dropped the name of a Shinawatra.

Stupid Thai comedians.

Interesting. Are you saying that the minister who holds a Bachelor of Engineering from the CU with first class honours, an MS (Civil Engineering) from Massachusetts Institute of Technology and a PhD in Civil Engineering from the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign stupid?

Very interesting.

"Stupid Thai comedians".

...and this from a guy that can't even spell his own name clap2.gif

Edited by Boxclever